Children's Books Suggestions

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Arla
Popsicle kid

Children's Books Suggestions

Post by Arla »

My younger sister is nine and she really likes to read. My family has given her all the books we know of so I thought I'd asked you people for suggestions. She just needs some really good books. So got any ideas? :read: I would list out all the books she has read so far but that would take too long, so suggest away.
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

The Series of Unfortunate Events is awsome!
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Nancy Drew and the Laura Ingalls Wilder books were (and are) two of my very favorites when I was growing up. The LIW books are very easy to read as is Nancy Drew. There is nothing graphic or bad in either series.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

There are too many to list, especially not knowing what she has already read. At that age, I loved Roald Dahl (OK, I still do), Nancy Drew, Bobbsey Twins, Anne of Green Gables, Chronicles of Narnia... Maybe ask the same question of your local librarian?
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

Well, the few nine year olds that I know, still like the Scholastic books.

http://content.scholastic.com/browse/read.jsp
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Darcie wrote:There are too many to list, especially not knowing what she has already read. At that age, I loved Roald Dahl (OK, I still do), Nancy Drew, Bobbsey Twins, Anne of Green Gables, Chronicles of Narnia... Maybe ask the same question of your local librarian?
Yes! I heartily agree with all of those. Another series that I liked was The Mandie Series by Lois Gladys Leppard. They are mysteries...that I think are Christian. But I can't be sure as I haven't read any for 6 years or so.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Christina S wrote:
Darcie wrote:There are too many to list, especially not knowing what she has already read. At that age, I loved Roald Dahl (OK, I still do), Nancy Drew, Bobbsey Twins, Anne of Green Gables, Chronicles of Narnia... Maybe ask the same question of your local librarian?
Yes! I heartily agree with all of those. Another series that I liked was The Mandie Series by Lois Gladys Leppard. They are mysteries...that I think are Christian. But I can't be sure as I haven't read any for 6 years or so.
Yes, that series is Christian. I read all the books that there were a number of years ago and still own a bunch of them, though more books have been written since I kind of outgrew them. I loved them for years, though! \:D/

I would recommend Sigmund Brouwer's books - he has a kids series called the Accidental Detectives that's pretty good, though it's older (though some of them were re-released within the last few years) so some of them might be hard to find. He has some other kids books too that are good, though some of them are sports-oriented and directed maybe a bit more towards boys than girls, though personally I still enjoyed them!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I would let her read the Bible and nothing else! :noway:
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Gulag Archipelago
nutmeg2011
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by nutmeg2011 »

definitely have her try the christy miller books, by robin jones gunn. they are a Christian series, and i loved them. robin jones gunn has also written a bunch of other books that correspond with christy miller, and she is about to come out with a new series, which i definitely plan on reading \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I totally agree! I should have thought of that myself, because I've read those books so many times! \:D/ The only thing is that they might be a bit too mature for a nine-year-old. :-k Maybe a few years later would be better.
Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

Yeah...unfortunately the Christy Miller series is more of a Christian romance series (though it also deals a lot with your walk with God and growing in Christ during your teenage years).... I would highly recommend them as well, but not until later.

The Night of the Twisters was one of my favorites at that age! And if she hasn't read all of the Chronicles of Narnia yet, I would definitely second that suggestion! Also the Ramona Quimby books if she hasn't read them yet.
LadyCordelia
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by LadyCordelia »

The BetsyTacy books by Maud Lovelace Hart are really good

Beverly Cleary books...like the aforementioned Ramona Quimby books, Henry Huggins, Ellen Tebbits etc.

Anything by Eleanor Estes...i.e. The Moffats, Rufus M., Ginger Pye
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

LadyCordelia wrote:The BetsyTacy books by Maud Lovelace Hart are really good

Beverly Cleary books...like the aforementioned Ramona Quimby books, Henry Huggins, Ellen Tebbits etc.

Anything by Eleanor Estes...i.e. The Moffats, Rufus M., Ginger Pye
oooh yes! Eleanor Estes books are really good.

And I totally forgot about the Betsy Tacy books! I LOVED those ones! \:D/
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Booklover
Classic

Post by Booklover »

The Nancy drew Notebooks and the Hardy boys as the clue Brothers!
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

I still love those books!!! :D ... :anxious:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

v-lady93 wrote:
I still love those books!!! :D ... :anxious:
Me too!! I grew up on those books.
PJ
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: wandering in the desert, searching for my promised land

Post by PJ »

LadyCordelia wrote:Beverly Cleary books...like the aforementioned Ramona Quimby books, Henry Huggins, Ellen Tebbits etc.
YES!!!

Hank the Cowdog series by John Erickson
Three Cousins Detective Club series by Elspeth Campbell Murphy
Cul-De-Sac Kids series by Beverly Lewis
Mandie series by Lois Gladys Leppard (As mentioned before)
Serenity series by Buzz Dixon
The Boxcar Children series by Gertrude Chandler Warner
Books by Shel Silverstein
AstroKids series by Robert Elmer
AirQuest Adventures series by Jerry B. Jenkins
Chosen Girls Series by Cheryl Crouch, G Studios
The Sugar Creek Gang series by Paul Hutchens
Soul Surfer Fiction Series by Rick Bundschuh, Bethany Hamilton
Grandma's Attic series by Arleta Richardson
Incredible Worlds of Wally McDoogle series by Bill Myers

That's all...for now!

My teacher in fifth grade used to read the Mandie books to the class. Even the boys enjoyed! :D
Last edited by PJ on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Ahh! I love the Grandma's Attic books - that's a great recommendation, PJ! :D I still own almost all of them and read them now and then. The Wally McDoogle books are a ton of fun too, though, at least to me, they're less timeless.
Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

:D The Boxcar Children! I used to read those! My favorite was always the first one though...the others just seemed disappointing in comparison.

I used to be addicted to the Babysitters' Club books, but I don't know if I'd recommend them or not... :-k
Does anyone else have an opinion on them?