Little kids having their ears pierced

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Arla
Popsicle kid

Little kids having their ears pierced

Post by Arla »

I am amazed at the amount of small children that have peirced! I have never understood why parents pierce their kids ears. Especially when they are so small and have no clue whats going on! I just don't know.
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

I had to wait till I was 12 before I could get mine pieced and when I was 14 My mom said I could get a second piecing beside the first..... after that she said no more piecing! So now Ive got two piecing on each of my ear lobes. (If that makes since) And My two sis had to wait till they were 10 and 8..... But I think they should have waited till they were at least 12 like me...... but that is m opion. :anxious:

RR
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

It is common in some cultures to do it when the child is a newborn. I guess they won't have much of a memory of any pain doing it then! Little tiny baby earrings are cute, but I think it's something to do later. I had mine done when I was around 8 or 9, but I don't even wear any now because my ears are allergic to everything. :(
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I'm not getting my ears pierced ever! :noway:
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

It's common practice in my culture, and my family, for the girls to have their ears pierced as babies.
I did, and I am so glad that my parents chose to do so, because while I like having my ears pierced, I'm way to chicken to go and get them done at my current age.

In people who are prone to getting severe keloid scars, it's best to have your ears pierced when you're younger (as in, when you're a baby), and your skin tissue is softer, rather than when you're older, and the risk of keloid scars increases.

I'll be going this route if I have children (or if I even have girls), but that's just me. I know a lot of people think it's barbaric, to choose pierced ears for young babies who don't (and kind of can't :p) have a say, but I don't really see it that way.

Sarah
actinglove299
Sing in the sunshine

Post by actinglove299 »

My mom made me wait until i was 13, and I got them pierced when I was 14. I can't wear anything in them because my ears are just wierd... so it was kind of a waste of time and money.
I think I would rather let my daughter choose if she wanted them or not, around when she was 8 or 9.
Waluigi Freak 99
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Waluigi Freak 99 »

I don't see the point.
Everything written in this post is false.
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

Man... Its like... I don't even have my ears pierced!

-Robo
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

My mom had my ears pierced when I was little.

--------------------------------------------
"I’m done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning,
smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap
living, and dwarfed goals...I am a disciple of Jesus."
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

My mom had my first holes done when I was like 2 months old. I got my second ones when I was 10, and the third ones when I was 16. :D
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

Hey, as long as the kid pays for the piercings themselves, I don't mind how young they get them.
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

Konservative Kid wrote:I am amazed at the amount of small children that have peirced! I have never understood why parents pierce their kids ears. Especially when they are so small and have no clue whats going on! I just don't know.
I have no clue why they shouldn't have their ears peirced at a young age. I mean... what, is ear peircing an immoral act when you're young all of a sudden? :-s
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

no I am guessing that the peeps here think that kids should wait till they can make the decision for themselves cuz that decision will stay with them the rest of their lives......

RR
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

RioRenae wrote:no I am guessing that the peeps here think that kids should wait till they can make the decision for themselves cuz that decision will stay with them the rest of their lives......

RR
If it's that big of a deal to the kids, they can always let the holes grow closed. It's not like it's a permanent thing that can never be changed... I agree with Xiao, I don't really see what the big deal is. And, I think that most little girls love having pierced ears.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Arwen

Post by Arwen »

I'm not sure what I think about it...

I don't think I'll pierce my girls' ears before they are old enough to decide for themselves if they want piercings. I don't think I'll put an age restriction on when they can get their first holes...though if I think they won't be diligent to clean their ears during those first weeks, I might not let them.

More holes will wait until their older.
Booklover
Classic

Post by Booklover »

I think nobody should have theirs done I mean ur earlobs can get rly big
I don't even have mine done
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

After looking through this topic... I realized I do not have my ears pierced.
Arwen

Post by Arwen »

You didn't realize BEFORE reading this? Hmmm...

Anyway, unless you're wearing really heavy earrings, or purposely wearing stuff to make your ears bigger, your earlobes won't stretch from wearing earrings. They're fine, and they don't do damage unless your ears are really sensative.
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

Arwen wrote:You didn't realize BEFORE reading this? Hmmm...

Anyway, unless you're wearing really heavy earrings, or purposely wearing stuff to make your ears bigger, your earlobes won't stretch from wearing earrings. They're fine, and they don't do damage unless your ears are really sensative.
Nah, I knew anyway, what I didn't realize was the significance that (some) people place on pierced ears.
trinity4888
Gold Member

Post by trinity4888 »

Sarah wrote:It's common practice in my culture, and my family, for the girls to have their ears pierced as babies.
I did, and I am so glad that my parents chose to do so, because while I like having my ears pierced, I'm way to chicken to go and get them done at my current age.

In people who are prone to getting severe keloid scars, it's best to have your ears pierced when you're younger (as in, when you're a baby), and your skin tissue is softer, rather than when you're older, and the risk of keloid scars increases.

I'll be going this route if I have children (or if I even have girls), but that's just me. I know a lot of people think it's barbaric, to choose pierced ears for young babies who don't (and kind of can't :p) have a say, but I don't really see it that way.

Sarah
Ok, I agree with EVERYTHING Sarah said here.
The only thing I have against getting your ears pierced very young is the story below, and said story is not enough to prevent me from piercing my (future) daughter's ears when they are babies. Although it did prevent my mom from piercing my little sisters ears until she was about 6.

Short story:
When I was a small baby I had my ears pierced. When I was a bit older than that, I think it was 2 but my memory may not serve me correctly, I was in a car seat with straps by my head. See where this story is going? By some force (I honestly cannot remember how) my earing got stuck in the car seat strap and the car screeched to a halt (to no fault of my parents I'm sure). My ear was torn. Not in two, just streched out. It has since healed but one ear is longer than the other, although it is sometimes hard to see, and the hole is more streched out than it should be. I can fit wider things into one hole than I can in the other.
I am sorry if the story has disturbed you. Appearently, it disturbed my mother.
~Trinity B.~
Trinity: I don't believe in the catagoration of food. If it wants to be a fruit it can be fruit. If it wants to be vegetable it can be a vegetable. In todays society anyone and anything can be whatever they so wish.
Siblings: How do you know which it wants to be?
Trinity: I just ask! I say 'Hey apple! You wanna be a fruit or a vegetable?' And the apple will say back to me 'Well, I always wanted to be a vegetable.' So I just say back 'Thus you are' and down the hatch said vegetable goes!