the collective 'he'

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

I've occasionally seen "he" or "she" being randomly mixed up to refer to a hypothetical person, when "he" would probably have been more common before. To use it universally is kind of odd.

(Then again, I wouldn't have used "he" as my go-to word for gender neutrality, either.)
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Er, not. Little people are not objects, or things, ever. :P So they deserve proper reference.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

As far as the collective 'he' issue, I don't think there's really a right or wrong way. The English language changes all the time - what's 'correct' grammar now will be seen as archaic in the future - why shouldn't 'she' start being used collectively too? Is there any reason why both can't be used?

But as to the textbook; perhaps I'm wrong, but it could be that the used author intentionally 'she' to avoid discrimination in a field that's largely male-dominated. I'd imagine it would have a similar effect as using 'he' in a book about nursing, or teaching, or other female-dominated roles.

I'm rather conscious about that sort of thing since I started college. Girls are definitely in the minority in our computer science class, and it's easy to feel out of place. :boohoo:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Smaug the Dragon wrote:why shouldn't 'she' start being used collectively too? Is there any reason why both can't be used?
No there is not, and if it becomes proper then that’s great. But it is not currently proper, to my knowledge, so it appear unprofessional to use it prematurely.
Smaug the Dragon wrote:it could be that the used author intentionally 'she' to avoid discrimination in a field that's largely male-dominated.
That’s very possible. But that’s also my point. Using it for that kind of reason is sexist, in a backwards way.