Halloween

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Smaug the Dragon wrote:
bookworm wrote:
Lee wrote:What's a subnet mask?
It’s difficult to explain to an outsider. Very simply put, it’s a binary string that is used to manipulate a network address.
haha, an "outsider"? :p

We usually just turn off all the lights at the front of the house and pretend that nobody's home. The kids don't usually come to our house anyway. I think it might be because of that one year when my brother dressed in black and hid on our roof and dropped flour bombs on the Trick or Treaters. :lol: good times
And no one complained? :shock:
*insert provocative quote here*
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

IDANCE4JESUS wrote:
Smaug the Dragon wrote:
bookworm wrote:
It’s difficult to explain to an outsider. Very simply put, it’s a binary string that is used to manipulate a network address.

We usually just turn off all the lights at the front of the house and pretend that nobody's home. The kids don't usually come to our house anyway. I think it might be because of that one year when my brother dressed in black and hid on our roof and dropped flour bombs on the Trick or Treaters. :lol: good times
Why would they? :-?
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Smaug the Dragon wrote:
IDANCE4JESUS wrote:
Smaug the Dragon wrote:
bookworm wrote:

People used to always pull pranks on people on Halloween. As long as no one was physically hurt, it's no biggie. ;) right?

\:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Smaug the Dragon wrote:haha, an "outsider"? :p
Yes.
Lee wrote:I actually love computers... (fixing routers etc.)
You work with routers but didn't know what a subnet mask is? :-s

Anyway, he just made the remark on the fly, paused for a second to think about what he said, then started laughing. He was like “Yeah, with ones all over it. That’s almost too good.”
(to outsiders: The result of applying a subnet mask is to turn the string to 1’s)
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Lee wrote:
Smaug the Dragon wrote:
IDANCE4JESUS wrote:
Smaug the Dragon wrote:
bookworm wrote:

People used to always pull pranks on people on Halloween. As long as no one was physically hurt, it's no biggie. ;) right?
That's where "Trick or Treat" comes from. It used to be that if you didn't give a "treat", the kids would play a "trick" like ding-dong ditch or TP-ing a tree or a bush.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Christian A. wrote:That's where "Trick or Treat" comes from. It used to be that if you didn't give a "treat", the kids would play a "trick" like ding-dong ditch or TP-ing a tree or a bush.
Yeah, but they were tricking the kids there.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

American Eagle wrote:
Whitty Whit wrote:
American Eagle wrote:^ Not sure if serious.
I'm semi-serious.
We are passing out candy tonight though. I hate passing out candy... There goes my night of peacefully doing homework. :P
Dude, passing out candy to little kids is like the best feeling ever! :noway:
Especially when you know how much poison they're about to consume. :twisted:
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

we live near an elementary school, and last year on Halloween night some kids TP-d the entire school, trees and bushes surrounding the school, and pushed over the portable toilet. It was a total mess.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

bookworm wrote:(to outsiders: The result of applying a subnet mask is to turn the string to 1’s)
You geeks have no idea how geeky you sound to the rest of us. :lol:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Lee wrote:
Sherlock wrote:My family basically allowed trick-or-treating with the neighbor kids and all that, though I wasn't supposed to dress as anything truly "evil." However, as I was a weird, homeschool kid that didn't really like chocolate, I never really understood the appeal in collecting and eating tons of candy all at once. >.<

Anyway, I think I dressed up as the Little Mermaid when I was like 5 or something and had to carry this giant tail around with me, which was rather dumb. :( Later years included such favorites as Zorro, Sherlock Holmes, Hillary Clinton and Mary Queen of Scots. And something nerdy like binary code or something in college.
Hillary Clinton? :huh: Words escape me.
One of my friends went as Bill. ;)
bookworm wrote:
Sherlock wrote:And something nerdy like binary code or something in college.
It’s really funny you would say something like that, in networking class today my instructor said we should wear ‘subnet masks’ tonight. :lol:
Nice!
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

We do absolutely NOTHING for halloween.. apparently it's "not a Christian holiday" *not my words.... they're my mothers*
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

I went to my church and walked around with some friends for a while. Other then that, we handed out candy at home and I am now doing homework :thud:

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

We had dinner, and now I'm working on schoolwork. Just an ordinarily normal night for the most part. My cousins stopped by for a half hour or something with some candy though.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Sherlock wrote:
Lee wrote:
Sherlock wrote:My family basically allowed trick-or-treating with the neighbor kids and all that, though I wasn't supposed to dress as anything truly "evil." However, as I was a weird, homeschool kid that didn't really like chocolate, I never really understood the appeal in collecting and eating tons of candy all at once. >.<

Anyway, I think I dressed up as the Little Mermaid when I was like 5 or something and had to carry this giant tail around with me, which was rather dumb. :( Later years included such favorites as Zorro, Sherlock Holmes, Hillary Clinton and Mary Queen of Scots. And something nerdy like binary code or something in college.
Hillary Clinton? :huh: Words escape me.
One of my friends went as Bill. ;)
Now that I would love to see a picture of.

@bookworm My router fixing consists of turning it off and back on, making sure all the cables are secure, and if necessary pushing the reset button to remove the password. :p

\:D/
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Some things are better left un-photographed. \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I had a great Halloween. :)

My college had a lot of fun stuff going on.
Lots of students and staff were in costumes, the theater group had a table for free zombie makeup, and there was an office decoration contest.
One of the business offices was decorated like the Addams Family home and all the staff in it were in costume as one of the family members. They all looked perfect. And they played the Addams Family theme in an endless loop and did the snapping part when someone came in. It was really great!
And the college president’s office was decorated like the Oval Office! :P
And there was a bunch of other stuff going on that I didn’t even get to check out. There was a costume contest, some other booths and things, and I saw a sign for a Thriller dance performance. I really wanted to check that out, but I guess I just missed it.

After class I went to that friend’s house. We didn’t decorate this time because it was already pretty late. Usually I can go over earlier because it isn’t on a school day.
We hung around for a while to give out candy, but no one came by. I don’t think anyone was even out, it was raining unfortunately.
When the rain stopped we put on costumes and walked around the neighborhood and trick or treated at a few houses.
When we went back we divided the candy and listened to some tracks from the Monster Mash album.
We hung out for a little while longer and then I went home.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

I had to work yesterday evening, and we were not permitted to dress up. :(
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I went as Amy Pond from Day of the Moon, two parts combined. It was pretty awesome, if I do say so myself. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein