Log of site issues

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

No offense intended but I am with snubs on this one.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I'm not offended in any way. But here's what's going to happen if the site errors are continuing to be a problem and people demand something be done.
1. I'm updating it to the latest version and potentially not replacing features that are not compatible or features will be replaced as I/others have time to work on them.
2. Existing styles will be removed and replaced as I have time to update them. Some styles will not be updated.
3. If errors persist, then we will think about asking Shadowpaw to make a hosting change.

So which band of angry villagers do I want to confront? The anti-change people, or the angered at free things not working people? ;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Don't change anything! :demonstration: :insane: :protest:

Just kidding. If it fixes everything go for it. I would appreciate a new version (but looks similar/the same) of newToO, as it's been said this one always has trouble with new features, though.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Sounds like a plan, darcie. Thanks.

I keep thinking it's just my computer, but knowing that other people are having issues I don't think that is the case.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Thank you darcie. snubs, I used to think it was my computer and internet setup too. I would rather have a forum that works properly over what we have now. I will deal with whatever changes come when (or if) the time comes.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

To start, I tried a few ways to ban a robot from reading this site. It was loading a bunch of pages at the same time and being quite annoying. I think I finally kicked it off. Less page requests by the bot means faster for you. I also added a couple of other bot names so they'll browse more efficiently. I still want to update, but let's see if this helps a smidge.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Don't change anything! :demonstration: :insane: :protest:

Not kidding. This is the only style of our current options I can use. If the comment about the people ‘demanding’ something be done was directly or partially directed at me, please know that’s not what I’m doing. These outages are just inconveniences to me, not problems. I’m not posting them to harass people until something is done, I’m just doing it to notify people of what’s going on because several things can cause server problems and perhaps it’s something that can be addressed easily. For all I know, the bad weather could be affecting quality somehow at the moment and it will get better in a few days.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I'm most impressed by you being here on the weekend. I thought we were going to have to wait until Monday for your response!
If you can only use one of the styles, there's probably a good technologic reason. I'd rather work with you on what that is than hold up all progress. Eventually we NEED to update. We actually needed to do it already, but I've pushed it back. Styles need to be updated, but this will make them work better for everyone, in theory. Can you PM me about what it is about the one style that you can use vs the others? Thanks!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

darcie wrote:I'm most impressed by you being here on the weekend. I thought we were going to have to wait until Monday for your response!
Indeed, this is a rare occasion. Good thing too. PM sent.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just got the "Safari cannot connect to the Server" message three times while trying to get here.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I just got this message:
XML Parsing Error: unexpected parser state
Location: jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/omni.ja!/chrome/toolkit/content/global/netError.xhtml
Line Number 304, Column 68: <div id="ed_connectionFailure">&connectionFailure.longDesc;</div>
-------------------------------------------------------------------^
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Woodstock wrote:I just got this message:
XML Parsing Error: unexpected parser state
Location: jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/omni.ja!/chrome/toolkit/content/global/netError.xhtml
Line Number 304, Column 68: <div id="ed_connectionFailure">&connectionFailure.longDesc;</div>
-------------------------------------------------------------------^
That's a Firefox error that is probably their version of Safari's can't connect problem. But why it looks so ugly, I don't know. ;)
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

No, there's a different message that comes up for the Firefox version of "Safari can't connect". I've never seen this one before.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It’s still a Firefox error though, not a site one. Though it may have been thrown as a response to a site issue.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Then it is this, basically. How about we call it a Firefox error in response to a site connection error? https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=569229
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That sounds right to me. It's both their fault! :x
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Well, Dreamhost had an outage and then fried yesterday. If the site goes down for a long period of time you can check here for updates if the issue is on their end: http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I have gotten the "Safari cannot connect to the server" message three times today. Is this connected to yesterday's outage or something else?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but I was trying to log onto the chat room and I got redirected to a really inappropriate site.

I tried again 5 minutes later and it was fine. Maybe just a fluke?
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

No, this is not the right topic to post that in. There isn't really, except the Log of Site Issues. I could ask Tim about what happened, but I don't think it's anything other than a fluke. If it happens again, though...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.