the collective 'he'

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Hadassah wrote:Well men are better than women so they deserve all they get. Women are never as skilled as men at anything outside of the home.

Are you serious...? :|
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Hadassah wrote:Well men are better than women so they deserve all they get. Women are never as skilled as men at anything outside of the home.
Exactly. In fact, why are you guys online? BACK TO THE KITCHEN!
Last edited by EK on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

It's not collective, but refers to one person whose gender is unknown. That's why 'they' would be incorrect. I thought 'he or she' was the PC version, not 'she,' because, as any simpleton can see, 'she' simply turns it into the opposite issue.

Although there may be more sexist males than females, it seems quite clear that there is no chauvinistic intent behind use of the form 'he'; I'm fine with 'he or she' though.

Actually, I prefer the term one (the 'he' for a gender unknown seems to be used in hypothetical situations where 'one' works just as well, e.g., "If one were to lock oneself in the kitchen, whether man or woman, sandwiches would inexorably ensue").
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Moontide wrote:I would argue that collective "she" is common enough to be proper grammar.
I would not agree, because this is the first time I have ever seen it used, to my recollection. I may have seen it once or twice before in passing, but never used this consistently and obviously intentionally.
Termite wrote:I'd say that author is a bit off his rack.
Well to be fair, I don’t know that he’s actually doing it completely intentionally, maybe it’s just a habit. It’s just that, since he uses it every single time and he is a male, it comes off at first glance as some kind of weird overcompensation for potentially being chauvinistic if he used ‘he’ instead. I wouldn’t mind if he used ‘she’ some of the time and ‘he’ some of the time, though it would still throw me a bit because I’m not used to it, but it’s the fact that he’s using ‘she’ every time that’s getting to me more than anything.
Kait wrote:So it's NOT sexist for them to use "he" as gender neutral, but it IS sexist for them to use "she" as the gender neutral.
That’s not what I meant. As I said in the previous paragraph, it’s not that he’s using it that bothers me, it’s that he’s using it exclusively. Also, ‘he’ is and always has been linguistically agreed to be inclusive, so no that is not sexist. ‘She’ is not agreed upon that way, at least not in a widespread way, so depending on the reason for insisting on using it, yes that could be.
ique wrote:I find it pretty interesting that you guys are bothered by this, while it's apparently not okay for any women to take offence at 'he'.
Again, not what I said. Of course it’s okay for a woman to take offense at ‘he’ if they want to, all I said is there’s really no basis to do that because it’s not used to be exclusive, it’s agreed to be inclusive. I am not bothered that he’s using ‘she’ because of the word, simply because it’s improper grammar, and thus in my opinion improper form for a college textbook.
31899 wrote:What is the subject of your textbook?
Computer security.
ric wrote:It's not collective, but refers to one person whose gender is unknown.
I meant collective gender, you’re correct that it’s just an individual person.
ique
Found

Post by ique »

ric wrote:... e.g., "If one were to lock oneself in the kitchen, whether man or woman, sandwiches would inexorably ensue").
^__^

Bookworm, can you give us an excerpt from your textbook? I'm actually having kind of a difficult time imagining what this reads like.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Sure, here are two examples:
When the thief observes the guards, however, she finds that the guards do not change shifts at the same time each night.
If the attacker chooses, she may also work to maliciously damage the infected computer or network.
Skimming ahead, it’s not actually every time through the whole book, he starts changing it up eventually. But the use of ‘she’ seems to remain disproportionate at a brief glance.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

That just sounds strange, why would anyone do that? I wish this world was normal. ](*,)
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I love the way IC just totally descended on this thread. \:D/

..fwiw, I always thought it was weird to use either he or she when referring to someone of none-specific gender. The appropriate way to do it is either "he/she" or simply "they".
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

EK wrote:MANwich
bookworm wrote:
Moontide wrote:I would argue that collective "she" is common enough to be proper grammar.
I would not agree, because this is the first time I have ever seen it used, to my recollection. I may have seen it once or twice before in passing, but never used this consistently and obviously intentionally.
I've read/seen several books with the collective "she." It doesn't really bother me, however when someone uses it ALL THE TIME it just looks like they are trying to say something by it. 'He' doesn't bother me at all because that is proper grammar. And I will agree with Jelly, that I prefer the usage of "they" when referring to none-specific gender.

But again, "he" doesn't bother me at all, and "she" just gets annoying when constantly used. *shrugs*
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

JELLY! FIRST RULE.

But yeah, this is why Spanish/French, or ANY Latin-based (romance) language really, is always better than English for everything, at the US has no national language so maybe someday in the future Spanish (presumably) will become the dominant language here and we won't have petty arguments like this...

instead we can argue over the gender of every single noun ever. >_>
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

^ this.

Silly language restrictions have this uncanny way of causing us to think too much about stupid things. Sometimes I wonder how differently I would view the world if my native language was French or something. Seriously though, the french language is way sexier than English. English is cumbersome.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

J'adore le français. :inlove: I'm studying both French and Spanish, and, while I think both are beautiful, I like French better even though it is more challenging.

The only thing that I think is better about English is the lack of gender-specific nouns. As a grammar function, objects don't really need gender, imho. (If your car is your baby, then I don't begrudge you the right to refer to it as "she" lol. I'm speaking generally here.) It's much easier to just say "the ___" instead of worrying about whether the object is masculine or feminine.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

EK wrote:But yeah, this is why Spanish/French, or ANY Latin-based (romance) language really, is always better than English for everything, at the US has no national language so maybe someday in the future Spanish (presumably) will become the dominant language here and we won't have petty arguments like this...
But in Spanish when you have a group of people with even one man, you refer to them as 'ellos,' the masculine form. :p

Doesn't seem too much better.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I must say: 'they' when referring to a single person is incorrect... unless they're possessed or have a split personality, I guess. :P
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

"Yesterday someone on the internet corrected my grammar. I felt offended, but I'm sure they didn't mean it personally."

edit:

maybe I'll just pass it off as Canadian grammar.
Last edited by jelly on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jelly wrote:"Yesterday someone on the internet corrected my grammar. I felt offended, but I'm sure they didn't mean it personally."
That has become commonly accepted, but is actually grammatically incorrect.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Yeah...

"Look at that baby way over there! They is so cute. <3"

It just doesn't work. :P Someone they. Singular, plural. The tenses have to be the same.
Last edited by Termite on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Termite wrote:"Look at that baby way over there! They is so cute. <3"
Well, in that case you could say ‘it’ because it’s a singular subject. Or you could just use ‘he’ or ‘she’ since you would know which is appropriate.
The collective ‘he’ is when there is a subject of unknown or unimportant gender, such as a hypothetical person.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

But 'it' refers to an object, not a person. And sometimes you can't tell a baby... :- Did you see Stormageddon from Doctor Who? Alfie? She was actually a sweet little girl. Heh.

Well, it's still technically 'he', imo. *shrug* I think that trying to find sexism or other slurs in everything is dumb... let bygones be bygones. It's proper, and it doesn't mean that I think girls are lesser than guys because I don't use 'she'. ;)
Love you always, SnC
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Termite wrote:But 'it' refers to an object, not a person.
‘Baby’ is an object, is it not? When just meaning ‘a baby’ in general, not ‘the baby’ being a specific one?