So. Homeschool.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Anna><> wrote:
Pirate Oriana wrote:I think it was more a matter of the kind of socialization I had, not the quantity.
That's exactly what I think about it too. It's not that you homeschoolers don't socialize, because they do, it's just different.
I wasn't saying that about home-schooling in general, I was talking about my situation specifically.
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

ric wrote:One word.

DARWINIAN EVOLUTION.
That's two words.

I went to public school.
Last edited by EK on Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

EK wrote:
ric wrote:One word.

DARWINIAN EVOLUTION.
That's two words.

I went to public school.
:o Why..it is!

Well, there you have it, folks. Public schoolers are far superior. \:D/
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Fo sho. ;)
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

EK wrote:Fo sho. ;)
^ and way cooler. :yes:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

No way. I never got to visit the amish farm and make ice cream with my 11 brothers and sisters for a field trip. :(

That's what homeschooled kids do....right? :anxious:

;)
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Ya, exactly! In fact, last time at the amish farm, they had goats, and we got to PET them! It was AWESOMANTASMAGORICALICIOUS. (< I invented that word.)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

And a homeschooler's health class is breakfast \:D/

And we have better grammar :noway:
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

EK wrote:No way. I never got to visit the amish farm and make ice cream with my 11 brothers and sisters for a field trip. :(

ARE YOU SERIOUS.

I've been homeschooled all my life and never got to go to an amish farm. Snap.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Cbriggs45
Pilgrim

Post by Cbriggs45 »

i was home schooled for i have no idea why i was, i have great social skills i am at the level of some public and private educated people and above i took a.p classes in the "homeschooling" program we did, i pushed myself to learn all that i could, because i was bullied and believed the bullies when they said i was dumb. so i showed them.. and learnt more then i ever should have. but thats not the point.

i do wish i could have played organized sports, i would have been less of an anger ball. again nothing to do with home schoolijng vs private or public or charter schools.

after i finished school i saw the same things again the public and private schools see. i had friends who did drugs were in street gangs.

so i think the reason is mostly embedded in the parents, i dont know that i will (if i have kids) send my kids to home schooling, i see the need for both yet i also see the con's of both. the best question is what does God want for your seedlings.

if i had to live life over... my schooling would not be any where close to anything i would change more what i learned. i did go to a catholic school for the first to schooling years of my life. i just dont believe one student is smarter than another just because one sits at their kitchen table and the other goes to a classroom.

i mean look at the spelling bee alot of those kids are home schooled and then after the spelling bee go on to ivy league or top colleges.

i believe as my opinion there is no right conclusion to this query. in my opinion. but. i do see both sides.
you can learn a lot from job 38-42, being humble isn't the easiest but its worth it.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

EK wrote:No way. I never got to visit the amish farm and make ice cream with my 11 brothers and sisters for a field trip. :(

;)
:( We made stupid candles. :(
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

bookworm wrote:
Jelly wrote:To what extent should children be 'sheltered' from the secular culture?
That has nothing to do with homeschooling.
Yes. Yes it actually does. For many people -- including, I'm wagering, parents of many of this forum's members -- it does. And it's the reason I was homeschooled.
ric wrote:Lack of social skills isn't worse than meth addiction. ;) I KNOW NOT EVERYONE IN PUBLIC SCHOOL IS ADDICTED TO METH.
Lack of social skills will make college-going incredibly difficult and isolated, and runs the risk of doing things to your interviewing skills, and relatability with people who are different from you.
ric wrote:
Yes, I know lack of social skills could lead to other things, but if someone is schooled using Christian curriculum and has a strong foundation, hopefully once they're introduced into the "real world" they'll know how to handle it.
When will this be? When they're 18 and finally going off to actually interact with people who are not Christians? When they're 23 and getting married?
ric wrote:Also, about the sheltered thing, the only way I see homeschoolers being sheltered is entertainment-wise. And have we really sunk so far as to think someone can't survive in the real world if they haven't seen the latest Saw movie, or heard the latest profanity-ridden rap record? Really?
IS THIS THE REAL LIFE.
OR IS THIS FANTASY.
CAUGHT IN A LANDSLIDE.
NO ESCAPE FROM REALITY.

Lawl @ "Saw" and "profanity-ridden rap record." Is that what people on here really think about pop culture? How about "Inception" or K'naan? Snow Patrol? Anyway. Entertainment affects everything for many people these days. It's the way people connect -- shared experiences, shared interests, et cetera. Just as you'd hope people connect over favourite books, favourite inspirational figures, favourite cars, or sports, people connect through their experience of entertainment. Going to a Taylor Swift concert. Listening to Coldplay on your way back from school. Watching Bones or NCIS on TV.

I went from "oh my gawsh entertainment" to where I am now. I don't like the Saw movies. I don't seek out music that is offensive to my values and stuff. But I watch TV regularly (lulz Food Channel), go to a public state university, see movies regularly, and laugh at hipsters. And I certainly don't run screaming in shock whenever someone implies I was sheltered by my homeschooling. I was. It was a negative thing, but made me incredibly more smart than most people my age, so you have to take the good with the bad.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oba-rai wrote:
bookworm wrote:
Jelly wrote:To what extent should children be 'sheltered' from the secular culture?
Yes. Yes it actually does. For many people -- including, I'm wagering, parents of many of this forum's members -- it does. And it's the reason I was homeschooled.
But that doesn’t make sense. If the reason for homeschooling is to shelter kids from the world, then it’s pointless. Even if you keep them completely cut off from secular things during the schooling years, once homeschool is over they’re going to be out in it anyway.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

bookworm wrote:
Oba-rai wrote:
bookworm wrote:
But that doesn’t make sense. If the reason for homeschooling is to shelter kids from the world, then it’s pointless. Even if you keep them completely cut off from secular things during the schooling years, once homeschool is over they’re going to be out in it anyway.
Once homeschool's over, children are no longer children. Capisce?

So yes, it's about sheltering children. Until, of course, they become almost adults, and then the hope is that these young adults will do the same thing with their own children. It's not a malicious intention in the least. It's well-meaning in the hopes that by removing them from the influence of pop culture altogether, you remove them from negative influences that come packaged in.

Granted, it takes a certain worldview to see certain things as negative, thus demonizing much of popular culture.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Oba-rai wrote:
ric wrote: Yes, I know lack of social skills could lead to other things, but if someone is schooled using Christian curriculum and has a strong foundation, hopefully once they're introduced into the "real world" they'll know how to handle it.
When will this be? When they're 18 and finally going off to actually interact with people who are not Christians? When they're 23 and getting married?
If you weren't allowed to interact with non-Christians until you were 18...I'm sorry, that's just sad. But really, I have never seen this at all. Pretty much all the homeschoolers I know were involved in some sort of outside-the-home activity with non-Christians, be it sports, debate, drama, whatever. Of course, I mostly know former-homeschoolers, so I can't speak to the ones who homeschool through high school.
Also, many homeschoolers start attending private or public school once in high school, which is mainly what I was referring to.
Oba-rai wrote:
ric wrote:Also, about the sheltered thing, the only way I see homeschoolers being sheltered is entertainment-wise. And have we really sunk so far as to think someone can't survive in the real world if they haven't seen the latest Saw movie, or heard the latest profanity-ridden rap record? Really?
IS THIS THE REAL LIFE.
OR IS THIS FANTASY.
CAUGHT IN A LANDSLIDE.
NO ESCAPE FROM REALITY.

Lawl @ "Saw" and "profanity-ridden rap record." Is that what people on here really think about pop culture? How about "Inception" or K'naan? Snow Patrol? Anyway. Entertainment affects everything for many people these days. It's the way people connect -- shared experiences, shared interests, et cetera. Just as you'd hope people connect over favourite books, favourite inspirational figures, favourite cars, or sports, people connect through their experience of entertainment. Going to a Taylor Swift concert. Listening to Coldplay on your way back from school. Watching Bones or NCIS on TV.

I went from "oh my gawsh entertainment" to where I am now. I don't like the Saw movies. I don't seek out music that is offensive to my values and stuff. But I watch TV regularly (lulz Food Channel), go to a public state university, see movies regularly, and laugh at hipsters. And I certainly don't run screaming in shock whenever someone implies I was sheltered by my homeschooling. I was. It was a negative thing, but made me incredibly more smart than most people my age, so you have to take the good with the bad.
Yes, I exaggerated. I'm pretty sure most of us on this board won't hold it against parents if they don't let their 12 year-old children watch Saw. But what about PG-13 movies, secular music...any music with drums for that matter? How can any of that help you practically to survive in life, not to mention spiritually? Coldplay has tons of positive messages in their music, yes...but is there anything you can't get from reading the Bible for heaven's sake? That's why I get mad when people talk about sheltering like it's some sort of sacrilege. Ya, it's very bad if you're just locked in your room, never hearing about politics, or social issues, or other religions, but do any of you really know anyone like that?

I do agree that it takes some knowledge of the world and maybe even pop culture to form relationships with people, but not that much. I've made friends over the years with non-Christians who are like, "You haven't seen Blah blah? Man, you're sheltered," and then move on. It really isn't that big of a deal. You can still make friends with people who have different interests, or morals for that matter.

I think it's mostly just a stereotype. Ya, there were super-sheltered kids a long time ago, but we're in the 21st century now. I'd be willing to bet it's a lot less common nowadays.
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

ric wrote:
Oba-rai wrote:
ric wrote: Yes, I know lack of social skills could lead to other things, but if someone is schooled using Christian curriculum and has a strong foundation, hopefully once they're introduced into the "real world" they'll know how to handle it.
If you weren't allowed to interact with non-Christians until you were 18...I'm sorry, that's just sad. But really, I have never seen this at all. Pretty much all the homeschoolers I know were involved in some sort of outside-the-home activity with non-Christians, be it sports, debate, drama, whatever. Of course, I mostly know former-homeschoolers, so I can't speak to the ones who homeschool through high school.
Also, many homeschoolers start attending private or public school once in high school, which is mainly what I was referring to.
Oba-rai wrote:
IS THIS THE REAL LIFE.
OR IS THIS FANTASY.
CAUGHT IN A LANDSLIDE.
NO ESCAPE FROM REALITY.

Yes, I exaggerated. I'm pretty sure most of us on this board won't hold it against parents if they don't let their 12 year-old children watch Saw. But what about PG-13 movies, secular music...any music with drums for that matter? How can any of that help you practically to survive in life, not to mention spiritually? Coldplay has tons of positive messages in their music, yes...but is there anything you can't get from reading the Bible for heaven's sake? That's why I get mad when people talk about sheltering like it's some sort of sacrilege. Ya, it's very bad if you're just locked in your room, never hearing about politics, or social issues, or other religions, but do any of you really know anyone like that?

I do agree that it takes some knowledge of the world and maybe even pop culture to form relationships with people, but not that much. I've made friends over the years with non-Christians who are like, "You haven't seen Blah blah? Man, you're sheltered," and then move on. It really isn't that big of a deal. You can still make friends with people who have different interests, or morals for that matter.

I think it's mostly just a stereotype. Ya, there were super-sheltered kids a long time ago, but we're in the 21st century now. I'd be willing to bet it's a lot less common nowadays.
Okay, not exactly on topic, but are you saying the music with drums is bad?
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

No. But I'm asking "how can any of that help you practically to survive in life, not to mention spiritually?"

Just because something isn't a sin doesn't mean you can't survive by not doing it; which is basically what the whole argument over sheltering is about.
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

ric wrote:No. But I'm asking "how can any of that help you practically to survive in life, not to mention spiritually?"

Just because something isn't a sin doesn't mean you can't survive by not doing it; which is basically what the whole argument over sheltering is about.
Okay, that makes sense to me. Thank you for clarifying.
AMDG

AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

I was home schooled all but 2 grades. I really eishi would have had more social interaction than I had. I was pretty sheltered. I've managed to break free of most of that, but I still have some issues deep down being around others my own age.

I kinda wish I had been in public school. Just my opinion.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

Mark Prescott wrote:. There were multiple tests that both Homeschoolers and Regular Schoolers took, and Homeschoolers were generally smarter.
The only way for the test to be legit is if we get the smartest kids from homeschoolers and regular schoolers. Because if you just test all the kids from public schools, of course they're going to score lower due to population wise.

Honestly, my parents wanted to home school me and my siblings since we all were pretty flobbish with our English. However, we don't exactly have the resources to do so. Both my parents work and both make enough just to only spend on what we need. Sure I was made fun of by my fellow peers (who were 99% white kids) for just being Asian, but I got used to it. Its a learning experience and something I was able to adapt to for just being in public schools.

And you guys who are saying that evolution was shoved down your throats in public school, it really depends on which professor or teacher you have. I had a good one who told us that we wasn't teaching evolution to convert us, but to to have enough knowledge of it to make our own conclusion.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith