Harry Potter (And Why We Choose To Avoid It)

The unpopular side of the debate.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Harry Potter (And Why We Choose To Avoid It)

Post by Amethystic »

Alright, things were getting rather unkind in the other discussion thread, but I'm still genuinely curious to see why all you other ignorant, biased rejects out there choose to avoid Harry Potter. \:D/ What are your major problems with Harry Potter, both in the books and in the cultural backlash it's caused? And how do you deal with the social problems that arise because of your stance against HP?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

The books look boring and the movies look dumb, this is why I avoid them. :yes:
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I just don't want to get to addicted to them :yes:
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

lawl Amy, leave the other thread so you can start your own. ;)
Amy wrote:Alright, things were getting rather unkind in the other discussion thread, but I'm still genuinely curious to see why all you other ignorant, biased rejects out there choose to avoid Harry Potter. \:D/
I sense bitterness.

Why so easily offended? You know, it's actually possible to continue a heated debate without becoming all ticked off and leaving because a) 'the conversation isn't getting anywhere', or b) 'things were getting unkind'. I think that's actually called 'quitting because I'm losing this debate'. :P I get tired of people taking the easy way out because 'there's no point and you already know how I feel'. It's LAME, I SAY. :x

...oh yes, I'm here to wreck your peaceful little thread. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

You know, there are about a dozen things I could say in response to that, but I think I'll try to actually stay on-topic in this thread. ;) If I'm a bitter quitter in your books, then so be it.

Now, returning to the subject at hand... \:D/
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Amethystic wrote:You know, there are about a dozen things I could say in response to that, but I think I'll try to actually stay on-topic in this thread. ;) If I'm a bitter quitter in your books, then so be it.

Now, returning to the subject at hand... \:D/
Thus ends today's episode of 'Amethystic the Realistic vs. Jelly the Troll Critic (It Almost Rhymes).'
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

:(
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

The big problem I have with harry potter is everyone thinks it's evil and has big long pointless discussions about it.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

EK wrote:The big problem I have with harry potter is everyone thinks it's evil and has big long pointless discussions about it.
I agree. And these discussions often times become mean and hurtful.
Last edited by Laurie on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Laurie wrote:
EK wrote:The big problem I have with harry potter is everyone thinks it's evil and has big long pointless discussions about it.
I agree. And these discussions often times become mean and hurtful.
That, unfortunately, is definitely a problem--even if people disagree on an issue, it shouldn't breed hostility between people. I have several close offline friends who are fond of the series, and we've learned just to agree to disagree.

But for all the squabbling it causes, the biggest reason I avoid it is still the spiritual ramifications--in fact, I think it's the spiritual side of things that is responsible for lots of the hostility. Most of my friends are pretty good about it, but it can still be really awkward when someone makes a reference to Potter Puppet Pals and I'm just sitting there because I have no idea what they're talking about. :anxious:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Amethystic wrote:
Laurie wrote: I agree. And these discussions often times become mean and hurtful.
That, unfortunately, is definitely a problem--even if people disagree on an issue, it shouldn't breed hostility between people. I have several close offline friends who are fond of the series, and we've learned just to agree to disagree.

But for all the squabbling it causes, the biggest reason I avoid it is still the spiritual ramifications--in fact, I think it's the spiritual side of things that is responsible for lots of the hostility. Most of my friends are pretty good about it, but it can still be really awkward when someone makes a reference to Potter Puppet Pals and I'm just sitting there because I have no idea what they're talking about. :anxious:
It has been and will continue to be a rule with me that I never, ever post my opinion about a book and movie series like Harry Potter because of the mean and hurtful things that are said and that I am capable of saying myself.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Amethystic wrote:...but it can still be really awkward when someone makes a reference to Potter Puppet Pals and I'm just sitting there because I have no idea what they're talking about. :anxious:

You should definitely not watch this video. It reeks of pure evil.

(also it's the greatest video ever and you should watch it even if you have no clue what Harry Potter is)
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Why I Choose To Avoid Harry Potter

Why I Chose to Slather Peanut Butter on the Book and Eat It:

Reading is stupid. Eating is cool.

\:D/
he/him | a little stinker.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

I've never read it, but I've always been under the impression that it's really bad. I'm assuming a lot of it is because of the magic. :)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I don't go to McDonald's because they used to advertise with that "If you believe in magic..." song.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

odysseyfan1 wrote:I've never read it, but I've always been under the impression that it's really bad. I'm assuming a lot of it is because of the magic. :)
http://thetoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29824

see, it's all these ignorant 'impressions'..
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

*sigh* I'm not sure why I even bothered to attempt a serious conversation on this subject. :( But if it makes you feel better, OF1, I think your impression is right.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jelly wrote:(also it's the greatest video ever and you should watch it even if you have no clue what Harry Potter is)
*watches the video even though he has little clue about Harry Potter*
*gets Snape’s song stuck in his head*
*walks around singing it*
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Snape, Snape, Severus Snape. \:D/