Divided

Is Modern Youth Ministry Multiplying or Dividing the Church?

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I thought a documentary meant nap time! I learned something new!
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I love documentaries. :inlove:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I REALLY like the director of this... if it was some 45-year-old guy hosting it, the film would lose all its credibility with me. I'd feel like it's a movie by old folks who are mad that kids get all the fun thesedays. ;) Thankfully, this guy seems real.

Nice seeing Ken Ham and Doug Phillips in this. PAUL WASHER, NO WAY! "I looked and him and said, 'then die!'" That's pure Paul Washer amazingness. ;) Nearly everything he says is powerful. The movie should've ended with that line.

One thing the movie forgets... not every kid has a father, or a mother, or either. Repeatedly the film quoted people saying, "We need to begin teaching fathers to train up their children, not the youth ministry." What about a widow with 3 kids?

One man partially addressed the issue by saying, "If you don't have a father, come into the church and you'll find many fathers, etc." Basically, you're saying that church can replace the father? Isn't that the very opposite of the point this film tries to make?

Honestly, Divided is forgetting the fact that 14-year-olds and 74-year-olds are interested in different things. My church is composed of these groups; older folks (50%), families (25%) and bus kids/children without both parents in the church (25%). What would happen if you stuck them all in one service? The children would be bored, dislike "church" and never return, or the seniors would complain at the sight of anything modern, "kids" songs, Bible stories aimed at baby Christians, and so on.

I do think families should worship the LORD together, but at times, what's the harm in having an event aimed at kids? Should we not hold VBS because someone other than the father is teaching? Should teenagers not have a time to be together and bond?

In short, I agree with the point this film is trying to stress, but I think they take it too far. (Especially the idea that modern churches are promoting Evolution by holding Sunday School classes. :lol: That flew waaaay over my head.)

However, the movie did hit something right on top of the head. "Kids are being told that the fun music of the world can bring them closer to God." Sadly, I think even some of you disagree with me on this. We have no separation, no holiness. Nothing about our music, movies, dress, etc., is glorifying to God. We'll bang our heads, screaming to songs that include the name of Jesus or other Christian stuff. We'll hear low-cut tops that say "Got Jesus?" We'll do anything that makes us feel Christian while still feeling like we belong in this world. Trust me, I'm going through it too. Eventually, if you tout the line long enough, you'll fall onto the worldly side, never to return. I've seen it in my own friends. Like the movie said, "it doesn't happen overnight."

I was disappointed that the movie forgot this after the awhile. (It began to sole focus on fathers.) In my opinion, half of the blame should go to families that go not serve the LORD together (and parents who push the responsibility onto a Youth Pastor), while the other half belongs to teens who desire the world. If youth group is worldly enough, they have no problem showing up.

Briefly: I liked the movie a lot. It got me thinking and it presented a lot of powerful points. I wish it had put more of a focus on certain aspects, and I think it goes too far at times, but it is still a fantastic film, in my opinion. Well done to the filmmakers.

If it needs a grade, a solid A.

Edit: I got $13.58 for this post. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I watched it. He had some great points in the documentary. I especially like that he said it's the family's job to teach their children about God and the Bible. It's not the children or youth ministries jobs. I do not agree with everything he said, but it is a very moving documentary.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

AE wrote:However, the movie did hit something right on top of the head. "Kids are being told that the fun music of the world can bring them closer to God." Sadly, I think even some of you disagree with me on this. We have no separation, no holiness. Nothing about our music, movies, dress, etc., is glorifying to God. We'll bang our heads, screaming to songs that include the name of Jesus or other Christian stuff. We'll hear low-cut tops that say "Got Jesus?" We'll do anything that makes us feel Christian while still feeling like we belong in this world
Amen! Preach it. :pope:
Honestly, Divided is forgetting the fact that 14-year-olds and 74-year-olds are interested in different things. My church is composed of these groups; older folks (50%), families (25%) and bus kids/children without both parents in the church (25%). What would happen if you stuck them all in one service? The children would be bored, dislike "church" and never return, or the seniors would complain at the sight of anything modern, "kids" songs, Bible stories aimed at baby Christians, and so on.
Ya, I don't think we should take away VBS, Junior Church, ect. You are not going to get any bus kids coming, by putting them out with the adults. :noway:
KelitaArcher
Crazy Southern Archer

Post by KelitaArcher »

Thanks for sharing the link; I would really like to watch it. My dad did, he agreed with every bit of it. :) I happen to think that the modern youth ministry IS hurting youth/families. I have seen too many examples of this to begin to count or list, it is very sad. :(

"It doesn't matter what you believe, it matters what is true."
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

odysseyfan1 wrote:Ya, I don't think we should take away VBS, Junior Church, ect. You are not going to get any bus kids coming, by putting them out with the adults. :noway:
Well as a girl who has helped with/participated in VBS on several occasions at different churches, I'll tell you right now that it's usually church-going families who enroll their kids in Sunday School programs, and when there are non-church kids attending more often than not they just cause trouble for the leaders. Sure, there are probably a few kids who have gone to church and come to Christ because of those programs, but they're an exception, not a rule.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Amesthetic wrote:Sure, there are probably a few kids who have gone to church and come to Christ because of those programs, but they're an exception, not a rule.
There's a song that goes: "Oh if just one more soul, were to walk down the aisle, it would be worth every struggle, it would be worth every mile. A lifetime of labor is still worth it all if it rescues just one more soul." ;)

I don't know about your church, but our VBS was mostly bus kids, and kids that don't usually attend. (We don't have a whole lot of Church kids that attend regularly)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Yes, but if there's a better, more efficient means of accomplishing something (I think there is) shouldn't changes be made?
Last edited by Amethystic on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
AE wrote:However, the movie did hit something right on top of the head. "Kids are being told that the fun music of the world can bring them closer to God." Sadly, I think even some of you disagree with me on this. We have no separation, no holiness. Nothing about our music, movies, dress, etc., is glorifying to God. We'll bang our heads, screaming to songs that include the name of Jesus or other Christian stuff. We'll hear low-cut tops that say "Got Jesus?" We'll do anything that makes us feel Christian while still feeling like we belong in this world
Ya, I don't think we should take away VBS, Junior Church, ect. You are not going to get any bus kids coming, by putting them out with the adults. :noway:
of1, have you watched it yet? :)

\:D/
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Lee wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:
of1, have you watched it yet? :)
No, my parents haven't returned yet. And alas, they have no internet access where they are. :(

-- 06 Aug 2011 12:56 pm --
Amethystic wrote:Yes, but if there's a better, more efficient means of accomplishing something (I think there is) shouldn't changes be made?
What's the better more efficient means?
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
Amethystic wrote:Yes, but if there's a better, more efficient means of accomplishing something (I think there is) shouldn't changes be made?
What's the better more efficient means?
We won't know if we don't try, now will we?
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Or more importantly, what is the more Biblical means?

Hint: Parent-circumventing youth ministry isn't it.