X-Men: First Class

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

It's hollywood. There for our enjoyment.

\:D/
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Well... it IS to be expected, that is all she has ever worn, basically. ;)

I just can't get excited about the new cast (actors or new characters) so, meh, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. ;)
swatcaptin
For the GMF!
For the GMF!

Post by swatcaptin »

OH GOLLY I LOVE MARVEL SO FRIGGIN BAD!!!
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I can feel excited. :D I saw two trailers and ran to my sister going, "DO YOU WANT TO SEE IT?!!!!!!" lol. I hadn't really looked into it because I have yet to see even Wolverine *when a series starts having this many movies... I start to lose interest*, but James Mcavoy looks VERY promising. Plus, it looks like an awesome movie. :P
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

It's sort of a prequel/reboot so its a good jumping on point or place to get re-acquainted.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I am not excited about the actors. (especially James Mcavoy) just like I am not excited about Anne Hathway being in the Dark Knight Rises ( Catwomen )
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

thegreenringC wrote:I am not excited about the actors. (especially James Mcavoy) just like I am not excited about Anne Hathway being in the Dark Knight Rises ( Catwomen )
This. :|
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Well people, I just saw it on the 4th, and was thoroughly impressed. I thought James Mcavoy would just be all Narniany, but he was a perfect Prof. X. I practically cried at the end. You know it's a good movie when I'm going to buy it for my iPod. \:D/
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I knew there was a topic... lol.

I saw it at midnight on the 3rd. lajlsdfjlajdsf Then I saw it again yesterday, the 5th. Amazing movie. Loved it. Totally buying it.

James Mcavoy was the HIGHLIGHT. lol. Michael Fassbender, a younger Magneto/Erik, was AMAZING. Plus, I loved all the other mutants and really got into the story. My sister even commented on how well they wove mutants in with the Cuban Missile Crisis.

One thing my sister pointed out was that in one of the other movies, Storm, Scott/Cyclopes, and... someone else I think, were said to be Professor X's first students. I'm not sure if that was a twist when it came to this prequel, because Professor X does teach some mutants, but where they officially his first, or does Professor X claim teaching Storm and Cyclopes first at his academy that he opens?

I just loved it all around. Amazing tale for a prequel. And loved James Mcavoy, so much!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah, if you care about continuity at all then there are lots of problems, but ignoring those things it was a great movie. Since Marvel has their own movie studio now I haven't really been paying attention to the Marvel comic films being made outside of their studio... because you just assume they know their material best and in this case the last couple X-men related movies weren't necessarily AWFUL but they were lacking.

I have to say though while Thor was fine, I liked this movie a lot better. Not all the acting was great but Xavier and Magneto both were good and thats all I really cared about. ;) The Magneto: Nazi Hunter stuff was awesome, its a shame the movie all about that got cancelled and rolled into this one. Then the Cold War stuff was amazing.
And the Wolverine cameo, lol.
But yeah, the original X-men lineup was Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Ice Man, and Angel (the dude in X3, not the weird bug-winged lady). Of course movies are known to not follow the source material but I think the older movies did mention Cyclops and Jean were from the first class of students. At least we got Cyclop's brother, Havoc, and Beast.

But yeah, in a flashback in X3 and at the end of Wolverine, we have bald Xavier up on his feet, and in this he is paralyzed before he loses his hair. ;) And you would think at some point in the original movies he'd mention "Ah yes! Mystique! She was like a sister to me!" but instead he acts like he is vaguely aware of who she is but beyond that doesn't really know her. Of course, when they made the original trilogy they likely had no idea this would be made, but it would be nice if they fit together better. ;)

I really only went to see it because I had a free pass that expired today... definitely glad I did!
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I saw it opening day, and I quite enjoyed it. Despite it's errors in X-men lore it was rather interesting, in my opinion. Although the biggest thing that got to me is that they messed up Professor X' paralyzation. Though some of the series don't agree with each other on how he became paralyzed.

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah I have just about given up on movies getting a lot of the comic stuff right and just try to think of them as their own universe where they can do whatever they want.

At least the Marvel Studio stuff puts a little more effort into that.
swatcaptin
For the GMF!
For the GMF!

Post by swatcaptin »

American Eagle wrote:Emma Frost seriously just wears seductive undergarments. >_>

Y'all see nothing wrong with that?
That was one scene. She wears clothes the other times.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I wouldn't see the film for that reason--but I also wouldn't not see the film for that reason.

It was only one scene that was apparently an underwear party at the Hellfire Club. The 1960's. :noway:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

...aaaand I'm sure Mystique is barely in the movie. :roll:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Nah Mystique was in it the whole time,
in human form. Not sure if that needed a spoiler or not :anxious:
with clothes on.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Shadowfax wrote:Nah Mystique was in it the whole time,
in human form. Not sure if that needed a spoiler or not :anxious:
with clothes on.
Well... okay. After reading the IMDb parents' review, however, I am glad I stopped watching this series after the first one.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I haven't watched the first three films in a long time, so I was caught off guard by the few scenes of blue Mystique with no clothes. >_>

I always thought that was such an odd choice, since she was always clothed in the comics.

I can understand avoiding the film but if you can catch it edited for television eventually (although I doubt they'd really cut much) or a ClearPlay or whatever version of it, its definitely worth the watch for the compelling story.

We should start a company that CGI's clothing onto bodies in movies! \:D/
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

She doesn't wear clothes because she wants to accept herself as a mutant, blue and all. Why is it a big deal, anyways?
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Shadowfax wrote:She doesn't wear clothes because she wants to accept herself as a mutant, blue and all. Why is it a big deal, anyways?
I don't know if you know this... but her entire character is designed to look risque... lustful... and it generally works on guys. :anxious: