I hate it when people try to find racism in everything...

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

I hate it when people try to find racism in everything...

Post by Over the Rainbow »

I was eating in a restraunt booth with recently with two friends, one is Caucasian and the other Chinese. We'd been there for about forty minutes or so when my Chinese friend began telling the story of how her mother in China had to give her up for adoption. Unbeknownst to me, a black family sat down in the booth behind me. They were absolutely silent and made not a noise and I was unaware of their presence the entire time. My Chinese friend finished her story and my white friend said she loved having friends with different racial backgrounds (I'm half Mexican) and she thought it was so cool. I smiled and said I was proud of my Hispanic roots. I begin to tell the story of my Dad, who was born and raised on the American-Mexican border. I told of how my Dad was raised in poverty and called derogatory names by Americans. I pointed across the street to our local Steak 'n Shake and said told my friends my Dad literally crossed the street after school to go into Mexico. This story lasted two-three minutes. According to my white friend, the black family said absolutely nothing the entire meal and the mother and father had their heads turned to me, obviously listening. When I pointed across the street, they looked to see where I was pointing. My friend thought they were one of the families who didn't like to talk during meals, but she was bothered by the fact that they obviously easedropping and even considered telling them to move booths if they were going to listen in on our private conversation. She decided not to. I finished my story and we changed subjects.Ten minutes went by and at this point we were talking about people with cancer. I took a sip of my soda when BAM! the black guy stood up and started yelling at me in front of the whole restraunt. He told me and my Chinese friend we needed to stop talking about race/heritage. He yelled at us, accusing us of being racist ( :-s ) and said he was offended by our talk of race. He said he never wanted us to talk about our races ever again. My Chinese friend, who has great pride in her heritage, was near tears. I tried to explain to the man I was half-Mexican and I had every right to talk about my father's culture. He said he did not care and proceeded to accuse me of saying racist and using derogatory words for Hispanics (At one point during my story, I said my Dad calls me his "half Taco" as a pet name). Then the wife started yelling at me, saying she was also offended by my language and said I was a bad influence on her "children" (they were both high school boys). By know, all eyes in the restraunt were on me. I wanted to yell right back at the name, asking him why he was yelling, why had he been easedropping, why he waited 10 minutes to confront me about a subject we had finished long ago, why he was trying to censor my freedom of speech and why as a black man was he offended by my talk of MY Hispanic heritage. I was too embarassed to even speak. I grabbed my purse, my friends by their wrists and ran out of there.

I'm still pretty ticked off about the whole thing. I don't understand why people TRY to find racism in EVERYTHING.
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

WOW. Some people have a lot of nerve! I cannot believe how rude that family was to you! Our society has become way too politically correct about everything, down to the point where a cute nickname is derogatory. I'm half African American an half Caucasion, and I love it! I think that my race makes me a bit different, and it's cool! I would be horrified if someone did that to me.

I'm sorry that happened to you, and I hope that you never have to go through anything like that again!
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I sure hope you weren't at a Chick-fil-A! :shock:

That's just sad. They must have not understood what you were talking about, or something.

But really, people try to find racism in everything because of the self-entitlement mentality. If someone says something that 'offends' them in any way, they can always try to gain from that.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’ve seen people ‘find’ racism where it absolutely doesn’t exist before, but this is beyond that. What in the world were they upset about?
Eowyn18
Not as new

Post by Eowyn18 »

Those people need to totally chill out. If you're going to listen to someone's private conversation (which is really rude anyway) you ought to know that you have no right to but your nose in and start lecturing them about what they are saying. ](*,)
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

wow that's crazy... It seems like they would be embarrassed to admit they were listening!
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Darlin', if this ever happens again, you need to talk to the restaurant's management... he had NO right to yell at you, and though I can understand why you did you shouldn't have left. Even though you were embarassed, it makes you look guilty.

But still. That guy is a jerk, plain and simple... and unfortunately, he's going to cross the wrong person at the wrong time if he keeps that up. *sighs* Ah, life...

It's awesome that you're half Mexican, though. \:D/
Last edited by Termite on Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

lol that's funny. Did you guys end up paying before you left? \:D/
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

That sounds like it was a difficult situation, but you did the right thing. The Bible says to "turn the other cheek," and that is a prime example. Life is difficult.

UNCLEBITTLES
I AM A BEAST!
I AM A BEAST!

Post by UNCLEBITTLES »

Over the Rainbow wrote:I was eating in a restraunt booth with recently with two friends, one is Caucasian and the other Chinese. We'd been there for about forty minutes or so when my Chinese friend began telling the story of how her mother in China had to give her up for adoption. Unbeknownst to me, a black family sat down in the booth behind me. They were absolutely silent and made not a noise and I was unaware of their presence the entire time. My Chinese friend finished her story and my white friend said she loved having friends with different racial backgrounds (I'm half Mexican) and she thought it was so cool. I smiled and said I was proud of my Hispanic roots. I begin to tell the story of my Dad, who was born and raised on the American-Mexican border. I told of how my Dad was raised in poverty and called derogatory names by Americans. I pointed across the street to our local Steak 'n Shake and said told my friends my Dad literally crossed the street after school to go into Mexico. This story lasted two-three minutes. According to my white friend, the black family said absolutely nothing the entire meal and the mother and father had their heads turned to me, obviously listening. When I pointed across the street, they looked to see where I was pointing. My friend thought they were one of the families who didn't like to talk during meals, but she was bothered by the fact that they obviously easedropping and even considered telling them to move booths if they were going to listen in on our private conversation. She decided not to. I finished my story and we changed subjects.Ten minutes went by and at this point we were talking about people with cancer. I took a sip of my soda when BAM! the black guy stood up and started yelling at me in front of the whole restraunt. He told me and my Chinese friend we needed to stop talking about race/heritage. He yelled at us, accusing us of being racist ( :-s ) and said he was offended by our talk of race. He said he never wanted us to talk about our races ever again. My Chinese friend, who has great pride in her heritage, was near tears. I tried to explain to the man I was half-Mexican and I had every right to talk about my father's culture. He said he did not care and proceeded to accuse me of saying racist and using derogatory words for Hispanics (At one point during my story, I said my Dad calls me his "half Taco" as a pet name). Then the wife started yelling at me, saying she was also offended by my language and said I was a bad influence on her "children" (they were both high school boys). By know, all eyes in the restraunt were on me. I wanted to yell right back at the name, asking him why he was yelling, why had he been easedropping, why he waited 10 minutes to confront me about a subject we had finished long ago, why he was trying to censor my freedom of speech and why as a black man was he offended by my talk of MY Hispanic heritage. I was too embarassed to even speak. I grabbed my purse, my friends by their wrists and ran out of there.

I'm still pretty ticked off about the whole thing. I don't understand why people TRY to find racism in EVERYTHING.
#-o ](*,) Wow. That's just wow. *facepalm*
Wow
so doge
much voting
such election
wow.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

That is so unbelievably rude. I mean, seriously, they weren't even part of your conversation, and they were obviously eavesdropping and that is also extremely rude. Personally, I would not have faulted you if you were to have replied back and pointed out what a jerk he was being.

People try to find racism everywhere. What's really funny is that you can talk trash about Southerners all the time (just about the only acceptable targets) but you can't even say anything--even if it has nothing to do with being racist--about Chinese people or black people or Hispanics because the speech police jumps on you and beats you into the ground.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

Over the Rainbow wrote:I was eating in a restraunt booth with recently with two friends, one is Caucasian and the other Chinese. We'd been there for about forty minutes or so when my Chinese friend began telling the story of how her mother in China had to give her up for adoption. Unbeknownst to me, a black family sat down in the booth behind me. They were absolutely silent and made not a noise and I was unaware of their presence the entire time. My Chinese friend finished her story and my white friend said she loved having friends with different racial backgrounds (I'm half Mexican) and she thought it was so cool. I smiled and said I was proud of my Hispanic roots. I begin to tell the story of my Dad, who was born and raised on the American-Mexican border. I told of how my Dad was raised in poverty and called derogatory names by Americans. I pointed across the street to our local Steak 'n Shake and said told my friends my Dad literally crossed the street after school to go into Mexico. This story lasted two-three minutes. According to my white friend, the black family said absolutely nothing the entire meal and the mother and father had their heads turned to me, obviously listening. When I pointed across the street, they looked to see where I was pointing. My friend thought they were one of the families who didn't like to talk during meals, but she was bothered by the fact that they obviously easedropping and even considered telling them to move booths if they were going to listen in on our private conversation. She decided not to. I finished my story and we changed subjects.Ten minutes went by and at this point we were talking about people with cancer. I took a sip of my soda when BAM! the black guy stood up and started yelling at me in front of the whole restraunt. He told me and my Chinese friend we needed to stop talking about race/heritage. He yelled at us, accusing us of being racist ( :-s ) and said he was offended by our talk of race. He said he never wanted us to talk about our races ever again. My Chinese friend, who has great pride in her heritage, was near tears. I tried to explain to the man I was half-Mexican and I had every right to talk about my father's culture. He said he did not care and proceeded to accuse me of saying racist and using derogatory words for Hispanics (At one point during my story, I said my Dad calls me his "half Taco" as a pet name). Then the wife started yelling at me, saying she was also offended by my language and said I was a bad influence on her "children" (they were both high school boys). By know, all eyes in the restraunt were on me. I wanted to yell right back at the name, asking him why he was yelling, why had he been easedropping, why he waited 10 minutes to confront me about a subject we had finished long ago, why he was trying to censor my freedom of speech and why as a black man was he offended by my talk of MY Hispanic heritage. I was too embarassed to even speak. I grabbed my purse, my friends by their wrists and ran out of there.

Don't yell back. When you answer their hysterics with a contrasting, calm tone of voice, sometimes they suddenly realise how idiotic they sound to everyone else, since no one else is playing their game.

Anyway, It's too bad that some people are like that; I think that sometimes their thinking gets twisted from childhood through no fault of their own.

BTW, you can't be half Mexican, because Mexican is a citizenship.
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Josef1004 wrote:BTW, you can't be half Mexican, because Mexican is a citizenship.
Maybe she’s a dual citizen.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

bookworm wrote:
Josef1004 wrote:BTW, you can't be half Mexican, because Mexican is a citizenship.
I'm a dual citizen. I've been told that being a dual citizen makes me "wishy-washy".

Post by 31899 »

Ayralee wrote:
bookworm wrote:
I'm a dual citizen. I've been told that being a dual citizen makes me "wishy-washy".
Which nations do you belong to?

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Argentina and Canada, I do believe.

And Josef... she can be half Mexican if one of her parents is a Mexican with an American citizenship and still be fully American. ;) Mexican is a specific Spanish-descended race as well as citizenship.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

That kind of story is sad.

I don't think I really think about my heritage too much.. I'm caucasian, so I don't have anything too interesting in my background, but I have friends from other races... I think those people were way off the wall to act that way. If you want to talk about how you were raised, what's the problem? :-s Man... I would've had such a hard time keeping my mouth shut during that kind of situation. I admire your self-control. (of which I don't have much...)

\:D/
Steve

Post by Steve »

The whole story makes me want to take the government by the face ( \:D/ ) and scream, "THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!! DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU DID BY BEING POLITICALY CORRECT?!?! YOU AND SESAME STREET!"

And then leave those blithering idiots in their fancy chairs.
he/him | a little stinker.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Somebody I know works at a fast-food place or something, and he's required to check that all bills over $10 aren't counterfeit, and somebody complained to the manager and called him racist when he checked his $10 bill.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Steve

Post by Steve »

DanP740 wrote:Somebody I know works at a fast-food place or something, and he's required to check that all bills over $10 aren't counterfeit, and somebody complained to the manager and called him racist when he checked his $10 bill.
See? This country is full of idiots!
he/him | a little stinker.