Just currious

Do you have a TV in your room?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Just currious

Post by gimp80995 »

I know some do, some don't.......just another random poll (fortunately for all of you guys I can go back to work tomorrow, and therefore won't have as muc idle time to come up with these polls). Regardless of if you do or don't have one, do you think it's a good idea or a bad idea to have a TV ina persons room......what age should be the youngest to have a TV?

I have a TV in my room..........so between the TV and the computer, it's safe to say that I rarely emerge except for church, work, youth group, meals and when stuff needs to be done around the house.

I'm kinda split. On one hand I think it's kinda a bad thing for a person (of any age) to have TV in thier room. I can see from my own experiences that a TV in a persons room can cause them to hybernate........at least having a TV in the family room you get some inneraction with other people.......occasionally.

On the other hand, if you live alone in your own apartment........it really makes no difference where in the house the TV is........same if you rent a room in someone's house (which is usually cheaper than an apartment)........then that room is your place, so it'd make sense to want to be able to have all the comforts of home there......including TV.

There there are people like me...........I'm not quite sure why I would even have a TV in my own place since I watch very little TV (a computer is of much more importance to me).........even now with a TV in my room, it gets turned on now and then, but usually I'm online chatting / posting / listening to AIO (or various radio stations).

I think if a person does have a TV in their room, the youngest would probably be 14 or 15. I am usually not in favor of the idea of young kids / teenagers having a TV in their room.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I do not have a television in my room... I keep mine elsewhere, simply because there is no room in my room. 8-[

As for what age, I pretty much agree with Gimp. As a basic rule of thumb I don't think people too young should have them. I certainly shouldn't have, when I was that age. [-(
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

The Top Crusader wrote:I certainly shouldn't have, when I was that age. [-(
You read my mind.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

If there was no cable hook up, only VCR or a DVD player I think it's fine. Though, I don't have one in my room.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I don't have one in my room...in fact, my family doesn't have any TV! We have something we watch videos on, but no TV stations come in.

I know for me, whenever we visit my granny's house, I can easily watch for hours. So I'm glad I don't have that temptation at home. Also, there's so much junk on TV I wouldn't want any child to have an opportunity to see. It seems better to just not have one and encourage other pastimes, such as reading edifying books.
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

My family doesn't have cable either -- it's just like you said, once at grandma's house, there's not a lot stopping us. ;)
Christian Cowgirl
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Christian Cowgirl »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I don't have one in my room...in fact, my family doesn't have any TV! We have something we watch videos on, but no TV stations come in.
Ditto!
I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

No I don't have a television in my bedroom.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Chandler wrote:No I don't have a television in my bedroom.
Same here! :D
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I don't have a television in my room, either. Simply not enough room, unless I wanted to take up the entire space on my dresser.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Fenix
The Rich

Post by Fenix »

NO I dont have a TV in my room I used to but then i sold it to a friend of mine who wanted to put it in his room. I live prety much alone on hte floor that i m on, but I have a tv not to far away. But that doesnt count as a TV being in your room so the straight answer to that question is no I do not have a TV in my imediate room but i have one very close by.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I used to be a TV addict, but for the last year and a half, really haven't watched it. I'm glad I didn't back then. I do now, but it only gets turned on for the occasional Home Improvement and news.

-Jonathan
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

yes but just for video games and DVD's
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I just have a video monitor in my room which is like a tv without the tv tuner. I use it for the XBOX, DVD player, and VCR.
drwhit73
Gold Member

Post by drwhit73 »

We have a television in our room but rarely watch it in there.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I don't have TV in my room and don't think one should. Other then when you get to a age when you can handle it.
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

"Me" does. Oh wait, :-k he already said that! #-o But me does. I mean *I do. \:D/
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
Bandit Squirrel
OK

Post by Bandit Squirrel »

There isn't a TV in the whole house, much less my room.
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Heh, no I don't have a TV... My little brother does though, in his room.

It's only a nine inch, and isn't hooked up to anything, except the bunny ears. XD He uses it to watch videos at night, when the other TVs are being used. When not serving as brennan's TV, it is usually put in our mini-van, so we can watch movies on our way down to vacation. :) It doesn't last long though... I have a short attention span.

I personally don't think having a TV in your room is right. That is... for maybe... 18 and below. My older brother has one in his "room" too, but that's because it's a dorm room, and there is no where else for him to watch TV.

My 11 year old cousin is going to get one for her room (probably plasma, knowing her parents...), and most likely, she'll whine until she gets it hooked up to the dish. I don't believe having a TV in her room, is going to pull her out of her... erm... bratty stages. It will most likely pull her in more. Oh joy. ](*,)

Sarah
John Whittaker
Gold Member

Post by John Whittaker »

Not only do I not have a television in my bedroom, but I don't have a television in any room of the house.

I did, many years ago before my wife died, but I was what you would call a "TV Junkie". So we decided to get rid of it. Through the Lord's grace, I've been able to adapt to life without television. And I can tell you that my life is far more rewarding because of it!