Home schoolers!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

I was hone schooled, and I don't think it did any special good for me. To be perfectly honest, it crippled me socially, and only now at the age of 22 am I able to overcome and adjust to social norms in the real world.

It was such a culture shock to me when I went out in the real world, and socially speaking, home schooling hurt me alot.

Educationally speaking, the only major difference is that my being home for school made for a Christian angle to my education. And even them I'm not so sure that most of it took LOL

When eventually have kids, I personally don't plan on hone schooling them. That's my personal opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. I respect those who choose to do so, but I sometimes wonder if the pros outway the cons.......:-k
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I am in 9th grade and I've been homeschooled ever since kindergarten and so have my sister and brother... sometimes I wish I was in a regular school, but homeschool is pretty cool when you get done with your work before noon!

\:D/
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I have been a homeschooler all my life also.
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

I was homeschooled from Grades 1-11 and was in the public school system for grade 12. It wasn't a shock as some of the internet subculture prepared me for it, but there were some things I found very unusual.

I'm actually writing a paper about the social consequences of homeschooling for my Sociology class right now. Reading about others thoughts on homeschooling is interesting.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

the_newfie_haystack wrote:I'm actually writing a paper about the social consequences of homeschooling for my Sociology class right now.
What consequences. ;)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Agent 86
0x Moderator 0x Admin
0x Moderator 0x Admin

Post by Agent 86 »

TKD are you HSed?
^AIOluver^

Who am I? I'd rather not answer that question, the real question is, "Who are you?". Right now I am trying to think of something witty to put here.. I might not find anything, but that's fine. This block of text should be fine for a signature. Wait, are you still reading this? Why are you reading this? Stop. Seriously.
STOP.
This sentence is true.
The sentence above is false.

I dare you not to read this.
Hey! I said not to read this.
Maybe if I talk like this.
Wait, you still see me? *sighs* I give up.

http://blackgaardscastle.forumotion.com/
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Yep. \:D/

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

TKD, it's the "consequences" of not being able to interact with people in public... which my life has proven wrong. ;) I'd love to go over the various points given in opposition of homeschooling, because I know many homeschooled people in real life whose story would contradict the opposition. Here are some of them.

I have friends who are taking online college classes during high school (and are scheduled to graduate from college before high school), and I have friends who are studying to become doctors or nurses, I know a homeschooling family who runs a large family business ($250,000 a year?), a friend of mine has been to Mexico on a very dangerous "missions trip" (they don't allow people in that area anymore), and many others are in college, are married and/or have good jobs.

My oldest brother is graduated from college, got married this past summer, and both him and his wife work at a Christian school; my oldest sister is married and has a 9-month old baby, and her husband is part of the aforementioned family business; my 2nd oldest sister is seriously talking to a guy, she's been in virtually every U.S. state in a tour group, and she's in college now; my 2nd oldest brother is in college and works full-time. I come in next, followed by four younger sisters. \:D/

That is not to say there aren't bad results of homeschooling. I heard a story of a non-Christian family who "homeschools" their two kids, but really all they do is stay at home and work for their jobless-parents. I can see why this would put a bad taste of homeschooling into peoples' months (the "one bad apple" theory). Sometimes people say that homeschooling didn't prepare people for the "real world". Hey, maybe this is true in some cases, but I know for a fact that homeschooling has the opposite effect in some cases. Godly parents are given the opportunity to teach their kids how to live in the world as a Christian, something public school doesn't do.

So ANYWAY, that's my random thoughts about homeschooling. I know there's negatives to it, but the positives shouldn't be ignored, either. O:)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

American Eagle wrote:TKD, it's the "consequences" of not being able to interact with people in public... which my life has proven wrong. ;) I'd love to go over the various points given in opposition of homeschooling, because I know many homeschooled people in real life whose story would contradict the opposition. Here are some of them.

I have friends who are taking online college classes during high school (and are scheduled to graduate from college before high school), and I have friends who are studying to become doctors or nurses, I know a homeschooling family who runs a large family business ($250,000 a year?), a friend of mine has been to Mexico on a very dangerous "missions trip" (they don't allow people in that area anymore), and many others are in college, are married and/or have good jobs.

My oldest brother is graduated from college, got married this past summer, and both him and his wife work at a Christian school; my oldest sister is married and has a 9-month old baby, and her husband is part of the aforementioned family business; my 2nd oldest sister is seriously talking to a guy, she's been in virtually every U.S. state in a tour group, and she's in college now; my 2nd oldest brother is in college and works full-time. I come in next, followed by four younger sisters. \:D/

That is not to say there aren't bad results of homeschooling. I heard a story of a non-Christian family who "homeschools" their two kids, but really all they do is stay at home and work for their jobless-parents. I can see why this would put a bad taste of homeschooling into peoples' months (the "one bad apple" theory). Sometimes people say that homeschooling didn't prepare people for the "real world". Hey, maybe this is true in some cases, but I know for a fact that homeschooling has the opposite effect in some cases. Godly parents are given the opportunity to teach their kids how to live in the world as a Christian, something public school doesn't do.

So ANYWAY, that's my random thoughts about homeschooling. I know there's negatives to it, but the positives shouldn't be ignored, either. O:)
:thud:

;) Yes, that was kinda what I meant. There aren't that many homeschoolers who don't have a 'social life'. That post was basically me letting out my frustration that people have told my parents that we kids won't be ready for 'the real world' when we're that old. ;)
Last edited by The Kings Daughter on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Hehe... I like letting people think that I don't know what's going on. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
orangie
OK

Post by orangie »

I am homeschooled as well.