Reasons Why This Trailer Makes Me Not Want To See VotDT

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!

What do you think the movie will be like?

Awesome as ever!
18%
Pretty good.
45%
Ok.
27%
Pretty bad
9%
Horrible
No votes

Total votes: 11

Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Reasons Why This Trailer Makes Me Not Want To See VotDT

Post by Epic »

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/vid ... 615&ref=nf

Reasons why this movie is going to bomb:
1. Edmund never wanted to enlist in the Army
2. They were pulled into the picture; their room didn't flood over with water.
3. Aslan was not on the Dawn Treader when Edmund, Eustace, and Lucy come aboard.
4. There was no water mermaid in the water when they are on the Dawn Treader till the very end when they are almost to the world's end.
5. They were not brought back to Narnia to be 'tested'.
6. The White Witch NEVER comes back in human/spirit form or any form for that matter. She is dead.
7. When Lucy goes through the magic book, snow doesn't cover the room.
8. The woman that Prince Caspian ends up marrying doesn't glow like a lighting bug.
9. Edmund doesn't have a sword that glows either.
10. The girl that Prince Caspian marries does not become a ball and shoot up into the sky like a reverse shooting star.
11. I never remembered there being a fighting scene with Lucy hold a bow and arrow. (correct me if I'm wrong)
12. And I don't remember then exactly ever returning 'for a reason'. I mean I though Aslan just brought them to help Caspian.
13. They didn't even show how Eustace becomes a dragon :(
14. Peter and Susan were barely ever mentioned in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader book let alone they were never in Narnia in this story. At the end of Prince Caspian Aslan tells them they will NEVER EVER return to Narnia.

I personally LOVE Narnia and all the books. I hate to see them ruined by Hollywood!
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I read through all of these, and though it's been years since I read the book I have an answer for nearly every one (some taken from the book I hold in my hand now. :- ). \:D/
Epic wrote:http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/vid ... 615&ref=nf

Reasons why this movie is going to bomb:
Nothing for this, aside from what I said in the other thread. It's better then being with Eustace. ;)
Page 7-8. Waves do come out of the picture and the room does get flooded. By the time they all surface they're in Narnia.
3. Aslan was not on the Dawn Treader when Edmund, Eustace, and Lucy come aboard.
He shows up in the magician's house after Lucy reads through the book on page 131.
4. There was no water mermaid in the water when they are on the Dawn Treader till the very end when they are almost to the world's end.
So then that was a clip from when they were at the world's end. =P
No, they were not, from what I can remember. That part's gonna be interesting. \:D/
6. The White Witch NEVER comes back in human/spirit form or any form for that matter. She is dead.
What about the island where bad dreams come true? In the FotF CD versions they added the witch's cackle. Edmund would probably have a hidden fear of her after she nearly stabbed him through the heart. ;)
Page 129. "...How to call up (or prevent) wind, fog, snow, sleet, or rain..." So Lucy must read the spell aloud. *shrugs*
8. The woman that Prince Caspian ends up marrying doesn't glow like a lighting bug.
On page 176, when the old star comes out, he is glowing. So I guess they took that and decided to make her glow also to get the star point across.
Haha. That will be funny. Sting, anyone? \:D/
10. The girl that Prince Caspian marries does not become a ball and shoot up into the sky like a reverse shooting star.
They could be skipping ahead in the old star's life and show him becoming a star again.
11. I never remembered there being a fighting scene with Lucy hold a bow and arrow. (correct me if I'm wrong)
That's probably in the scene with the sea serpent. Lucy obviously doesn't do any manly work like trying to shove the serpent's body off the deck, so she might've been shooting arrows at it to distract it. \:D/
12. And I don't remember them exactly ever returning 'for a reason'. I mean I though Aslan just brought them to help Caspian
Page 216. "I am. But I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there." -Aslan to Edmund and Lucy after telling them on the previous page they can't come back.
Who says they won't in the actual movie? =P They can only fit so much in two minutes and ten seconds.
14. Peter and Susan were barely ever mentioned in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader book let alone they were never in Narnia in this story. At the end of Prince Caspian Aslan tells them they will NEVER EVER return to Narnia.
Lucy sees them both in the magical book, I think. :-k Definately Susan (I just checked, page 130) with the part about the beauty spell, but I don't know about Peter. *shrugs*

So no, the movie isn't necessarily going to bomb. ;) All we can see know is two minutes out of about 120. There's a hecka lot more to be seen, don't worry. \:D/
Last edited by Termite on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Good answers, Termite! XD I think I'll add a few more:
It would be a very natural given the time period. Granted, he was probably a bit younger in the book but that doesn't mean that he still didn't wish he could enlist.
Not sure if that's what the trailer was implying or not. The clips are pieced together and may not be happening in the order they appear.
True, but she was already brought back in the last movie so I don't think this reason alone is going to hurt VoDT.
I don't know if that's supposed to be his future wife or not, but if it is, maybe she goes through some kind of transformation to "humanize" her.
The Horse and His Boy?
12. And I don't remember then exactly ever returning 'for a reason'. I mean I though Aslan just brought them to help Caspian.
Even that would be a reason, right?
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

lolz, ya. you can't say the movie will bomb because of a few minor differences... and just from watching the trailer, no less. :roll:

obviously frustrations due to major differences from the books are understandable, but it's retarded to complain that Hollywood is ruining Narnia because they add or take away some minor elements to make the movie work better.

but ya... things like Edmund trying to enlist in the army and the white witch making another appearance make me cringe... we saw those elements in the last movie, and they were corny.

VotDT will probably be another cheesy Christmas film with a ton of computer effects and a few enjoyable moments. not really anything I'm excited for. but, you never know.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

Thanks for going through and getting facts from the book. It's helped me to think that the movie won't be AS bad as I thought! :)

But I just don't like how Hollywood has to change things...I understand the whole time limit, money, yadda ya stuff but still
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The trailer was all over the place, but as someone yet to read the books, I enjoyed it - all 6 viewings. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Chandler wrote:
I don't know if that's supposed to I don't know if that's supposed to be his future wife or not, but if it is, maybe she goes through some kind of transformation to "humanize" her.
Caspian marries the star princess sometime between Prince Caspian and The Silver Chair. :-
But yeah, I'm excited. \:D/ I really hope they show it in Imax 3D where I live.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Termite wrote:
Chandler wrote:
I don't know if that's supposed to I don't know if that's supposed to be his future wife or not, but if it is, maybe she goes through some kind of transformation to "humanize" her.
Caspian marries the star princess sometime between Prince Caspian and The Silver Chair. :-
Duh, I knew that. :roll: I meant that I didn't know if that *star* we're seeing is the future wife or if it's someone else. Probably is though.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Epic wrote: Reasons why this movie is going to bomb:
Except that most of the people seeing the movie probably are only familiar with the movies, not the books, or it has been years or decades since they read the books so it won't make any difference to them. Or they are fans of the books and are basically going to watch the movie no matter what.

So, while the film may or may not stink or do well ;), differences from the book won't directly have anything to do with it.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Feels like answering even if other people already answered.
Epic wrote:1. Edmund never wanted to enlist in the Army
Yeah and Susan technically didn't fight in Prince Caspian. Movies differ slightly from books. But they're still good :-
The book mentioned crashing waves coming from the picture...so it's safe to say that the room flooded :shrugs:
Not all the scenes were from the Dawn Treader :shrugs: So that could have been from when he first came.
Like I said, not all scenes came from the Dawn Treader...or all towards the beginning. So that could been a flash of a scene of the time the mermaid appeared
It adds a twist to the story \:D/
lol. I had to explain this to my mother and brother too...her voice appeared on the Island of Memories (or whatever it's called :-k) Technically Lucy was the one who heard it, but they could have changed it to Edmund to make it more fun
If everything had to be exactly from the book and correct Prince Caspian would get an F-
Do you want everything to be exactly like the book? :-s
Makes it more interesting to have to see it \:D/
Same thing as the last few replies :-
well...she used a bow in the Horse and His Boy....but you know....Lucy fighting in The voyage of the dawn treader is like Susan fighting in Prince Caspian. Didn't happen in the book....but happened in the movie :shrugs:
They can't show everything in the trailer
Yeah, that part confused me too :-

Well...Hollywood technically didn't do them :- But seriously, don't judge a movie by its trailer ;) Try watching the movie first.
Last edited by StrongNChrist on Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Chandler wrote:
Termite wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Duh, I knew that. :roll: I meant that I didn't know if that *star* we're seeing is the future wife or if it's someone else. Probably is though.
Well, sorry. :roll: Then I should have worded it better. There are only two stars in the book, and since she's talking to Caspian I think it's safe to asume it's her and that they didn't through another random character in the movie. And she doesn't necessarily have to be 'humanized' and lose her glow... =P
Last edited by Termite on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Termite wrote:Well, sorry. :roll: Then I should have worded it better. There are only two stars in the book, and since she's talking to Caspian I think it's safe to asume it's her and that they didn't through another random character in the movie. And she doesn't necessarily have to be 'humanized' and lose her glow... =P
No need to be offended. :o

I only threw that last part in there because of the question of whether stars/humans could mix.
But since humans and dwarves can, maybe we're all good...
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I honestly don't think this movie will bomb, though granted, I wish they hadn't put the White Witch in either the last one, or this one, but hey she was probably on the island where nightmares come true, so it's for a better reason this time. And I don't mind all the other changes; I think this one will do SO much better than the last one, because the story will be much better executed, and Lucy and Edmund get more screen time. Which is great because they're amazing actors. Plus, Eustace will be in this one, and that side of the story is very interesting. I'm guessing they didn't show much of him in the first trailer because no one's familiar with him yet.
Last edited by Shennifer on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Till the end of the line.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Chandler wrote:
Termite wrote:Well, sorry. :roll: Then I should have worded it better. There are only two stars in the book, and since she's talking to Caspian I think it's safe to asume it's her and that they didn't through another random character in the movie. And she doesn't necessarily have to be 'humanized' and lose her glow... =P
No need to be offended. :o

I only threw that last part in there because of the question of whether stars/humans could mix.
But since humans and dwarves can, maybe we're all good...
If anyone seems offended I'd say it's both of us. ;)

Oh, well, apparently they can since C.S. Lewis wrote it.... =P

Who else adores the actor for Eustace? He has the perfect look, in my opinion. \:D/
Last edited by Termite on Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Those are excellent reasons. I must say that I recently did watch the newer The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe movie & while it was okay, there were quite a few things that were just
made up & were not from the book. It was not that great of a movie...I also heard that Prince Caspian (I have not seen it) was the same, & it would be very sad if The Voyage of the
Dawn Treader followed the same paths...C. S. Lewis made the books soooooo wonderful, why can't they stay that way?! But all things considered, there were a couple of things that I
enjoyed from The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe that were not from the book. And by the way, (Since someone wanted to know...)the woman from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
was called Ramandu's daughter, & she married Caspian when he came back from leaving Edmund, Eustace, Lucy & Reepicheep at the end of the world.
*insert provocative quote here*
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

For anyone who hasn't seen Prince Caspian yet, go ahead and give it a try. You might be surprised. ;)