"Family Portraits" on eBay

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

"Family Portraits" on eBay

Post by Irwin »

Even though it's unreasonably priced compared to previous times, it's out there for anyone who has ever wanted an abridged version of it. \:D/

Family Portraits ~ $60
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Unreasonable? $42 for Family Portraits plus a bunch of other albums? That's a sweet deal!

Unfortunately, I don't even have that. :mecry:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Woah, I'd love to bid on those! Looks like a deal. I'm with KBT in the poor man's club, though. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

King Butter Turtle wrote:Unreasonable? $42 for Family Portraits plus a bunch of other albums? That's a sweet deal!

Unfortunately, I don't even have that. :mecry:
Well considering it's $18 for shipping (depending where you are), it's missing a tape, and the price will probably get higher, :(
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I would rather have the whole album for that price.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

Laurie wrote:I would rather have the whole album for that price.
Definitely. Tape 3 is missing. Come on now. =[ For the Holy Grail for Odyssey fans (at least me), I want the whole thing. ;)
I do what I do.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I do but i'd still want that! I wish it was still for sale. but I guess then everybody would buy it and it woulden't be so speciel
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I was hoping Odyssey would re-release Family Portraits and More Than Sundays for the 25th anniv, but no luck. I listened to them once online, but they have since disappeared from there as well. Too bad, there were some good episodes.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
therealjoecool
Not as new
Post by therealjoecool »

Actually, I'm surprised they haven't released Family Portraits, even if not for historical purposes. None of those shows were banned, so I doubt that is the problem. I think they were every bit as good of quality as the stuff released on the first album. Some of the Family Portraits shows were even strong, IMHO. (i.e. Member of the Family... classic!)
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I would even like to see the old Office Harley episodes released for the sake of historical value. I think everyone understands there were meant to be comical and in no way reflect a particular police department or police officer. There are plenty of cop comedy shows over the years. No one takes them seriously. It would be a great addition for those of us who want a 'complete' collection.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

If it was released it would only be as a collector's item but, if it was released... it wouldn't be a collector's item. :anxious: Everyone would have it. If you really want them, they're available to listen to (the secret word contest and odysseyfan.com, although he might have been asked to take those down during the secret word contest but, I have them on my computer) if you really wanted to. (But, does anyone really? They're not exactly good episodes.)
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I listened to them once on odyssey fan, but they are gone now. Yes, I would want them if they were affordable. It's the start of Odyssey. Who wouldn't? As with all albums, there are 'decent' episodes, good episodes, and fantastic episodes. I wouldn't say any of the family portraits or even the Officer Harley episodes were 'bad'. There are some regular episodes I find really annoying (The Great Wishy Woz and Pilgrim's Progress) but they speak to other listeners, so who am I to judge? God uses different styles to speak to different people. That's what's so great about Odyssey, there's something for everyone. I find Kidsville annoying as well, but I started listening as an adult and don't have the same perspective. I do, however, LOVE Passages.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
therealjoecool
Not as new
Post by therealjoecool »

jennifertwt wrote:I would even like to see the old Office Harley episodes released for the sake of historical value. I think everyone understands there were meant to be comical and in no way reflect a particular police department or police officer. There are plenty of cop comedy shows over the years. No one takes them seriously. It would be a great addition for those of us who want a 'complete' collection.
I hear ya! I've been dying to hear some of the Harley eps! I've got a few, but there are still several I've never hear. I know most of them were remade as other episodes but as a completionist, it drives me crazy knowing there are episodes out there I haven't heard! I agree with you that most people wouldn't take it too seriously. Didn't one of the producers mention a while back that it was only a couple of people who actually complained in the first place?

Yeah, when I think of Barney Miller or Barney Fife, it doesn't make me respect the police any less— and it didn't when I was a kid either. Still, I understand they didn't want to offend anyone.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Though I was sad to see James Dobson 'retire', I remember hearing on the Podcast that he was the main one who did not like Officer Harley. So I was hoping, that after he has been gone awhile they might be released. The album could be called *Officer Harley Takes the Case* and the Family Portraits could be released as 'An Adventure in Odyssey Retrospective'. Man, I should get paid for this. LOL I would also like to see Good Grief (which I have and love) released as a CD album and More Than Sundays (which I never had) released as well. They were both great 'themed' cassette albums. I have given Good Grief to several families at my former job who's children were having tough times (father committed suicide, etc) and didn't know how to express their emotions. When you need to cry, Good Grief provides some pretty emotional episodes that allow children to deal with unfamiliar feelings in an abstract way. It certainly doesn't take the place of professional help, but can act as a outlet and comfort in trying times.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

jennifertwt wrote:I listened to them once on odyssey fan, but they are gone now. Yes, I would want them if they were affordable. It's the start of Odyssey. Who wouldn't? As with all albums, there are 'decent' episodes, good episodes, and fantastic episodes. I wouldn't say any of the family portraits or even the Officer Harley episodes were 'bad'. There are some regular episodes I find really annoying (The Great Wishy Woz and Pilgrim's Progress) but they speak to other listeners, so who am I to judge? God uses different styles to speak to different people. That's what's so great about Odyssey, there's something for everyone. I find Kidsville annoying as well, but I started listening as an adult and don't have the same perspective. I do, however, LOVE Passages.
I guess if you like the episodes, you would want to buy that CD collection. I, personally think they're garbage so, I've only listend to them like once or twice each. It's just not Odyssey to me. It was never supposed to be. It wasn't created to be a classic. It was created to test out an idea. (which became AIO) After Family Portraits, they kept the good elements and scrapped the bad elements. Also, the audio technology was so... 'primative' back then, they're just bad quality.
jennifertwt wrote:Though I was sad to see James Dobson 'retire', I remember hearing on the Podcast that he was the main one who did not like Officer Harley. So I was hoping, that after he has been gone awhile they might be released. The album could be called *Officer Harley Takes the Case*
Ya, I like the thought but... fat chance! :wink: I have a friend who desperately wants to hear every episode (she's not even that big of a fan but, likes to read/watch/listen to complete serieses of various Christian media. I know whe wrote several letters to FOTF and was denied. I don't think they have any plans of releasing the Harley episodes with or without Dr. Dobson.