Harry Potter

Since we've only mentioned it about twenty million times...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

haha I SO hear that! (the Luna Lovegood comment)

Till the end of the line.
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

Love all the movies and the books, that I do
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Well, to be really honest, I don't like HP much. It has quite a bit of witchcraft in it. Sorry. :( but I don't like it.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

MITCHnTRENT wrote:Well, to be really honest, I don't like HP much. It has quite a bit of witchcraft in it. Sorry. :( but I don't like it.
Each to his own, my friend. Each to his own.

I personally love the books (my dad does, as well; my brother's only seen the movies, and my mom just kind of smiles and nods). However, I have to admit, the whole witchcraft thing doesn't do it for me. I didn't mind it so much in The Chronicles of Narnia, because it was a Biblical metaphor and it didn't take rocket science to figure out that it was so. The Bible, of course, clearly states in numerous passages that magic and sorcery are both no-nos. They're sinful. In Harry Potter, there's simply good magic, bad magic. It's a sin. Plain and simple. And that, aside from the swearing (thank you, Termite! Forgot that one there), is my only issue with Harry Potter. Other than those two factors, the books are great. I think it all depends on what age you are and how mature you are--not the same thing, might I add.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
EcceCorMeum
Lurker

Post by EcceCorMeum »

I'm sure this is obvious, but the entire plot of the series is that Harry is at a school training to be a Wizard. Which seems to me that there is going to be some witchcraft and magic in it.

I love the books, they can be read over and over again, and they never get old. The characters are wonderful, they all have depth and mature and grow over the course of the novels, and yeah. I can't say enough good things about the books.
-Ecce
Could we dim the sun
And wonder where we've been
ShadowSa1nt
SS Random
SS Random

Post by ShadowSa1nt »

TigerintheShadows wrote:
MITCHnTRENT wrote:Well, to be really honest, I don't like HP much. It has quite a bit of witchcraft in it. Sorry. :( but I don't like it.
Each to his own, my friend. Each to his own.

I personally love the books (my dad does, as well; my brother's only seen the movies, and my mom just kind of smiles and nods). However, I have to admit, the whole witchcraft thing doesn't do it for me. I didn't mind it so much in The Chronicles of Narnia, because it was a Biblical metaphor and it didn't take rocket science to figure out that it was so. The Bible, of course, clearly states in numerous passages that magic and sorcery are both no-nos. They're sinful. In Harry Potter, there's simply good magic, bad magic. It's a sin. Plain and simple. And that, aside from the swearing (thank you, Termite! Forgot that one there), is my only issue with Harry Potter. Other than those two factors, the books are great. I think it all depends on what age you are and how mature you are--not the same thing, might I add.
I know that it says that but it wouldn't really be HP without magic. It is all kind of based on Harry learning magic and trying to survive against magic he hasn't encountered before. Just my perspective. :)
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I've never read the books nor watched the movies. Because of the witchcraft in it, I avoid it. If it was just plain magic I wouldn't have minded. But because they have wizardry and witchcraft I don't like them. I have seen some scenes from one of the movie - I didn't even realize it was from HP until afterwards when I read the comments on youtube - and too be honest, it appeared to be interesting but there was obvious witchcraft going on too.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

StrongNChrist wrote:I've never read the books nor watched the movies. Because of the witchcraft in it, I avoid it. If it was just plain magic I wouldn't have minded. But because they have wizardry and witchcraft I don't like them.
SNC the only way that statement of yours can make any sense is if by "magic" you mean stuff like one might see on TV (making things disappear or sawing a person in half, that kind of stuff). otherwise you would be contradicting yourself because their ain't really any difference (or very minor) in calling it magic, witchcraft or wizardry.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

There is a difference between the magic such as in LoTR and the witchcraft in HP.
Magic such as in LOTR is simple made up stuff while the witchcraft in HP clearly glorifies something the Bible says to have obsolutely nothing to do with.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

StrongNChrist wrote:There is a difference between the magic such as in LoTR and the witchcraft in HP.
Magic such as in LOTR is simple made up stuff while the witchcraft in HP clearly glorifies something the Bible says to have obsolutely nothing to do with.
Could you expand on that? Give specific examples? Most arguments without examples can easily be taken as nothing more than bald assertions.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

EcceCorMeum wrote:I'm sure this is obvious, but the entire plot of the series is that Harry is at a school training to be a Wizard. Which seems to me that there is going to be some witchcraft and magic in it.
That's like saying, "The entire set of the movie is in a night club, so of course there's going to be some explicit content in it."

That still doesn't make it right.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
JoyElectric
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by JoyElectric »

While I am very much a believer in "Children, Obey Your Parents," and "Honor Your Father and Mother" (for those still under their parents' authority), it's quite a stretch to get from whatever Harry Potter's magic is to that the Bible which says is antithetical to God's word. At the most, the magic in Harry Potter is a literary device used to tell a far greater story -- one that shouts quite loud "Greater lover has no man than this: That he might lay down his life for his friends."

Harry Potter has as much to do with sorcery as The Flintstones have to do with anthropology.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Wow, JoyElectric.. that was... eloquent? *stunned*

But I echo, in a sense. HP is really just a big story of God v. Satan. Good versus Evil. AKA: Chronicles of Narnia Lion, Witch, Wardrobe. There is no difference between witchcraft in LoTR, Chronicles of Narnia, or HP. It is all the same... magic. Even the simple magic done by little kids these days is... well, lame, but that's besides the point. Magic, or witchcraft, can have a different name depending on the book. The author's preference. It doesn't change what it is. But if you look at the magic itself, you'll argue. If you look at the book(s) as a whole, then you might understand why. Because the forces of good and evil so well portrayed in any book, take for instance the three series with magic, intertwines.

Now, if you want to talk about witchcraft and not being for God, try the Golden Compass... (now, I saw the movie. It was as confusing as dawn is from dusk... The book, well, one day I might get to it. For now I'll stick with my books backlogging in my bookcase... :/ )

So... tearing apart a book doesn't help. Fiction... you don't have to believe a word said within any book (even a book that is non-fiction). But, yes, if you want to read a book and think its going to change your views, then don't read it. But don't judge it or its content before reading... and... the big picture helps. There are plenty of books I've read for fun. And others I wondered about. But I don't go to someone and say "My views have changed on this and this because of a book!" Yeah, um... I'm not that naive. And from understanding, most you aren't either.
ShadowSa1nt
SS Random
SS Random

Post by ShadowSa1nt »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:Wow, JoyElectric.. that was... eloquent? *stunned*

But I echo, in a sense. HP is really just a big story of God v. Satan. Good versus Evil. AKA: Chronicles of Narnia Lion, Witch, Wardrobe. There is no difference between witchcraft in LoTR, Chronicles of Narnia, or HP. It is all the same... magic. Even the simple magic done by little kids these days is... well, lame, but that's besides the point. Magic, or witchcraft, can have a different name depending on the book. The author's preference. It doesn't change what it is. But if you look at the magic itself, you'll argue. If you look at the book(s) as a whole, then you might understand why. Because the forces of good and evil so well portrayed in any book, take for instance the three series with magic, intertwines.

Now, if you want to talk about witchcraft and not being for God, try the Golden Compass... (now, I saw the movie. It was as confusing as dawn is from dusk... The book, well, one day I might get to it. For now I'll stick with my books backlogging in my bookcase... :/ )

So... tearing apart a book doesn't help. Fiction... you don't have to believe a word said within any book (even a book that is non-fiction). But, yes, if you want to read a book and think its going to change your views, then don't read it. But don't judge it or its content before reading... and... the big picture helps. There are plenty of books I've read for fun. And others I wondered about. But I don't go to someone and say "My views have changed on this and this because of a book!" Yeah, um... I'm not that naive. And from understanding, most you aren't either.

I agree with DAM in the statement that the magic in those series are the same. Magic is the environment in which HP is set in. If LOTR wasn't set in Middle Earth would it still be lord of the rings? Magic is merely a tool that Rowling used to tell her story as mentioned above.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

The one thing about the Lord of the Rings magic, I might add, is it isn't witchcraft. Sarumun's, yes; but not the other... seven? wizards. If you get into reading all the histories, like the Silmarillion and Lost Tales, etc., it's mentioned somewhere that the eight wizards are like the "guardian angels" of Middle Earth. The Valor (archangels) that were created by the creator (forget his name) assigned them to scout around Middle Earth and be a general help. It wasn't a bunch of spells or stuff like that, but designed to be used only for the good of the people. Sarumun, of course, betrayed the trust given to him and used his magic for evil, but that was just him.

Now, I haven't read the HP books, but eh. I may just so I know what I'm talking about like I did with the Twilight books. *shrugs*
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

JoyElectric wrote:Harry Potter has as much to do with sorcery as The Flintstones have to do with anthropology.
Haha, great analogy!
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Termite wrote:The one thing about the Lord of the Rings magic, I might add, is it isn't witchcraft. Sarumun's, yes; but not the other... seven? wizards. If you get into reading all the histories, like the Silmarillion and Lost Tales, etc., it's mentioned somewhere that the eight wizards are like the "guardian angels" of Middle Earth. The Valor (archangels) that were created by the creator (forget his name) assigned them to scout around Middle Earth and be a general help. It wasn't a bunch of spells or stuff like that, but designed to be used only for the good of the people. Sarumun, of course, betrayed the trust given to him and used his magic for evil, but that was just him.

Now, I haven't read the HP books, but eh. I may just so I know what I'm talking about like I did with the Twilight books. *shrugs*
I can claim to having never read or seen LoTR, yes. But, as it says on dictionary.com
witch⋅craft  [wich-kraft, -krahft] Show IPA
–noun
1. the art or practices of a witch; sorcery; magic.
2. magical influence; witchery.
Now how is magic not witchcraft??? (its just another name for it...) and witchcraft possibly not magic???
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I think Harry Potter, LoTR, and Chronicles of Narnia are all bad because of magic.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Anna><> wrote:I think Harry Potter, LoTR, and Chronicles of Narnia are all bad because of magic.
wow, wow... that's extensive. Wanna elaborate?

Because, I don't think magic should being the stopping point of what these stories hold. If you based everything off of magic, you wouldn't hear anything. Only believe that magic is bad, and if magic is used... its bad. But LoTR and Chronicles of Narnia mean much more. I'm pretty sure CS Lewis had a much broader idea for his books. Like good versus evil. It sometimes takes something like magic to interest others. You want a broad reading spectrum when it comes to being an author. You appeal to many, not just a few. That is why CoN is so popular. Christians understand what the story tells, others like it because of its content and magic and the way its told.

So, I wouldn't say they are all bad because of magic... if I'm right LoTR was written from a Christian perspective... or that's what people have told me. I haven't seen the movies nor read the books, mind you. If my school library holds the books, I get the feeling they have more meaning then Middle Earth and magic...
ShadowSa1nt
SS Random
SS Random

Post by ShadowSa1nt »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:
Anna><> wrote:I think Harry Potter, LoTR, and Chronicles of Narnia are all bad because of magic.
wow, wow... that's extensive. Wanna elaborate?

Because, I don't think magic should being the stopping point of what these stories hold. If you based everything off of magic, you wouldn't hear anything. Only believe that magic is bad, and if magic is used... its bad. But LoTR and Chronicles of Narnia mean much more. I'm pretty sure CS Lewis had a much broader idea for his books. Like good versus evil. It sometimes takes something like magic to interest others. You want a broad reading spectrum when it comes to being an author. You appeal to many, not just a few. That is why CoN is so popular. Christians understand what the story tells, others like it because of its content and magic and the way its told.

So, I wouldn't say they are all bad because of magic... if I'm right LoTR was written from a Christian perspective... or that's what people have told me. I haven't seen the movies nor read the books, mind you. If my school library holds the books, I get the feeling they have more meaning then Middle Earth and magic...

The impression that i got when i watched the lord of the rings is that it is kind of representing the end times in the major battles and stuff. You can match them up with battles in revelations and different similarities. Tolkien was also a friend of C.S Lewis. I looked it up and Tolkien saw Lewis writing a book and he decided to write one too and it turned out to be LOTR.