Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Post by Shadowpaw »

Who here has seen it? I just came back from it and thought it was pretty good. I remember growing up enjoying the classic with Gene Wilder, but I like this version just as much (if not moreso, as it is truer to the original book). The only thing about the original I liked better was the Ompa Loompa's and their songs.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

My sister saw it and thought it was ok. I will never see it. I hate the book, the movie, the concept...it looks creepy. I hated the original and I dislike Johnny Depp. You couldn't pay me to see this movie. The second book in the series, "Charlie and the Elevator" gave me nightmares! ARGH! :anxious:
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

LovedbyGod wrote:My sister saw it and thought it was ok. I will never see it. I hate the book, the movie, the concept...it looks creepy. I hated the original and I dislike Johnny Depp. You couldn't pay me to see this movie. The second book in the series, "Charlie and the Elevator" gave me nightmares! ARGH! :anxious:
Poor LBG....*comforts LBG with a hug* we still love you. You're forgiven for hating CATCF.

I'd kinda like to see it. But I wouldn't pay any money to see it. I'll wait for the DVD to come to our library and then put it on hold.

I love Gene Wilder. The End.
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

I want to see it SOOOOOOOO BAD!!!!!!!!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I am not going to see it. I can't stand Johnny Depp.
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

i love Jonny Depp!! i really want to see it too!!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I hear they made the movie more scary and less innocent-ish than the original. How disappointing. :(

I'd like to see the movie some time, but I can't stand Johnny Depp's look. :-#
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I can't wait till it comes out in Germany! I really want to see it! I saw the pre-views, and it looks great! :D
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I might see it, but I really do like Gene Wilder. Plus Johnny Depp looks waaaay too creepy and Michael Jackson ish for my tastes.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

I'm quite interested in seeing it (I've always loved the book). I guess I'll wait until Mellow gets back though.
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

I just saw it! It was so good! O loved it! It was very funny, and Johnny D did a WONDERFUL job as WW.

Are we shocked that he did a good job in another movie role? No.

Do I like this one more than the original one? A bit hard to say. This one was really good, and very funny. It was visually incredible, but yet the characters weren't quite as good as the originals were. The original's characters were more fleshed out, more.......real. These characters were a bit.......stale and boring. The kids were updated, and more connected to kids today, and yet they don't convey the same feeling and beleivability as the original kids did.

And then there's Willy Wonka.

Did Johnny D do a good job? No. He did a great job. Maybe even brilliant. But he STILL can't even touch Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka. Gene was classic in the original one.

Over all, the original was a bit funnier, and more real feeling. This one is more wild feeling, and zany. WW is still wild and crazy, but Gene still pulled it off better than JD could ever hope to.

So there it is! My review!
EugeneFan
OK

Post by EugeneFan »

I plan on going to see this movie tomorrow. I'll post my thoughts on it after I've seen it :).
Robert Mitchell
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Robert Mitchell »

I'd like to see the movie, but haven't had a chance to do it yet. It looks a lot better than the old movie. It looks like that one was filmed in the 70's of 80's. The new one has a better spin to it. Because of modern technology, it can make movies looks a lot better.
Vote RM for the *Unofficial*! | You Need to See This!
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

I actually liked the look of the original better. It had a better feel to it.

However, I must say that the funniest part of the whole movie was when the kids and parents meet Willy Wonka for the first time outside of the factory! That was so funny! :hilarious: :hilarious: :rofl2: :rofl2:
StarWarsfan
Processing

Post by StarWarsfan »

Evil Chick wrote:I can't wait till it comes out in Germany! I really want to see it! I saw the pre-views, and it looks great! :D
Yoiu live in Germany?!?!?!? no fair I want ot see CATCF I have seen the original one with Gene Wilder and I like it I have read and did a book report both books and liked them I have the two books and the original movie I want CATCF
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I love in the remake when Willy Wonka comes out of the factory, trying to be all 'hip' and says "Good Morning Starshine... the Earth says hello!"

Unfortunately, having been locked up in a factory for so long... no one gets his joke and the entire crowd is silent as Willy Wonka awkwardly looks down at his cue cards ;).
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

LovedbyGod wrote:I dislike Johnny Depp.
Laurie wrote:I can't stand Johnny Depp.
I leave for camp, and return to find a mob was raised against Johnny Depp! :shock: My avatars will never be looked at the same way. :noway:

Back to the topic.

I would really like to see it, but I would rather spend my money watching The War of the Worlds. :-
EugeneFan
OK

Post by EugeneFan »

I saw the movie a few hours ago, and I enjoyed it. I thought this release was better than the first one, except for the fact that this one was a bit weird. Other than that, I liked it!
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

I saw it last night (I guess Mellow will have to go some other time).

As I said before, I've always loved the orginal book. I've read it probably a dozen times. Quite a few years ago, after reading it , I really wanted to see the movie (which I had only seen once when I was really really young). I found it to be quite bland, though, compared with the book. Wonka's factory was so limited that it couldn't even have a Great Glass Elevator, and had to replace its trained squirrils with geese. Plus, the movie kept getting interrupted by songs, and there were some stupid nitemare scenes popped in the river sequence. Most the amazing, magical inventing machines were covered in cloth since the movie was too low-budged to actually show what they looked like.
I was able to watch part of the movie on TV recently and found it to be better than I remembered (in terms of script) but the movie still was very unmagical and I noticed that Wilder's Wonka kept saying random comments like "We are the music makers, the dreamers that dream" when he was supposed to be saying a come-back to one of the kid's remarks.

Ok, enough about the old one. This is what I thought of the new one.
Wow! It was as though they had taken the book and put it through a movie-o-tron. Nearly everything about the movie (besides, ironicaly many facets of the character of Willy Wonka himself) was so like the book, from the script to the design, to small details that could have easily been left out (thank goodness they weren't though) that I found almost the whole thing to be thoroughly enjoyable.
Even though Wonka's character was different, they still kept most of his best lines from the sbook and I enojoyed seeing a little variation in the plot.
It was also great to see that the Oompa Loompas were singing the original songs from the books, but it's a great shame that you could hardly hear the words of them.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a brilliant, dazzling and funny movie that, besides being filled with eye-candy (litteraly) also sports a great script.
beka8910
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by beka8910 »

i haven't seen it and I've heard it was quite stupid from some of my friends but I am going to see so I'll let you know when I do.