The Kindle

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

The Kindle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Have you guys heard of this? Could you imagine using it? Does anyone here own one? Do you think it could be a big hit, eliminating hard copies of everything forever? Should AIO start putting their books in this form?
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Heard of it last school year.... :)

I want one.. but too much, and I have all reayd too many books... which, I want more!

I wish I owned one!

It hasn't took away books yet... it might take a while if it were to become a big hit... okay, it all ready has become a big hit. It's been out for over a year... maybe a year and a half now. Amazon is selling many things for the Kindle, and keeps adding everyday. I doubt it'll eliminate books forever. I believe the world will end before that can happen... but, it might be easier with the Bible... concordances are annoying for me to use... Always pros and cons to everything!

There aren't enough AIO books to really... matter about putting them to Kindle form. If they wanted to, okay, fine by me. Books are just fine though... not everything will go to kindle. And nothing has gone straight to kindle and stopped being a hard cover... so... yeah
Follower of Christ
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Follower of Christ »

I prefer books over electronics. There's just something about being able to actually hold the book.
I'm not sure I could last if books were eliminated!
Jesus is ready for anyone who is ready for him.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

French Fries wrote:I prefer books over electronics. There's just something about being able to actually hold the book.
I agree.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Even though I like actual books, this actually seems really neat!
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

Reading books on screens is annoying and hurts your eyes after a while. Plus, do those things smell like books? I think not. Ruins the experience entirely.
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Jugglah wrote:Reading books on screens is annoying and hurts your eyes after a while. Plus, do those things smell like books? I think not. Ruins the experience entirely.
The kindle uses e-ink technology and isn't backlit so it puts no strain on your eyes and it looks like ink on paper.

My dad has a kindle and I use it all the time, its amazing...it's what I read most of my stuff on now. \:D/ I like the idea of bringing an entire library with you wherever you go, also you can download from wherever because of the evdo built in modem...its amazing. Seriously I find it just as enjoyable as holding an actual book, plus it's eco-friendly because your saving trees. \:D/
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

I have realized the subliminal message of "The Kindle."
They plan to switch us to non-paper, and will burn our books.
All they want to do is make real books so rare that the economy will go up.
Or it's censorship and suppression, a la Fahrenheit 451.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
funnelcakelady
Just visiting

Post by funnelcakelady »

AIO would probably have to pay to put their books into this form, like selling songs on iTunes.

I'm not saying that they don't have the money to do it, I just don't think theres high enough demand for electronic...odyssey books. And I like reading *real* books better anyway (:
~~bwa~~
I honestly don't have time to be posting on ToO
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Captain Barbossa wrote:And nothing has gone straight to kindle and stopped being a hard cover... so... yeah
Actually, Stephen King wrote a book specifically for the Kindle that was never released as a hard copy. That's what it will take: some big authors to support it.
Follower of Christ wrote:I prefer books over electronics. There's just something about being able to actually hold the book.
That's kind of the whole point- it's designed to give as much of a book-like experience as possible. It's the size, shape and weight of an average paperback, so it's not like reading on your iphone and, as Ek mentioned, it uses E-ink which is easier on your eyes, just like reading a book, not a computer. They're trying their hardest to keep it only serving it's primary funcion. They could, for example, put mp3s and videos on it, but they're not, because that takes away from it's primary function: long term reading. They want people to feal like they're buying a book, not a computer.
Jugglah wrote:Plus, do those things smell like books? I think not. Ruins the experience entirely.
Haha, good point. Although, if they really wanted to, they actually could implant the scent.

If you haven't noticed yet, I'm very much for this new invention. I especially like the functions of viewing newspaper and magazine subscriptions, documents and wikipedia. Most of you know that I'm not a very avid reader (but portable wikipedia sounds quite appealing :D ), but I can definetly see a world within my lifetime, with absolutely no hard copies of books. Everyone, from 5 to 100 would own one. Instead of having lockers and backpacks, we could put school textbooks on them. Textbooks could even be interative, with built in videos, matching exercizes and practice quizes. Imagine how it would change our world. There would be no more libraries, lockers, cookbooks in kitchens, hymnals in churches, songbooks, paperboys, or even printers!!!
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

King Butter Turtle wrote: Imagine how it would change our world. There would be no more libraries...!!!
Don't say that! Please, whatever you do, do not say no more libraries, especially not cheerfully.
O:)
I like regular books much better. I cannot stand reading on the computer unless it is on the Internet. I admit, however, I would not lose library books if I had a Kindle. O:) But, I think I'll stick with a good ole' non-environmentally friendly, hardcover (or paperback) book. O:)
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

I would LOVE a Kindle, but they are waaaay too expensive. :(
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

^ditto. They look cool. How good is the e-ink? I've never seen it, but I've heard it's pretty good. :-k
...I hate marquees.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I'm not really a book person anymore, but the book people I know (like my husband) wouldn't go for it. They like the feeling, the smell, the little personal habit and nuances of their own reading experience.

That said, it's a neat idea, and I think is better as an "also" to books rather than an "instead." It would be convenient for really frequent reading travelers... like if you took the train or bus to school/work on a regular basis. KBT's ideas of how they could revolutionize textbooks is quite interesting... if all your books for the year could be loaded onto a unit like this instead of needing to lug around the tomes now needed, this would also improve the postures of kids! ;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i have wanted a kindle so badly since it can out but until recently none of my favorite authors had books on there yet. but now that they do i really really want one again.
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

Sarai Binghamton wrote: Or it's censorship and suppression, a la Fahrenheit 451.
YES I love that someone used this reference, that's immediately what I was thinking when I was reading this thread.

I think the Kindle could be a really great resource, to provide cheaper textbooks for poor college students, and more instantaneous accessibility, but if I'm reading for pleasure...I like to sit and hold a book and zone out from my electronics.

It's the same concept as anything else electronic: convenience over ambiance. If I'm in a hurry to make a meal, I'll pull the recipe up on my iPhone while I'm at the grocery store and leave it on the counter while I'm cooking. If I want to really create a meal, I'll peruse cookbooks and browse a few local cooking stores for inspiration.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

Trillspots wrote:
Sarai Binghamton wrote: Or it's censorship and suppression, a la Fahrenheit 451.
YES I love that someone used this reference, that's immediately what I was thinking when I was reading this thread.

I think the Kindle could be a really great resource, to provide cheaper textbooks for poor college students, and more instantaneous accessibility, but if I'm reading for pleasure...I like to sit and hold a book and zone out from my electronics.

It's the same concept as anything else electronic: convenience over ambiance. If I'm in a hurry to make a meal, I'll pull the recipe up on my iPhone while I'm at the grocery store and leave it on the counter while I'm cooking. If I want to really create a meal, I'll peruse cookbooks and browse a few local cooking stores for inspiration.
I might be in the minority in think this but i really don't consider the Kindle as a typical electronic device due to it revolutionary screen.
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

In the words of one Major Charles Emerson Winchester III, "Thank you, no."

Back when I first started working at my local library, we offered e-books to check out for a brief period of time. The patron could check them out like they could a regular book and the e-book would be downloaded to their PalmPilot or their computer. But it never really took off, and after a few months we discontinued the service. And as far as I know, no one has ever requested that we start doing it again.

I personally have never understood the purpose or need to translate books into electric formats such as the Kindle, or the iPhone. In my opinion, if you just want to read a book, go and pick up the actual book!

-Kim
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!