Online classes

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Online classes?

Yes, and I have taken at least one!
52%
Yes, but I haven't taken any.
5%
No, but it sounds interesting.
43%
No way! (Explain please)
No votes
No, but I was *forced* to take one once.
No votes

Total votes: 21

KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Online classes

Post by KODY 105 »

This is not an advertisement or discussion for any individual class. My purpose for starting this thread is to discuss online classes in general. Have any of you taken any online classes? I do not mean a hybrid class (which consists of partly classroom hours and partly online school-website hours). I mean a class where material in a textbook is assigned online, quizzes are taken online, and perhaps even tests are taken online.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

Well, pretty much all of my high school was online with teleconferencing.
I've also taken a number of distance-ed classes through college, but those are much tougher for me for the simple reason of me somehow forgetting about homework. I don't know either.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I've never taken one, but it sounds interesting.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I'm taking a class now where all lectures are online, and we have a couple group projects. The assessments (3 quizzes, final exam), however, are on paper in person. The class is only online because the professor is on sabbatical. We're watching last year's recorded classes. I'm a self-motivated person and am enjoying watching lectures on my own time, but I also enjoy going to the classroom for lectures in my other classes.
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

I have taken most of my high school through online courses such as Potter's School and North Star.
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

Yes, I took several classes in college/grad school online because they were cheaper than the local university (online from a community college). They included writing on threads/message boards and answering discussion questions/participating in online discussions. It was fine for me because I'm very self-motivated but I know some people who couldn't pull it off. It was also nice to work around my work and class schedule.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

Samwise wrote:I have taken most of my high school through online courses such as Potter's School and North Star.
Obviously I need to get an alumni-class ID of some sort, in order to see just how far we can forcibly take the TPS-ToO synchronization process.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I took one in college, it was okay. Meh.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

I'm currently enrolled in "6th Grade P.E." online. :-
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

I took two online college classes last semester, and I am currently taking two more.

I really like taking the classes online. You can work from the comfort of your own home and on your own schedule (to a certain degree, of course).

The Ghost of Aeva
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

King Butter Turtle wrote:I'm currently enrolled in "6th Grade P.E." online. :-
I played Jump Start 3rd Grade one time...but that's not online, I guess. :anxious:
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

The only one I ever took was a basic HTML class offered through the city some years ago. It was interesting, and nice to do it all in my own time. Most of the information is pretty outdated now though. I would do an online class again, especially considering the time constraints I now have. ;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Mountain_Girl
Classic

Post by Mountain_Girl »

I've taken several and I hated them......it isn't the same as in-classroom classes....you don't get to see the teacher and it is hard to get into contact with them.

ImageImageImageImage