Journal problems

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Ever thought journal entry loss?

Yes. (That could explain my erratic behavior)
11%
Never.
89%

Total votes: 9

KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Journal problems

Post by KODY 105 »

Do any of you keep a journal on your computer? Have you ever opened a backup and thought it was your main file, therefore coming to the conclusion that you have lost several months' worth of entries?

I did that just now, and I just about broke down. Then I realized one letter in the path was different (the drive letter, to be precise), and I was able to open my real journal file last edited yesterday. Praise God I found the right file!
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

closest thing I got to it is my blog which is on my Myspace
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

I have always kept my journal on paper. But I have sometimes skipped a page or two, and then came back later and freaked out, but that's as close as I've gotten.

I really don't trust computers enough to hold my journal. Though I have tried something like that in really confusing times.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End
It’s my birthday

Post by Evil Chick »

I keep a journal on my computer. It's called My Journal of Really Happy or Really Sad Things. It's not nearly extensive enough for me to worry about backup or losing stuff... Just random thoughts when I was really happy or really sad. :D
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Nah I use paper for such things. :noway:

Though I haven't even done that in over 10 years. \:D/
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Everything I write on the computer I end up having to delete so no one in my family can read it. If I write something on paper I either rip it up as soon as I've finished writing it and throw it out....or just hide it good.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Evil Chick wrote:I keep a journal on my computer. It's called My Journal of Really Happy or Really Sad Things. It's not nearly extensive enough for me to worry about backup or losing stuff... Just random thoughts when I was really happy or really sad. :D
So it's kind of a happy smiler/Evil Chick kind of breakdown. ;) (Really happy vs. really sad...it kind of fits!)

I don't keep a regular journal, but I usually write my thoughts down on paper instead of the computer for personal things. I still like actually writing on paper instead of typing everything, especially for more personal things. I can see how it would hard to think that you had lost the record of so many of your thoughts, whether they were recorded on paper or in the computer!
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I don't journal on the computer. Too many people use the computer. Besides, I prefer using paper.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End
It’s my birthday

Post by Evil Chick »

Catspaw wrote:
Evil Chick wrote:I keep a journal on my computer. It's called My Journal of Really Happy or Really Sad Things. It's not nearly extensive enough for me to worry about backup or losing stuff... Just random thoughts when I was really happy or really sad. :D
So it's kind of a happy smiler/Evil Chick kind of breakdown. ;) (Really happy vs. really sad...it kind of fits!)
Heh... I hadn't thought of that! Kinda cool though. \:D/
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Kind of like Wooton's red and blue bunny slippers! :lol:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

I keep a journal, as well as a lot of poetry, classwork - and my entire art portfolio, and my resumes on an external hard drive.

Yesterday it crashed, I panicked. I have four interviews in the next month that I need my portfolio and resume for and they were all...gone. I called the makers of the hard drive, they essentially told me, they'd replace it but the data loss was my problem. So I called a data recover service, and another...and another...and they all quoted me around $2500-5000 to recover anything on it. (But they'd be so kind as to waive the initial consultation fee of $50 for me...helpful, right?)

So, I took it to my hacker Father, and am just praying he can rescue my files. (Without reading some of my more personal letters and journal entries...)

Kind of similar situation.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End
It’s my birthday

Post by Evil Chick »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
Kind of like Wooton's red and blue bunny slippers! :lol:
That's a really cool comparison! I love Wooton! \:D/
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

That's what mine is too (just without the excellent name)! \:D/ I've had mine since I started college, and it's about half full.

I don't regularly journal on the computer, but every so often my off-the-top-of-my-head thoughts end up in a Word document instead of on the cozier piece of paper.

I just wrote one of those Word documents the other night, and I emailed it to myself out of fear of a computer crash. Endless backups are a must; losing such important writing would be very tragic indeed.
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

I've always kept my journal on paper. :)
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I only have a prayer journal.
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

No, I mostly use a paper journal but had a fitday journal online...I guess I don't worry about losing it, though. It's mostly about weight and junk like that (since it's on a calorie-diet related website).
InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

I lost two months of my journal this summer...my computer crashed and I hadn't backed it up for awhile. I felt really awful, and still do.
The good ol' ToO.