Ryan's amazing ToO Chat tutorial

For those of you who can't connect using the regular chat interface

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Ryan's amazing ToO Chat tutorial

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

Alrighty, lets get this started. Some of you may have issues with the chat being blocked because it is Java based, so this tutorial will help you get around that. Instead of unblocking it, I am going to teach you the ways of IRC, and how to get on the ToO chat a different way :).

STEP #1
Installing an IRC client.
First off, most of you use firefox, so we are going to use a firefox plugin called "chatzilla" which can be obtained here.

It's pretty self forward from there, just click add to firefox, and you will see this:

You have to wait a few seconds for the button to become clickable, and once you click it it will be installed, and I believe you will have to restart firefox.

STEP #2
Starting Chatzilla.
You won't see any apparent changes, because there really aren't any. But now, under "Tools" you should see an item called "chatzilla" Click that.

A window comes up like the following:

This is chatzilla. It is very basic, and very down to point. Unlike normal applications like Yahoo messenger or MSN messenger, this one operates on commands. It is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, but the hardest part is starting off, and remembering the commands.

IRC works like this:
One server, can have tons of channels. These channels are hosted on sites by individual users, for instance, the ToO chat is hosted by Tim, on the youthfire.com server.

So first thing is first, we need to connect to the youthfire.com server like this:

Code: Select all

/attach irc.youthfire.com

This attaches you, or "connects" you to the youthfire chat server.

You should see a window like this:

The information that comes up is fairly irrelevant, it is basically a long welcome message ;).

Now that we are on the server, we can connect to the Town of Odyssey chat room. This is a channel on the server, and channels are assigned a Has sign (a "#") before the name, to assure they are channels. Join the channel like this:

/join #aio
Now you are on the chat! And should see something like this:

The list on the left, is the users that are on the chat.

You can now talk to whoever you want, and everything is set :).

STEP #3
Registering a nickname.

Whenever you get on irc.youthfire.com you will have a nickname automatically, but it is basically a "guest" account. This is fine for some people who get on rarely, but others like myself, want to have a set user name. Here is how to do that:

In the irc.youthfire.com channel window:

/nick esrever
This changes my nickname to esrever.

/msg nickserv register mypassword [email protected]
This one queries the servers nick name protocol, registers the nickname with the password "mypassword" with the email: [email protected]

You only need to do this once, and after that, you are all set. Each time you come into the server, you will need to log in if you desire to use your nickname. That is done like this:

/nick esrever
Changing the nick to esrever...

/msg nickserv identify mypassword
This logs you in as the user esrever, with the password "mypassword"

This will register

STEP #4 [EXTRA COMMANDS]

If you haven't noticed by now, all of the commands start with a "/". This just a character to inform the server that it is a command.

Here are some useful commands:

/nick
This command sets your nickname. So for me; "/nick esrever"
And my nickname would be esrever.

/me
The /me code is pretty cool. Instead of typing *eating* You could do: "/me eating"

And it would appear as this: "esrever is eating". It's a fun command to play with, and you will see JesusIsAlive *Jayaar in the chat* use it quite often ;).

/disconnect
This will disconnect you from the server and consequently the channel.

/quit
This will disconnect the channel, server, and close the chatzilla window :p.

!+!+!+!+!+!+!

Hope this was awesome enough, and easy to follow, ~ Ryan.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

It works!!! I did it! Happiness!! Thanks so much a bunch Ryan!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Tim Peterson
Pilgrim

Post by Tim Peterson »

As a matter of fact, I upgraded the ToO chat box last month to add non-Java alternatives. When you click on the "Town of Odyssey Chat" link on the main page, you'll get a window that lets you select a nickname and what interface you want to use to chat. The default is Mibbit, a fairly new IRC gateway that doesn't use Java. There's also another interface called CGI:IRC, or you can still use java if you like. Let me know if you need any help.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

And what if we have internet explorer?
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Donna Blackbeard
Wasting money here
Wasting money here

Post by Donna Blackbeard »

King Butter Turtle wrote:And what if we have internet explorer?
Then you are out of luck.
Tim Peterson
Pilgrim

Post by Tim Peterson »

King Butter Turtle wrote:And what if we have internet explorer?
You're still welcome to use the chat box linked on the main page. It works on both IE and Firefox, and has three different chat client options built in. Everybody should be able to use at least one of them.

The alternative to running Chatzilla on Firefox is to download a separate IRC client such as X-Chat or mIRC. We can post instructions for those too if desired.
hubcap
new and improved danny
new and improved danny

Post by hubcap »

Completely random- that is an old shot you used there, Ryan. That was the topic... months ago. Months and months ago.
Do you believe in the couch?
Tim Peterson
Pilgrim

Post by Tim Peterson »

Ozon wrote:Completely random- that is an old shot you used there, Ryan. That was the topic... months ago. Months and months ago.
Well... yes. I would expect nothing less, given that the post itself was made months and months ago. Unless you were somehow expecting the screenshot to automatically update to reflect the current topic...
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher

Tim is right \:D/.

As far as having internet explorer, I'm sorry (not in an apologetic form, mind you).
Use x-chat, or some variant thereof.
Tim Peterson
Pilgrim

Post by Tim Peterson »

Also, if you're on Windows, as many poor unenlightened people seem to be, you should use the free version of X-Chat for Windows rather than the one at the official site.
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher

Tim Peterson wrote:Also, if you're on Windows, as many poor unenlightened people seem to be, you should use the free version of X-Chat for Windows rather than the one at the official site.
*cough* I could have sworn there was some argument about this in the chat at one point :-.
Tim Peterson
Pilgrim

Post by Tim Peterson »

Azariah Ben Yaakov wrote:
Tim Peterson wrote:Also, if you're on Windows, as many poor unenlightened people seem to be, you should use the free version of X-Chat for Windows rather than the one at the official site.
*cough* I could have sworn there was some argument about this in the chat at one point :-.
Do I want to remember what you're referring to? :anxious:
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher

I believe at one point, an individual argued that x-chat was only a 30 day free trial, having downloaded it from the site, and another argued that it wasn't :-.
Tim Peterson
Pilgrim

Post by Tim Peterson »

I can't imagine having an argument about facts... :-
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher

I have a vivid, clear, articulate, bright imagination O:)