Wikipedia

*glares*

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

(please read post first, then vote) Do you trust wikipedia?

Yes
46%
No
15%
Not anymore I don't.
6%
I've never used it before.
2%
I don't really care, I've only used it a couple times.
23%
I don't care.
8%

Total votes: 52

Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

Woah, this is an old thread. My thoughts about Wikipedia have changed a bit since I actually posted this thread.

I use it quite frequently for many facts and/or people I don't know. But, I still don't use it for evidence. It's still cool though.

I am so trying that six click challenge thing. :)
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Angel wrote:Woah, this is an old thread. My thoughts about Wikipedia have changed a bit since I actually posted this thread.

I use it quite frequently for many facts and/or people I don't know. But, I still don't use it for evidence. It's still cool though.

I must have missed something; what is the six click challenge?
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

KODY 105 wrote:
Angel wrote:Woah, this is an old thread. My thoughts about Wikipedia have changed a bit since I actually posted this thread.

I must have missed something; what is the six click challenge?
If you go back one page, you'll see what Selah suggested.
Basically, you go to wikipedia, hit the search arrow (without putting anything in), then go to the search on left of the page it brings you to, click on the 'Random Article'. Challenge: From that article you have only six clicks to try and get to an article about Hitler.

I got there in ten clicks. Starting from an article about British Columbia Highway 99A.
Edit: Eight clicks from an article on Poe, Indiana.
Last edited by Angel on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

I think there's actually a psuedo-official version somewhere in the more fun wikipedia: pages. They select two articles at random and you have to get from random article 1 to random article 2 in the least number of clicks.
...without editing them.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

That sounds interesting too. Where is that?
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I was just informed by my professor that I can't use Wikipedia as a reference for my senior project. :(
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Hmm, you bring up my personal topic. I am an active user there. On the English Wikipedia with 1,000+ edits, and the Simple English Wikipedia with 8,500+ and am an administrator.

I have reverted so much vandalism and added thousands of sources. No, I do not believe everything on it is true, but it has more collected information and facts than any other place, so I use and edit it often.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Hmmm. What is Simple English Wikipedia as opposed to regular Wikipedia? :-k

EDIT: I followed your link and am looking around and it looks very... uneducated. :anxious:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

TC wrote:Hmmm. What is Simple English Wikipedia as opposed to regular Wikipedia? :-k
It is similar, but they use simpler words, shorter sentences, easier grammar and avoid multiple-meaning of words ("like" means many things, use "enjoyed" and "similar to," etc.) It was created for people who aren't very good in English, who are learning it, children, and others who don't like to have to research every other word on the English Wikipedia. I like it very much.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

That's a nice idea in theory but it has like... 2 sentences for things that should garner multiple paragraphs to only scratch the surface. :noway:
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

TC wrote:That's a nice idea in theory but it has like... 2 sentences for things that should garner multiple paragraphs to only scratch the surface. :noway:
They don't even try to explain the Higg's Boson.
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

TC wrote:That's a nice idea in theory but it has like... 2 sentences for things that should garner multiple paragraphs to only scratch the surface. :noway:
That's kind of the whole idea. It's not for people like you, it's for little kids and people who are learning english. It's not supposed to have the same information as wikipedia. (also, I believe it's pretty undeveloped compared to regular wikipedia, although I'm not too familiar with it, so you'd have to ask AE)
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Haha, yes. It's a small and undeveloped Wikipedia. But growing very fast.
Clodius Albinus wrote: They don't even try to explain the Higg's Boson.
Higgs boson is a stub, and therefore short.
King Butter Turtle wrote: That's kind of the whole idea. It's not for people like you, it's for little kids and people who are learning english. It's not supposed to have the same information as wikipedia.
No, it should have the same information, just easier to read and understand.
King Butter Turtle wrote:(also, I believe it's pretty undeveloped compared to regular wikipedia, although I'm not too familiar with it, so you'd have to ask AE)
Yes, I know more about Simple English Wikipedia than about anyone else, and I once was the most active user there, and wrote the best article there, Charles Spurgeon (it's a very excellent article).

JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

Angel wrote: If you go back one page, you'll see what Selah suggested.
Basically, you go to wikipedia, hit the search arrow (without putting anything in), then go to the search on left of the page it brings you to, click on the 'Random Article'. Challenge: From that article you have only six clicks to try and get to an article about Hitler.

I got there in ten clicks. Starting from an article about British Columbia Highway 99A.
It took me 4 clicks. xD The random page was some lady named Eva Condon. :p
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I like wiki, but man, the info they give... it's either useful, or USELESS. Because it is written and could have been written by ANYONE, most of it could be lies.. time 10. I konw a few places where I know there are lies that someone has written.. because of my research on a few things from other sites.

I use it a lot, but I'm thinking of never using it again.. it's just not truthful. And most teachers now are saying you can't use Wikipedia anyway... at least, in college, and my school is itching toward that idea.. I'd have mixed feelings if that passed. But, well, for the better, I'm going to guess.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I still like Wikipedia. :noway: Easiest place to look when I randomly need to explain to Kimberly about the digestive system or show her a picture of an aardvark. Because the girl wants to know everything and my brain doesn't store nearly as much as those Wikipedia servers.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Dr. Watson wrote:I was just informed by my professor that I can't use Wikipedia as a reference for my senior project. :(
You poor deprived soul. :(
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

JesusIsAlive wrote:
Angel wrote: If you go back one page, you'll see what Selah suggested.

It took me 4 clicks. xD The random page was some lady named Eva Condon. :p
I got there in 3 clicks! \:D/

Random article = Nakakawane, Shizuoka > Japan > WWII > Adolf Hitler
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

King Butter Turtle wrote:
That's kind of the whole idea. It's not for people like you, it's for little kids and people who are learning english. It's not supposed to have the same information as wikipedia. (also, I believe it's pretty undeveloped compared to regular wikipedia, although I'm not too familiar with it, so you'd have to ask AE)
It's not a bad idea in theory, but what I saw in just looking at a few articles... misprints, grammar errors, and in the case of a video game... the picture on the side wasn't even OF THE GAME THE ARTICLE WAS ABOUT. ;)

If we are trying to help young people and new English users, shouldn't we be teaching them with proper English? :noway:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

TC wrote: It's not a bad idea in theory, but what I saw in just looking at a few articles... misprints, grammar errors, and in the case of a video game... the picture on the side wasn't even OF THE GAME THE ARTICLE WAS ABOUT. ;)

If we are trying to help young people and new English users, shouldn't we be teaching them with proper English? :noway:
Haha, wow. Like I said, it's less developed than the English Wikipedia. Go through these articles, that's kinda the better part of the Wikipedia. Could you tell me what page the video game picture was, I'd like to fix it.