Driving

what's the age in your state?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

How old do you have to be to attain your license? (in your state and all...)

about 15 is when everything starts. then license @ 16.
74%
14 for a permit, then whenever after 9 months
No votes
16 to take Drivers ed. license at 17.
9%
i ride a bike everywhere.
6%
Who drives anymore!!?!?!?!? Honestly! $4 a gallon. no way!!
11%

Total votes: 35

ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Driving

Post by ObiWan Kenobi Girl »

Some places it is like 14, and others it is about 18, so how about you guys. my school made me so mad b/c they let younger kids into it b4 me, even though i have been old enough for quite some time, my parents just haven't let me. so rotten.
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

My state (Virginia) lets kids get their permit (through a test) at the age of 15 1/2. Then, nine months later, you get your license (if you pass the test). At least, that's what I've been told.
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

In GA, you can get your learners at 15, and is it 16 that you can get your licence....I think so. :-k
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

In SD, you can get your permit at 14, restricted license 6 months later and your license at 16. I got my license! \:D/
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

In Kentucky, when you're 16, you get your permit. When you are sixteen and a half, you get your license. Only three more years to go. \:D/
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

AR:

Permit at 14.

Learners License 30 days after wards.

Motorcycle license with bike displacing 250 cc's or less 14, or 15 I can't remember.

Restricted license at 16.

Fully license at 18.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Permit at 15 1/2, and license at 16, although I think it's restricted.. I dunno, I was(am) fine with it, it lets me drive. \:D/
...I hate marquees.
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

Ryan wrote:AR:

Permit at 14.

Learners License 30 days after wards.

Motorcycle license with bike displacing 250 cc's or less 14, or 15 I can't remember.

Restricted license at 16.

Fully license at 18.
You should move to SD because I(at age 16) already have my full license. :noway:
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Up here in Canada, SK i can get my license at 15... but i'm not sure how much i want to drive. we live 20 mins out of town so do get anywhere would cost like 12 BUCKS just to drive in and out!
OUTRAGEOUS!!! ](*,) #-o
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

In Illinois you can take Driver's Ed when you are 16. Now if you are 16 you have to drive a certain number of hours with a licensed adult and have written proof before you can get your license.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Laurie wrote:In Illinois you can take Driver's Ed when you are 16. Now if you are 16 you have to drive a certain number of hours with a licensed adult and have written proof before you can get your license.

Ok, i live in Illinois.. but..:
In my town, you can take drivers ed. when you are 14. actually, it's illegal, but kids do it all the time at my HS. idk how. then you have 2 have it 4 9 months and 50 hours then license at 16. but you can only have 1 person outside of your family adult in the car with you. it's rigged. we're supposed 2 b 15 b4 we even take it. i was pretty mad. :explode:
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

In Nebraska, you can get your permit when your 15 (wow, only four more months) and your lisence when your 16. But you can get a lisence when your fourteen that lets you drive to school, work and church, but with strict curfew and passenger rules. Also I think there's other rules in rural areas, which would be the whole state except for two counties (including mine.) Try this game!
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

That's totally how it is in Kansas! this kid i know drove all the time there and then moved here and couldn't drive 4 like a whole year more til he can even take the class!!
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Thought this might be helpful in relation to this topic...

http://golocalnet.com/drivingage/
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

16 for a permit in New York, 6 months after a permit, you can test for a license.

My junior license became a real one today! :D
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

When I was old enough for it to matter you had to be 16 to get a permit. Shortly after I turned 16 and began the driver's ed process, etc, they changed it to 15 1/2 for the permit, but you can't get the actual license until 16. I assume that is still how its set up but I have no reason to care. \:D/
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

In Oregon, when you are 15, you can get your permit. When you turn 16, you can get your License, on the condition that you have driven 100 hours with a parent or an adult 21 years of age or older. Or it can be 50 hours with a parent, and 50 hours in Drivers Ed. If you are 16 and you want to get your license, but previously did not have your permit, you must get it and have your permit for 6 months or longer before you get your license. If you are 18, and have not gotten your permit or license, you can just get your license. I don't know how that would all work without driving experience....

I have my permit all ready, since I'm 15 (and have been). I don't think I'll get 100 hours in before November, since I'll be living in another city apart from here in Portland, apart from my parents, and I'll never get Driver's Ed. My parents aren't very happy about that. I don't want driver's Ed. I don't ever want some weird stranger telling me how to drive.

That's Oregon...
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

In BC you can start learning at 16, but it's 18 before you can drive with unrelated passengers.
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

TheJM wrote:Permit at 15 1/2, and license at 16, although I think it's restricted.. I dunno, I was(am) fine with it, it lets me drive. \:D/
Same.
Rodney Rathbone
Pilgrim

Post by Rodney Rathbone »

I drive whenever I want!