The End of Odyssey

Story ideas...

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

How should Odyssey end?

Old characters should come back, (i.e. Lucy, Barclay family, Richard Maxwell, etc.)
13%
Someone should die, (i.e. Tom, Whit, etc.)
13%
A marriage should happen (i.e. Connie and Mitch, Connie and Jason, Lucy and Richard...LOL)
No votes
It should be a normal average day
3%
Odyssey can NEVER end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
72%

Total votes: 32

Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

The End of Odyssey

Post by Over the Rainbow »

We've had over 20 wonderful and inspiring years of AIO. Unfortunately, charcters and voice actors or actresses have grown up, moved away or in some cases, died. There are not many of the original production staff still working for AIO, again I say, it's been 20 LONG years. With that being said, it is rumored Odyssey may becoming to an end soon (Yes, it has to eventually! :sniff: ). So, how exactly do you think Odyssey should end? Should it be a quiet normal ending, like any old day in Odyssey? Or should it end with a wedding, a reunion, return of old characters or even a funeral?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

xoxPinkRainxox13 wrote:With that being said, it is rumored Odyssey may becoming to an end soon...
Your sources?

Eerily enough, you've almost described this season... :anxious:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

My sources are several friend and aquantinces of mine...
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

They wouldn't go on hiatus if they were ending the show, would they...?

*feels deprssed* :mope:
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

How they end this season...I don't think they would be ending it that soon. Yes, ending at sometime in the future... sounds like it would happen, but now? Um, this season doesn't tie up half of what us listeners want to hear before the show ends.

Come, on, some of us do want to see what happens to Tom, what happened to Richard Maxwell, many things. These season right now...isn't helping any of those cases.

I say a wedding shoulld end the show...hehe, a double wedding...of come sort. TOm shoul dhave all ready died or something gone on...?, dedfinitely old charcters should come back, or should have all ready before the end. Remember, we've got Lucy and Jimmy showing up here soon, I pray. With Lucy... I hope, I pray, It's all in the Writer's (and God's) hands. Which can be quite trying for me. I'm in such suspension!

Other than that... I don't know. It'll end, but how it ends... as Dee Henderson did in her O'Malley series, they could leave us hanging and we fill in the blanks. Which can be soo annoying!!!!! Closure sure helps!

Unsure,
Danielle/Marisol
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Sadly, I have been thinking the same thing myself. The producers say that AIO will be back in the fall of 2009, but they haven't said anything to ease my concerns. They have closed Whit's End and to me that sounds like an ending. I also wonder WHO will be back and who won't. The way things have sounded so far, sound like a possible ending.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Laurie wrote: They have closed Whit's End and to me that sounds like an ending.
Whit's End has been in a similar predicament at least twice (The Battle I and Darkness Before Dawn) and I don't think anyone was concerned about the future of Odyssey then. :-k
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Laurie wrote: They have closed Whit's End and to me that sounds like an ending.
Whit's End has been in a similar predicament at least twice (The Battle I and Darkness Before Dawn) and I don't think anyone was concerned about the future of Odyssey then. :-k
If you will recall in the Complete Guide there is mention of the show ending after Darkness Before Dawn. Page 209 if you are looking for a reference. Things do change and have with Odyssey and from the way things sounded in your podcast interview with Marshall and Nathan even more change is coming. I'm thinking we need to start being very concerned about the future of Odyssey.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Oh, I don't doubt we should be concerned with the future of Odyssey. As you mentioned, there is potentially going to be a lot of change after the hiatus, so it would be naive to assume things are just going to remain the same. That being said, I also think it would naive to use the current storyline with Whit's End as justification for concern over the future of Odyssey.

...or maybe I'm just hopelessly optimistic. :anxious:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Oh, I don't doubt we should be concerned with the future of Odyssey. As you mentioned, there is potentially going to be a lot of change after the hiatus, so it would be naive to assume things are just going to remain the same. That being said, I also think it would naive to use the current storyline with Whit's End as justification for concern over the future of Odyssey.

...or maybe I'm just hopelessly optimistic. :anxious:
Perhaps the closing of Whit's End is flimsy justification, but it is certainly a possible scenario and there are other possibilities. What about the talk on this forum about Jason not coming back? If Townsend Coleman is not going to come back that would open the door for Paul Herlinger, Katie Leigh and Will Ryan, not to mention the fact that Marshall and Nathan mentioned kids that were either staying or going.
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

A show like "It's a Wrap" would be the perfect way to end with the show. The people in Odyssey experience nothing other than an ordinary day, but the listeners are treated to a special show format.
InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

I don't know what I would do if Odyssey shut down...If it does you HAVE to keep the archives open!!!

I'll miss Jason, we should have an episode about him overseas or something!
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

Of course I think Adventures in Odyssey should continue forever and ever. That being said, we know only eternal life with Jesus continues forever and ever, and even the amazing show of Adventures in Odyssey will one day end. (sigh) When it does end, it should be a regular, run-of-the-mill day. That's what the show is--life in the town of Odyssey. Just as it began with an unassuming story of a child being helped by the wisdom of a godly man, so it should end.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I'm a-gonna have to agree with Trent.

While I haven't listened to the interview with Marshal and Nathan, the impression that I got was that there was going to be a lot of change in Odyssey in the next two seasons or so. I don't think that the show is going to end now. And perhaps that's what we will see with Whit's End--there's change coming.

While it's possible the show will end someday, I don't think we need to be concerned about that now.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I'm agreeing with Jonathan (for the first time..ever)
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

Odyssey should end on a happy note, but also bittersweet like LOTR. Odyssey has shown us emotion throughout the years it has graced the radio with its presence, and I believe the last episode should not have us in tears of sadness, but tears of joy. I would like them to end it in an open way, leaving our imaginations many paths to return to Odyssey.

Also, I do not believe Odyssey is ending. Just because they are bringing back a few old characters and leaving some doesn't mean anything. From the interviews I've heard and read, the writers seem to enjoy Odyssey very much. A hiatus is somewhat saddening, but we can endure it. Odyssey will return Fall of 2009, with a bang, and I'm sure of that. They didn't stop in 1996-97, and I don't think they plan to stop now.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

There's no way Odyssey will end, we might see major changes after the hiatus and Odyssey might be nothing like it was in Whit's Flop but we will have Odyssey of some sort. I suppose it might end in millions and millions of years but it will last untill I die and that's all that really matters. (that brings up an interesting thought, is there Odyssey in heavan, that would be cool!)
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

King Butter Turtle wrote:I suppose it might end in millions and millions of years but it will last untill I die and that's all that really matters. (that brings up an interesting thought, is there Odyssey in heavan, that would be cool!)
Odyssey in heaven? That's an interesting thought.

Odyssey lives in our imaginations. It is fiction. Yet there is always an element of truth in fiction, we know that. Heaven is the presence of God--the place where the imperfect disappears and everything is most real. I think of the heaven we glimpse in The Chronicles of Narnia. Narnia didn't disappear--what they found was a Narnia more real than before. I also think of C. S. Lewis' other classic on heaven, The Great Divorce. Heaven wasn't just an ideal, it was the most real place. More real than earth.

All that rambling to say--All that is glorifying to God will be in heaven, in the most real sense that it is, which may be different from how we see it now.

Other thoughts?
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

I think that Whit should get a disease and leave the Country with Bernard.Maude.Tom and Agnes on a Final missions trip.
Eugene would take over as chaIrman of UPF.
wOOTN WOULD BECOME THE NEW MAYOR OF oDYSSEY.
Lester takes over Hand Up.
And Connie becomes the owner of Whits End.
Well what do you think of my speculation?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Well I'm sure if they were going to end AIO, it wouldn't be a totally sad ending, like Whit's End being closed and every single major cast member getting gunned down or something. ;)

I could see the possibility of Whit dying in the very end but it'd be clear that other people are taking his place running Whit's End and basically life in Odyssey would continue... we just wouldn't be listening to it anymore. ;)

Or they could just nuke the whole place or something.