For all you devoted internet listeners...

a question

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Chandler

For all you devoted internet listeners...

Post by Chandler »

Do any of you record the daily show off the internet? I'm starting to look for episode differences between radio and album versions of the show and a comment by J-Man in another thread drew my attention to "Back to School" which is one of those shows. In fact, several shows with version differences aired recently and many more and going to air soon. I'd like to get the radio copies if anyone records them. I already own all the album versions.

And as a bonus for some really devoted fan, I'm offering $100 ToO to the first person that can come up with an alternate version of "Gifts for Madge and Guy" that I swear I heard on the radio once. I'm positive that Madge and Guy's exchange after she cut her hair was slightly longer but I haven't been able to locate that version of the show since then.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I don't and probably should. The reason I don't is that I don't know how. I wish I did because I would love to be able to do it not only with AIO, but Down Gilead Lane as well.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

I usually record the weekend shows so i can listen to them till they come out on cd's, the program i use is just a free program that you can get here,

http://www.freecorder.com/freecorder3/index.php

It's the best way i've found to record them so far but there's probably a better program out there

Reddo
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Thanks Reddo. :) I'm looking into what I can do on my end. There are some shows that have already aired, though, that aren't in the archives so I'd still like copies of them if someone has them.
Forte
OK

Post by Forte »

I was actually wondering about this. Are there any legality issues with recording episodes right from the internet? I used to record a few here and there, but I stopped when I realized that it might not be the best thing to do. Can anyone set me straight on that?
|My LiveJournal|My Facebook (Add me, please! I need a reason to use it! :P|

I like changing my avatar a lot, so expect a new one every now and then.
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

I believe that anything on public radio waves is legal to own. Correct me if I am wrong, but videotaping shows, and recording the radio isn't a crime I don't believe.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Reddo wrote:I usually record the weekend shows so i can listen to them till they come out on cd's, the program i use is just a free program that you can get here,

http://www.freecorder.com/freecorder3/index.php

It's the best way i've found to record them so far but there's probably a better program out there

Reddo
could you list some you've recorded?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

the only ones that i have recorded and havn't deleted are episodes 631 - 635
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

So it is legal?
shasta
My posts are revolutionary

Post by shasta »

Forte wrote:Are there any legality issues with recording episodes right from the internet? I used to record a few here and there, but I stopped when I realized that it might not be the best thing to do. Can anyone set me straight on that?
Similar to VCRs, if you're recording for your own personal use, I don't think there's an issue.

If you share or copy that recorded content (video or audio) with friends--or sell it in any form--I believe that's where you get on the wrong side of the law.

But I'm no lawyer! And, of course, copyright laws differ for every country.
-king shasta
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

shasta wrote:
Forte wrote:Are there any legality issues with recording episodes right from the internet? I used to record a few here and there, but I stopped when I realized that it might not be the best thing to do. Can anyone set me straight on that?
Similar to VCRs, if you're recording for your own personal use, I don't think there's an issue.
Well I'm sold. *goes to download the whatever-it's-called recording program*
Forte
OK

Post by Forte »

shasta wrote:

If you share or copy that recorded content (video or audio) with friends--or sell it in any form--I believe that's where you get on the wrong side of the law.

But I'm no lawyer! And, of course, copyright laws differ for every country.
-king shasta
Ahh, I see. Well, that's good to know, then. Thanks for the help! Maybe I'll record what I can of this season until the new album comes out? I'd like to give the episodes a couple more listens before I can get some true high-bitrate quality. :3

I'm not entirely sure about the whole "sharing content" thing, either (even though I've been perusing laws and whatnot - apparently the US law is archaic in that reguard, or so I've heard >_>). I'm trying to justify my KR fansubs somehow, as well, but I can't get a straight answer. xD

I dunno, maybe I'll start a thread and ask that other question I've been trying to get answered... *idea...?*
|My LiveJournal|My Facebook (Add me, please! I need a reason to use it! :P|

I like changing my avatar a lot, so expect a new one every now and then.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

So I just made my first try with freecoder and the recording has a bunch of funny blips--almost like a kind of feedback, I guess. Anyone know why this is?
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

I record all the daily and weekly shows with Audio Hijack Pro. That's where I got most of my eps.

I actually wrote Focus once and they said it was fine.
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Jonathan wrote:So I just made my first try with freecoder and the recording has a bunch of funny blips--almost like a kind of feedback, I guess. Anyone know why this is?
I wouldn't know for sure unless you posted an audio sample, but my guess is it's (1) because of your recording settings or (2) the program automatically inserts those blips into your recordings.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Back to my original post. :) Has anyone recorded shows recently airing on the weekdays? Does anyone want to share those with me? There shouldn't be any legal issues because I already own all the albums with those shows.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

The only shows I've recorded have been off of Oneplace, since they deliver the best quality you can get on the internet. However, all Odyssey episodes on Oneplace are the album versions... :-k
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:The only shows I've recorded have been off of Oneplace, since they deliver the best quality you can get on the internet. However, all Odyssey episodes on Oneplace are the album versions... :-k
Hmmm... I went and listened to "Back to School" at Oneplace yesterday and it had the radio wraparound. :-k I know that's not on my album version.
IForgotMyUserName
I've been here a bit

Post by IForgotMyUserName »

It’s funny how many little changes there are in the various episodes. In “Back to School”, my album has the full wraparound, but the album is back from the late 80s. Since then, the wraparounds must have been dropped. Most of the wraparounds are present for episodes in albums 2 and 3.

Regarding “Gifts for Madge and Guy”, there does appear to be a short dialog segment deleted from the conversation.

Both begin with:
“Oh, hello, my name’s guy, what’s yours?” “Guy, it’s me!” “Me? That’s a strange name. Waiting for Madge? I expected her home by now, but uh”

Deleted Section:
“Guy, don’t you recognize me? It’s me. Me.” “Me me? Hm, Doesn’t ring a bell, sorry.” “I’m your wife.” “Have you told Madge about this? Boy am I going to get it when she finds out”

Continues with:
“Look at me Guy, it’s me, Madge.” “But Madge has a nice perky personality…”

I wonder if this section was in the original broadcast, or was deleted beforehand and only later re-inserted, Accidentally or intentionally. My copy in the album “Adventures in Odyssey” doesn’t have this segment and neither does the new album “The Adventure Begins.” A broadcast tape from 1993 does have this segment however.

Does anyone know if the albums “Odyssey USA” or “The Early Classics” contain this deleted dialog? Or if the original broadcast tape from 1987 contains it? It would surprise me if this dialog were in the original broadcast, since the tape from “Adventures in Odyssey” has the Odyssey USA opening and appears to be unedited.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Jonathan wrote:So I just made my first try with freecoder and the recording has a bunch of funny blips--almost like a kind of feedback, I guess. Anyone know why this is?
I wouldn't know for sure unless you posted an audio sample, but my guess is it's (1) because of your recording settings or (2) the program automatically inserts those blips into your recordings.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... B83E85E2BF