What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

I just finished reading The Slave Dancer by Paula Fox. *Shudders* It's a good book and all, but it's somewhat disturbing. It's about a boy named Jessie who gets kidnapped to work on a slave ship sometime in the 1800's. It's kind of sad.

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Tyrell
No way I broke the window

Post by Tyrell »

The Warrior Elite -Dick Couch. \:D/
~S~
HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

I had to read this short story called "The Open Boat" for English. It was pretty bad... but I wrote an okay essay about it.
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Mobius 1 wrote:The Warrior Elite -Dick Couch. \:D/
My brother loves that book, and the rest of Dick Couch's stuff. I should read it sometime...

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Sins of the Father by James Scott Bell
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

agent3xq wrote:
Aelwyn wrote::-$ Don't tell anyone.... *looks around* But I'm re-reading the Boxcar children series. :-$ I'm reading them because I'm so tired that I want something that will take little effort to read.
wow bocar children that is a blast from the past \:D/ I loved that series so much =D>
I enjoyed the Boxcar Children books too...especially the first one :-
sether
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by sether »

I am reading "Sadako and the Thousnad paper cranes". It is one of my school books.

Sether
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Dragonwings by Laurence Yep. I also read Dragon's Gate by the same author. Both of the books are brilliant. Laurence Yep is officially one of my favorite authors of all time.

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Whispers of Winter by Tracie Peterson, it was excellent. I am starting The Affectionate Adversary by Catherine Palmer next.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

the_newfie_haystack wrote:I just finished reading The Slave Dancer by Paula Fox. *Shudders* It's a good book and all, but it's somewhat disturbing. It's about a boy named Jessie who gets kidnapped to work on a slave ship sometime in the 1800's. It's kind of sad.

Haystack
I've read the book. Ditto the analysis.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

A Country Christmas by Bonnie Lou Risby.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Affectionate Adversary and will be starting The Bachelor's Bargain next. :D
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

As soon as I get it, I will be reading Karen Kingsbury's latest book, Family.
Skid
Still standing tall
It’s my birthday

Post by Skid »

I'm reading the abridged version of Oliver Twist for a school project. It is still about 200 pages long though. :read: My only comment on it is that either they left out all the good parts when they did the abridging, or the author really isn't as good as his reputation says.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I haven't read "Oliver Twist," but I did enjoy "Great Expectations." Abridged versions aren't always the best. :( I don't know about this book specifically, but Dickens was being paid by the word for at least some of his stuff, so some of the stuff being cut out might have been considered extra padding that didn't really need to be there. ;)
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

I just read this book called "One Blood" It gives you the biblical view on racism and how we all look different!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Catspaw wrote:I haven't read "Oliver Twist," but I did enjoy "Great Expectations." Abridged versions aren't always the best. :( I don't know about this book specifically, but Dickens was being paid by the word for at least some of his stuff, so some of the stuff being cut out might have been considered extra padding that didn't really need to be there. ;)
Yeah, that's what I've heard too. The only Dickens book I've read is Tale of Two Cities, and I really liked it.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I'm reading Safely Home by Randy Alcorn. It's a novel about a family of Christians in a persecuted country and also has the perspective of angels. My mom recommended it to me.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Yay for another Randy Alcorn fan \:D/

Safely Home is like the only book of his I haven't read or own. :(

Do you read any of his non-fiction stuff? It's REALLY good.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again