When did AIO 'jump the shark?'

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

When did AIO jump the shark?

Exit Stage Left - Hal Smith gone
No votes
Return from the dead - Blackgaard's Revenge
16%
What were they thinking? - Split Episodes
41%
Writer's Block - Lollar and McCusker not carrying the load
9%
Saga Schmaga - Really, Mind control, Novacom?
3%
Return from the dead 2 - Leonard Meltsner
6%
Never Jumped
25%

Total votes: 32

Flyah
Popsicle kid

When did AIO 'jump the shark?'

Post by Flyah »

Sorry if this topic was already mentioned - when do you think it did? Some of these are general - can you think of a specific episode or line where you thought - they've jumped?
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

Well, I think it probably started around the time of Album 33, which contained the split episodes. But the show still had that Odyssey feel and there were some good episodes that I really enjoyed. As time went on though, it seemed like the quality and originality of the show was starting to stagger a little bit and was starting to sound more like an audio cartoon than a radio drama. There were some exceptions every now and then, but AIO just seemed different. Fortunately, the show made a turn for the better with the return of Eugene. His character brought back so much! Granted, I don't think that Odyssey will ever be that special show that I once knew, but I most likely will always be a fan and thank the whole AIO team for continuing to produce it. :)
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

Is there such a thing as temporary shark-jumping, then snapping back into shape?
If so, choice 2 or so/split episodes era in general, returning during the Novacom Saga and/or after A Most &c trilogy.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

Of all those, I picked split episodes, not necessarily because I didn't like the episodes, but they need to be able to have 20-25 minute episode.
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I didn't vote, because my opinion wasn't up there. I don't think it went down the tubes after Hal's death, but when Paul Herlinger returned as Whit, followed closely by an entirely new slew of kids - most of which didn't have much dimension - then I would say AIO took a turn for the worse, though I think it's (overall) sunk to a new low more recently.

But don't get me wrong, I'm way too sucked in now to NOT listen to each new episode as it comes out...but AIO's peak was years ago.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

I'd say right after Novacom.

Novacom was perfect, nearly one of the best times of the show. I was truly impressed, but coming back from it, and then showing the transition of "slice-of-"life" shows, Odyssey is so much more different now.

I mean sure, the slice of life shows were so terribly bad, showing Odyssey in such a large period of confusion, yet they managed to fix themselves by presenting the Novacom saga. So, as Paul McCusker and the rest of the trio stopped carrying the load of the show amongst them three, it turned into a much less better show.

However, we know that the new writers can do it, since they impressed us with the Novacom Saga.

"Signed Sealed and Delivered" Era was quite bad too. I wasn't impressed with that album. I've gotten used to it now, but not then.

I just wish they'd work harder on the feel of the show. Even this week's program, it was just such a different style of episode, the humor, acting, music, and just the seriousness and drama of the show has left.

I keep listening, because I know the team CAN change it back to a better time. I don't mean "The time it was before". I don't want it to be...but just a better, more attractive and better written time.

Bennett
Jasper Dale
OK

Post by Jasper Dale »

if they ever bring back those maddening "split episode" odyssey shows again, i think i will stop buying the series on CD!

:-
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Ouch!

I didn't like the split episodes much either.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

They never jumped. I actually liked the split episodes. *Waits for the mob to come and attack her.* :anxious:
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

I wouldn't say they "jumped the shark" but they changed their entire outlook when Phil Lollar left. He was really what made Odyssey a town we all loved.

The new writing team isn't doing a bad job perse but they're not Phil and Paul.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

About the time Whit came back. Search for Whit was good, and the Eugene/Katrina episodes right after that, but basically once he was back in Odyssey I never thought the show was as good again. Not that it's Paul Herlinger's fault, but the writing changed then. Was that when some of the writers left?
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Probably that was around the time the writers started leaving. I also think that after the hiatus Odyssey has never been the same.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Donkey Kong wrote:Probably that was around the time the writers started leaving. I also think that after the hiatus Odyssey has never been the same.
I agree. Oh wait, I already said that, didn't I? Well, you guys managed to say the same thing in fewer words =D>
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

When Hal Smith died, things definately changed. But the new-Whit, is just as much Whit to me...
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

I don't think it ever jumped the shark. I associate that term after a show is cancelled and then you look back to see what caused it to go down hill. Usually when a show jumps the shark it never recovers. You can't say that about AIO. Certainly the show has had it's ups and downs (and the split eps. were surely a down) but I think now AIO is as strong as ever. I kind of see the ups and downs as evolving. AIO has done alot of evolving over the years. I give them alot of credit for trying different things, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't work. However, one of the greatest attributes AIO has is that they listen to their listeners and that's why AIO has been so successful for so long. =D>

I'm assuming everyone knows where the term "jumping the shark" came from, right?
Last edited by WindowWasher on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exercise Daily-Walk with The Lord!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

WindowWasher wrote: I'm assuming everyone knows where the term "jumping the shark" came from, right?
You would definitely be wrong in that assumption, since I have no idea where the phrase came from. I had never heard it before this thread. So if you have the full scoop, I sure wouldn't mind hearing it! \:D/
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

You can read it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark. Basically, after the episode where Fonzie literally jumps a shark on water skis (Fonzie was on water skis,not the shark) the popular show "Happy Days" started to lose it's audience and never was the show it used to be. Now this term is used with any show that had some turning point where it starts to go down hill snowballing to eventual cancellation.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, how interesting! (Though it's clear that the show's mistake was not having the shark being the one wearing the water skis). ;) I learned something new today! Thanks, WindowWasher! \:D/ I'll have to start using that phrase and see if anybody knows what I'm talking about.
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

No problem Wendy! Boy am I getting old, I remember watching that episode when I was a kid. #-o
shasta
My posts are revolutionary

Post by shasta »

The site that popularized this phenomenon is www.jumptheshark.com , which keeps a catalog of when TV shows "reached a defining moment, a peak... then you knew it was all downhill from there."

Peace!
-king shasta