Moshing....

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

When I go to a concert....

I am the first one to shove the person next to me!!!
5%
If I don't leave the moshpit with at least a bloody lip, it was a waste...
5%
I might throw the occasional punch, but mostly I like to just watch the band.
18%
Moshing is stupid.
14%
Moshing is really stupid.
5%
Moshing is incredibly and truly stooooooooooopid.
55%

Total votes: 22

Jessicado
Love to love

Moshing....

Post by Jessicado »

So I went to a concert yesterday with my bf and we waited on the outskirts until the band I was really excited to see was ready to come onstage. We went up front by that stage (there were two different stages so that while one band was performing, the other stage could be getting ready for the next band). We waited patiently by the empty stage until the other band ended and everyone crowded around us to see The Presidents of the United States of America.

The band came on stage and everyone clapped and cheered. I was so excited. Then they started to play and I began to sing along and groove to the music. It soon started to get had to groove though, because the crowd started to get so clustered that I literally couldn't tell where I began and the people around me started. I tried to minimally groove and still sing when the swaying of the group began to get harder and soon I was being shoved around like a rag doll. I looked around astounded..What was going on?!?!!?!? Elbows were being jammed into my side and and then I was hit really hard in the head and the next thing I knew some girl was falling on top of me. My bf put his arms around me to try and ward off the crowd so I could stand up and gain composure--the chick had landed on me so hard my ear was bleeding.

I realized that a mosh pit had broken out around us. Now, I know that many of you younger individuals out there have no idea who this band is (Have you heard the song "Peaches"?), but this is not a band you mosh to.....There were about 6 or 7 p[eople around us who were trying to continue to stand up and avoid the moshers who were by now out of control. People were flinging water bottles around and throwing shoes and sunglasses. I was soon being shoved over again and my bf and I made sort of a team brace to be able to stand up and keep our ground. He wanted to know if I wanted to leave, and I stubbornly replied that I hadn't waited almost an hour to be close to the stage in order to be moved.

Long story short, I didn't even really get a chance to really enjoy the music. I spent the next 45 minutes just trying to stand in the same spot. My bf is about 6 and a half feet tall and built like a mac truck and he stood behind me warding off the moshers, while me and a few other people just tried to stand in place. It was like a huge horrible pushing contest with an occasional hit to the head by someone's foot who was bodysurfing and I couldn't see because they were coming from behind. When the band ended, I was completely drenched in other people's sweat, had a bleeding ear and my feet were completely covered in mud and dirt from being stepped on along with a nice broken toenail that had been torn off and was also bleeding. We didn't even try to go up and get close to the other main band when they came on.

So my point is: what is the point of this?!?!? Do you mosh or if you were to go to a concert, would you want to? I mean, I understand that if I went to a Static-X concert or....I dunno, Korn or Marilyn Manson or something that there would be moshing, and even though I don't understand it, I wouldn't be upset because I know that is how things work. But this was a happy laid back concert an there were all these hoodlums slamming into me! (I just used the word hoodlums..I am so old!!!!) It got to the point that I was about ready to deck this one guy next to me..but I didn't. Do people nowadays not know how to dance without throwing themselves at eachother and swinging fists? Is that the norm at every concert where there is standing room? Am I the only one who finds it offensive..and for those of you who may do it or want to...WHAT IS THE POINT?!?!?!?!!?!?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I almost never go to concerts, and moshing is not something that I would consider to be an enjoyable part of any concert that I would deem worthy of my attendance. :noway: I know that some people think it's fun, but I have to say that I voted for the very last option. O:)
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I have been to concerts (when I was young and crazy :lol: ) where there was moshing. It is truly stupid. It detracts from being able to watch the band, IMO. Isn't that why you went to the concert in the first place?
darcy
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

You gotta admit that moshing is fun.

Iverkid
Pray for Sri Lanka.
Mr Sarcastic Cow Man
I'm memorable

Post by Mr Sarcastic Cow Man »

Iverkid wrote:You gotta admit that moshing is fun.

Iverkid
I don't think anyone really has to admit that, or even believe it for that matter...
Bare feet pwn. ~ Lucy
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Jessicado, you have an amusing way of telling stories even when they probably aren't supposed to be funny... Like this one. I was amused... \:D/

I never go to concert where they mosh... and I don't at all think they'd be enjoyable, and they seem incredibly stupid.
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I'm going to start a mosh pit at the Brad Paisley concert I'm going to in August!!!! \:D/

And yeah I have been at quite a few that have mosh pits back in my teenager years, but now I'm too old and don't want my wheelchair damaged. :(
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

Amadeo wrote:And yeah I have been at quite a few that have mosh pits back in my teenager years, but now I'm too old and don't want my wheelchair damaged. :(
Do you have one of those cool powered wheelchairs? \:D/

And I have to admit that I really didn't know what moshing was until I read about Jessicado's experiences at the concert. :lol:
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
Tyrell
No way I broke the window

Post by Tyrell »

That's why I go to concerts. \:D/
~S~
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Tyrell Jackson wrote:That's why I go to concerts. \:D/
That's the only reason, eh?

;)

Lucy
don't forget the rain.
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

well I have never gottan the chance to cause its not allowed at this one conference thing I go to every year. but if it was allowed I would be crowed surfing the whole concert!!
Image [img]
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Moshing is incredibly stupid.

I'm going to CreationFest East and I hope I don't get caught in a mosh...situation.

In fact, I think I'll sharpen my retractable claws for that. \:D/
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

I think moshing and crowd surfing are very retarded. And, with the exception of one guy who didn't know what it was, and one who didn't give a definitive answer, it appears I'm they only guy who does. :anxious:

I like to jump at concerts, not hit people.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I don't even GO to concerts-- I'm super sensitive to loud noises, and I can barely stand my church service! The last 'concert' I went to was a Christian Celtic performance on St. Patrick's Day, and before that it had been a good three or four years before I went to any kind of concert.
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

I do not mosh at concerts. I have been in the pit once, though, when my friends and I were trying to "rescue" someone who shouldn't have been in the middle of that. I came away pretty bruised.

If people want to do it and not bother others, I have no problem. It's their dime being wasted.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Iverkid wrote:You gotta admit that moshing is fun.

Iverkid
Ummm...no!

Although in all fairness, I have seen a few moshpits where people were not totally rude and would stop if someone fell so they didn't get trampled. People were not like that at the concert the other day though....

I admit crowd surfing looks fun though, but after seeing how the girls were groped, I would never do that. People also got dropped alot and I think it's really rude to the people in front who have no idea that you are coming until you kick them in the head.....
Continental Admiral wrote:Jessicado, you have an amusing way of telling stories even when they probably aren't supposed to be funny... Like this one. I was amused... \:D/
Thanks! :)
Fenix
The Rich

Post by Fenix »

I've been to many shows where theres dancing, well some form of it. The large majority of people have respect for one another so there isn't any moshing. The worst thing that has happened to me was get burnt by someone elses cigarette.

I m sorry to hear about your night. Sounded dreadful.
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

Larry The Pickle wrote:I think moshing and crowd surfing are very retarded. And, with the exception of one guy who didn't know what it was, and one who didn't give a definitive answer, it appears I'm they only guy who does. :anxious:

I like to jump at concerts, not hit people.
I agree,... moshing is retarded, at least the style that Jessicado got mixed up with :(
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:27 AM): That long?!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:31 AM): IT WAS EONS AGO!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:33 AM): *falls over*
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:46 AM): I've already fallen over and died :noway:
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:47 AM): I beat you. :neener:
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I saw some kid get knocked out in a mosh pit once! \:D/
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Shad Lexer wrote:I saw some kid get knocked out in a mosh pit once! \:D/
Uh...Fun! \:D/