Blood and Gore

so, I was inspired

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

well? does blood repulse you or not (no pun intended)

Yes
41%
No, it's really cool...
59%

Total votes: 17

gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

*shurgs* working in health care you get use to a lot of things......blood, vomit, other "bodily functions".....none of it bothers me at all. Dispite the major protests from friends I can watch things like "Trauma: Life in the ER" and see some of the bloodiest cases they've had while eating like there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.......at one point I had to start eating in my room if I was going to watch that show because my friends wanted nothing less than to start getting sick to their stomach......even if they weren't eating. I can also talk about it (again, while eating) with other healthcare worker friends......it can be really annoying to the people who aren't around it......but I guess you get really immune to it.

I've had situations (one this summer) where I was at the scene of an accident. I've had training in BLS (Basic Life Suppor) and ACLS (advanced cardiac life support) as well as First Aid / CPR......so often times I'll jump in and start assisting until paramedics arrive. Again, since I've been raised around it and worked around it, it barely phases me (and not until after the paramedics come and I'm not "in charge" in any way).

One instance when I was like 19 or 20, I was working with a company where I was out all day selling meat off trucks......and saw a motorcycle vs car accident.......yes, there was a LOT of blood. My co-driver (who was barely 18) looked like he was going to get sick, so even though there were houses slightly closer, I sent him to a house nearly out of sight (we were in the country) to call 9-1-1. (it was "safe" to do so cuz while there was blood and broken bones, there was no life at stake.......the people would live the few extra minutes it took my co-driver to go down the street).

But yeah, it doesn't bother me. I don't think "Oh, cool!!! Blood!!!", but it doesn't make me anywhere near sick either.

*goes off to eat spaghetti now*

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

Interesting.

Lord Sesshoumaru
Country Girl
Classic

Post by Country Girl »

K.. one of the only things I CAN'T handle.. is snot... that's just gross.. disgusting and sick...
you want to see me turn green? just gross me out with snot.....

*goes away barfing*
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Right? Yeah, so anyway.

I don't get grossed out by blood.

And it could possibly be the movie Gods & Generals. \:D/

Yours Truely,
Odyssey Bank Teller,
-Cowboy of Texas
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Brian wrote:Yeah... I was thinking of The Patriot, too... maybe she meant Revolutionary War, not Civil War... :-k

(or, she knows exactly what she is talking about, and there is a Civil War movie we haven't seen...)
No, she was talking about the opening scene of Glory

To answer the question, it doesn't bother me. I was fascinated by them putting in IV in me at the hospital, for example. I'm not a big fan of bloody movies though. In fact, the only time it did bother me was when I split my forehead open by running into a pillar, and even with my hands covering the wound the blood was still spilling out.

-Jonathan
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Jonathan wrote:
Brian wrote:Yeah... I was thinking of The Patriot, too... maybe she meant Revolutionary War, not Civil War... :-k

(or, she knows exactly what she is talking about, and there is a Civil War movie we haven't seen...)
No, she was talking about the opening scene of Glory

To answer the question, it doesn't bother me. I was fascinated by them putting in IV in me at the hospital, for example. I'm not a big fan of bloody movies though. In fact, the only time it did bother me was when I split my forehead open by running into a pillar, and even with my hands covering the wound the blood was still spilling out.

-Jonathan
Yeah, the only time to panic is when the blood won't stop. (And even then it is a good thing not to panic.) I remember a couple of years ago I had this ingrown toe-nail. Well, I taking out the garbage one dark night and it accidently dropped the trashcan on my toe. (I was wearing sandels at the time.) It was quite painful, I cried, I had never been in so much pain in my life. (Well, not that I could remember.) It started bleeding and wouldn't stop. I was out in front of our house and I was trying to decide which way would be the fastest to get back inside. Well, I don't remember what happened next, but that it bled a lot.

Yours Thinking he had Better go Take out the Garbage,
Odyssey Bank Teller,
-Cowboy of Texas
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Well, like a tablespoon isn't much...but...well, Frank is too sheltered to see all them horror bloody flicks, oooh, but those Defensive Driver Awareness ones are pretty disturbing. Prolly the worst I've seen is from The Passion of the Christ...I guess that's pretty gory and stuff. Awful though. And you can't really say "Ooo, blood!" to that movie either. Yeah, so if it's a cut on me...fine, whatever...I'd rush to help someone else, and my kind, Florence Nightingale spirit shall eclipse all my queasiness with blood and all that, naturally. :D
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

I'm not phased in the slightest bit by blood, mine or somebody elses. :-
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Jonathan wrote:To answer the question, it doesn't bother me. I was fascinated by them putting in IV in me at the hospital, for example.
What is wrong with you?! ;) I'm terrified of having IVs. Last time they put one in me, it took four nurses, and five different holes in my arm\hand before they got the right hole. Needles terrify me.
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

Continental Admiral wrote:
Jonathan wrote:To answer the question, it doesn't bother me. I was fascinated by them putting in IV in me at the hospital, for example.
What is wrong with you?! ;) I'm terrified of having IVs. Last time they put one in me, it took four nurses, and five different holes in my arm\hand before they got the right hole. Needles terrify me.
I have no problem with IVs or needles......I laugh when the nurse will tell me to look away when they're about to stick me.......one, doesn't matter if I look or not, I'm not going to feel the needle unless they screw up.......two, I want to watch cuz I have had needles in my veins (for IVs, blood draws, and plasma donations) enough that I have a generally good idea where they have to be sticking to get the needle in properly, and I want to make sure they're sticking in the right place before they poke me.

Peace Out

-Gimp

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I prefer to look when they give shots... it hurts if I don't know when it's coming, but if I do, I'm just fine. I LOVE needles. They're awesome. I had an allergy blood test last year, and it was the most awesome thing in the world to watch those little vials fill up with blood.
Country Girl wrote:K.. one of the only things I CAN'T handle.. is snot... that's just gross.. disgusting and sick...

*goes away barfing*
And that is the way to gross me out... barfing. Anytime something throws up (or thinks they're going to throw up), I start shaking and my blood pressure must hit the roof.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

Mandy Straussberg wrote:
Country Girl wrote:K.. one of the only things I CAN'T handle.. is snot... that's just gross.. disgusting and sick...

*goes away barfing*
And that is the way to gross me out... barfing. Anytime something throws up (or thinks they're going to throw up), I start shaking and my blood pressure must hit the roof.

Mandy
And again, because of my work.....vomiting, hacking (when people are coughing up junk from their lungs), snot, I'm fine with it.......drool....I prefer not to touch it or be around it, but in health care, you're wearing (or suppose to be wearing) gloves anyway, so it's not problem. And while I prefer not to be around it, it doesn't like gross me out or anything.

I made best friends with staff when I was in a youth transitional living place temporarily while I got on my feet a few years ago.......we had this kid who had been out drinking too much and came back throwing up......the staff (even the guys) were not handling the idea of cleaning it up very well......seeing as I was use to it, I volunteered.....and since (to them) it was such a "nasty" job, I got like two weeks free of chores in exchange :D

Peace Out

-Gimp

Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

What is wrong with you?!
That was my Dad's reaction as well. But hey, it helped preoccupy my mind so I didn't have to think about why I was there.

-Jonathan
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

gimp80995 wrote:two, I want to watch cuz I have had needles in my veins (for IVs, blood draws, and plasma donations) enough that I have a generally good idea where they have to be sticking to get the needle in properly, and I want to make sure they're sticking in the right place before they poke me.
Ack. I have veins that are quite hard to find. They were threatening to use my foot or the back of my knee last time they tried finding a vein. I guess after being poked so many times in places, and after having a needle prod you to the point of nearly squealing from the pain (They hit something which evidently wasn't supposed to be hit in my hand), it doesn't make a longing for needles come about. ;)

You people scare me. :(
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Ah. Needles I do have a problem with. When I have surgery next week they're going to put me under using an IV. I'm freaking out already. :anxious:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Once when I was donating plasma, the nurse girl couldn't hit my vein right, and kept poking me in the wrong place... so I grabbed the needle with my other hand and did it myself! \:D/

They told me you aren't supposed to do that, though. :(
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

gimp80995 wrote:two, I want to watch cuz I have had needles in my veins (for IVs, blood draws, and plasma donations) enough that I have a generally good idea where they have to be sticking to get the needle in properly, and I want to make sure they're sticking in the right place before they poke me.
Ack. I have veins that are quite hard to find. They were threatening to use my foot or the back of my knee last time they tried finding a vein. I guess after being poked so many times in places, and after having a needle prod you to the point of nearly squealing from the pain (They hit something which evidently wasn't supposed to be hit in my hand), it doesn't make a longing for needles come about. ;)

You people scare me. :(
IVs in the feet aren't that bad unless you get some idiot who tries using the same size needle in your foot that they would in your arm :roll:
Brian wrote:so I grabbed the needle with my other hand and did it myself! \:D/
I've threatened to do that :) that was before I knew my body make-up and before I knew that it took a "special" person to be able to find a vein in my left arm.......TWO people have succeeded.......out of hundreds of needle sticks.......fortunately most docs / nurses listen to me when I tell them how difficult it is.......some, however insist that they know my body better than I do, and that they can find a vein anywhere..... :roll:

Because of the times I have been stuck in the wrong place countless times (in one visit) I now inform anyone with a needle that they have ONE chance to find the vein......they screw up, they're not trying again.......I mean it doesn't hurt me (I have an incredibly high tollerance level for pain), but it gets annoying to have my arms covered in burises from mis-placed needle sticks.

Peace Out

-Gimp

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Exactly, plus I assume your places are the same as mine... they won't let you donate if you're bruised up.
Country Girl
Classic

Post by Country Girl »

Uhg... I loath being poked by iv needles....
my veins are such that they scream and dissapear when any needle comes close to them.... I have to do jumping jacks and stuff, and finally last time I put my hand WAY below my heart.. and the blood gathered there, so it was alot easier.. which was really nice
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Blood and Al Gore? :anxious:

J/K!
I don't mind blood and gore too much.
...I hate marquees.