Inside Out 2

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Inside Out 2

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, looks cute! The first one was really good. I haven't seen it in a long time so I'll have to rewatch before the sequel is out.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I keep seeing lots of little ads while I watch playoff hockey - I guess the marketing is related to her playing hockey in the movie? Fun choice. There isn't enough hockey in movies.

The sar-chasm got me to laugh! Looking forward to this one. :D
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

My last couple of posts in this forum were just me ranting, so I thought I'd pop in to remind everyone, as much as I enjoy roasting a film, I am capable of liking things! I loved Inside Out 2. I saw it with most of my siblings on opening day and we all enjoyed it. It's funny, imaginative, emotional, it was everything I wanted it to be. Honestly, for me at least, it was a *stressful* movie, Riley is so young and her inner self goes through *so much* in this movie. But of course, that's what a good film does, it convinces you to be invested before you even realize it. The story introduces a new, central plot device early on, a new feature of Riley's mind, that is so clever and beautiful. Not every joke landed for me, there were definitely a number of jokes I can't even remember now because they just did nothing for me. But there's a scene in a vault in particular where the writers are really going for it with the humor and it did make me laugh. As for the characters, Riley plays a much bigger role this time around, and we get to know her better. All the emotions are in character. As for the new emotions (I won't put the fact that there are new emotions in a spoiler because they are so thoroughly spoiled now by the trailers and posters) they are quite entertaining, likable, and funny. The voices of the new emotions were all solid performances. I loved the original voice actors of the original five emotions, and most of them come back to reprise their roles, but the new voices of Disgust and Fear do well. In particular, I am a fan of Tony Hale, and his voice is very similar to the original while bringing just enough freshness to it. The musical score, as with most Pixar films, is great. It felt big but at the same time cute and intimate, much like the rest of the film.

Do I have criticisms? Sure. Notably, I felt the world-building wasn't always *as* strong, thought out, and clever as the first movie. For instance, there's a bit where there's a kind of an earthquake in Riley's head, creating a chasm in Riley's mind, and the payoff is just a silly gag. The gag is very funny, but there's no real reason for a chasm to be opening in Riley's mind, so that felt forced.

The trailers weren't great, so if you have those in your head and they didn't do much for you, just know that Pixar didn't give everything away in the teaser or the trailer, they really are holding a lot back, (which I can appreciate) and I suggest you give the film a try! It moves along at a brisk pace, the ending is one of Pixar's best, all the technical aspects, from the animation to the sound design, is of course perfect, and the film is just a good time. I laughed, I cried, it moved me, Bob.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I loved it too, Pound Foolish! I agree that Tony Hale was great. I laughed quite a bit, which is great for a kids movie about emotions. ;) I told someone that I laughed a lot and she told me other people told her they cried, so hopefully I only laughed the right amount? ;) There were some sweet and emotional moments, but no tears here. Embarrassment was a great new character! :inlove:

I would say that it has a wide age appeal, in case anyone is deciding whether to go or not. I highly recommend it for the whole family! :yes: