What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm not familiar with that author either, Laurie. Let us know if you enjoy the book!

I just started "Death Comes to Pemberly" by P.D. James. I haven't read anything by her before, but I love "Pride and Prejudice" and I watched the BBC miniseries based on the book, so I thought I would give the actual book a try. I've read all of ten pages so far, but the style works really nicely and I think I'm really going to enjoy it. :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:I'm not familiar with that author either, Laurie. Let us know if you enjoy the book!

I just started "Death Comes to Pemberly" by P.D. James. I haven't read anything by her before, but I love "Pride and Prejudice" and I watched the BBC miniseries based on the book, so I thought I would give the actual book a try. I've read all of ten pages so far, but the style works really nicely and I think I'm really going to enjoy it. :D
It is very good so far. Since it is -4° (with a feels like of -26°) here today, reading is going to be my main activity. Let us know how you like Death Comes to Pemberly. I love P & P as well and am curious about that book as I have never read P.D. James either.
Last edited by Laurie on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I was reading the Maze Runner, I started and finished it yesterday. I am now waiting for the Scorch Trial to arrive from the library.
Last edited by Jehoshaphat on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Well by Stephanie Landsem, it was excellent. I've now started A Place in His Heart by Rebecca DeMarino. It is the first book in her The Southold Chronicles trilogy/series.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Tikvah
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Tikvah »

Right now I'm reading Ivanhoe for the third time. It's pretty good, as far as classics go.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished A Place in His Heart, I loved it!! Up next for me is Spy of Richmond by Jocelyn Green. It is the fourth book in her Heroines Behind the Lines series. I have been waiting for this one since I first saw it online.
Last edited by Laurie on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I'm not familiar with that author either, Laurie. Let us know if you enjoy the book!

It is very good so far. Since it is -4° (with a feels like of -26°) here today, reading is going to be my main activity. Let us know how you like Death Comes to Pemberly. I love P & P as well and am curious about that book as I have never read P.D. James either.
Sounds good! I might have to look into it. I'm about two thirds of the way through "Death Comes to Pemberly" (I've been reading it slowly for some reason) and I have really enjoyed it so far. It feels like a good fit with Jane Austen's creation. She chooses paths for different characters that seem plausible. There hasn't been a moment yet where I thought that it seemed totally "off," like it could never, ever happen. There are some differences from the BBC miniseries, but nothing really significant when it comes to the basic plot. It's just better to get all the details in a book, where locations and finances make no difference to where the scene takes and which characters are all present!

I'm reading "The Return to Dragon Island" by Rebecca Rupp. It is probably aimed more at the 8-12-year-old crowd, but I'm reading it with an 12-year-old, so I get to enjoy a great story guilt free. \:D/ It's the sequel to "The Dragon of Lonely Island," which I mentioned that I was reading a few weeks ago. I would definitely recommend these books. Older readers will find some aspects more juvenile (like the older siblings explaining what some big words mean to their younger sibling) but the stories themselves are very nicely told and incorporate historical elements (the dragon tells the children stories from his past) and themes about discernment and kindness and other subtly (for a kids book) incorporated moral lessons.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Spy of Richmond by Jocelyn Green, excellent. Up next for me is Steadfast Brides by Tracie Peterson. It is the first book in her Brides of Seattle trilogy/series.
InsanityPerk
Lurker

Post by InsanityPerk »

Currently I am reading Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne, which is fantastic, though slightly one sided in the overall content. I am also working through a book on Christian discipleship recommended by my campus minister.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I started "Like a Flower in Bloom" by Siri Mitchell today, and I'm loving it! I wish that I hadn't taken a couple of months to finally decide to read it (not for lack of interest, but I was reading other books) because it is a ton of fun so far. A friend had told me how much she enjoyed it, and we often like the same stuff, so I went in expecting to really like it, but II didn't know quite what to expect beyond that.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I just finished "The Great Divorce." It was absolutely fantastic. It's given me so many things to think about.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Steadfast Heart by Tracie Peterson, it was excellent. I have now started A Hopeful Heart by Amy Clipston, it is the first book in her Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel series, very good so far.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I'm on the second-to-last chapter of Ender's Game. I seriously love this book. It's well plotted and well paced. I just wish it didn't have so much language...
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished A Hopeful Heart by Amy Clipston, excellent. Another new author to add to my very long list of favorites. I am now reading Snow Globe by Laura V. Hilton. It is the first book in her The Amish of Jamesport trilogy/series, excellent so far. Ms. Hilton will be added to my favorites list as well.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I love finding great new authors! That just happened to me today. I'm about two thirds of the way through "Brentwood's Ward" by Michelle Griep. It had been recommended to me, and it is really interesting and very well written so far. It takes place in London in the early 1800s and has a great blend of wonderful characters and just enough historical detail to make it obvious that detailed research was done, but not so much as to drag down the story. I would definitely recommend it! The author has a few older books that I hadn't ever seen anywhere before, but I will definitely be looking for them now!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Snow Globe last night. I loved it!! Laura Hilton has been added to my long, long list of favorite authors. While on my bookstore run yesterday I picked up the new Beverly Lewis book The Love Letters and started reading it after I finished the Hilton book. It is excellent so far.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I started reading "Born of Persuasion" by Jessica Dotta. It was recommended to me, and it's really interesting so far! I've only read the first five or so chapters, and I really have no idea where things are going, but it should be a great read!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:I started reading "Born of Persuasion" by Jessica Dotta. It was recommended to me, and it's really interesting so far! I've only read the first five or so chapters, and I really have no idea where things are going, but it should be a great read!
Born of Persuasion is an excellent read Catspaw. I finished The Love Letters by Beverly Lewis yesterday. It was excellent. I read it in three days. I have now started The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn by Lori Benton. Very good so far.
Last edited by Laurie on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I started reading "Born of Persuasion" by Jessica Dotta. It was recommended to me, and it's really interesting so far! I've only read the first five or so chapters, and I really have no idea where things are going, but it should be a great read!
Born of Persuasion is an excellent read Catspaw.
You're right, Laurie! It really grabbed my attention, and I realized about halfway through that I wasn't going to get answers by the end of the book, which made me really glad that I already had the whole series. I can't imagine reading the first one and then having to wait! :mad: I'm already halfway through the second book in the series, "Mark of Distinction." I have rarely read a book/series where I really don't have solid predictions for what will happen. Sometimes I don't know know things will happen, but I can guess at the general gist of things, but Jessica Dotta apparently isn't the kind of author who writes that way! It's both good and bad, since I can hardly put my book down!
Lark
I've been here a bit

Post by Lark »

Anyone read any books by Marissa Meyer? I just finished the second book of the Lunar chronicles! :read: