2014 Winter Olympics

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It still isn't a real Russian medal.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

This is really all just semantics, imho, but I would argue that his medal is indeed a "real" Russian medal. He changed his name and citizenship after he was no longer welcome to compete for South Korea, and although he may not be Russian by blood, I don't see why his medal should not be considered a "real" medal for Russia if he has adopted and embraced their culture. He didn't just wake up one morning and decide to go skate for Russia on a whim; that would indeed be ridiculous, but I don't think his decision was made flippantly.

Anyway, I would also like to point out that "YOLO Flip" is the best name EVER for a crazy half-pipe trick. \:D/
Last edited by Aeva on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Aeva wrote:I don't see why his medal should not be considered a "real" medal for Russia if he has adopted and embraced their culture.
... Because he's not Russian. He became a Russian citizen, but that's not the same thing.

This is the first medal for Russia, but a Russian still hasn't won one.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

bookworm wrote:
Aeva wrote:I don't see why his medal should not be considered a "real" medal for Russia if he has adopted and embraced their culture.
... Because he's not Russian. He became a Russian citizen, but that's not the same thing.

This is the first medal for Russia, but a Russian still hasn't won one.
I understand what you're saying. I just disagree in that I think he is Russian, not by blood obviously, but by choice. (For the record, I believe nationality is, at it's heart, a choice. I grew up here in the United States and choose to identify as a patriotic American, and I often choose to identify with my Italian heritage as well. However, I could just as easily choose to move to France, change my name, and adopt French culture, in which case I would choose to identify as French. The only exception I make to this is that I believe you have to be born Jewish because the Jews are God's specially chosen people.)
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don’t entirely disagree. You could validly say he is Russian now in that sense, but that’s still entirely different than having a Russian born athlete win.

-- 13 Feb 2014 12:42 pm --

Another shocking upset as Shani Davis doesn’t medal in speed skating.

Absolutely amazing end to downhill skiing with the first tie for gold!

-- 14 Feb 2014 02:34 pm --

I like the new luge relay event, it’s exciting.

Germany absolutely dominates everything luge, taking gold in every event: men’s and women’s singles, doubles, and the team relay!
The luge events have had gold sweeps only three other times, and amazingly it was Germany that did it each time!

Katie Uhlaender has the greatest helmet: a bald eagle head on the crown and a Captain America style star on the chin.

Plushenko stuns the world by withdrawing from competition at literally the last second before he was to skate after aggravating his injuries during warm up, moving his retirement up from after the Games to effective immediately.
It’s such a shame. I’ve been a fan of his since I first saw him skate years ago, I believe probably in the Torino Olympics, and it’s disappointing he couldn’t finish his career here at home with a full performance. At least he was able to skate in the team competition and medal there.

Drama continued on the ice as Jeremy Abbott begins his program with the hardest fall I’ve ever seen a figure skater take, but somehow gets up and continues on, not only completing his program but doing the rest flawlessly.

Team USA sweeps the podium in the first ever running of men’s ski slopestyle! \:D/

The first score of 100+ is recorded in the ice skating short program!
Now it’s an even bigger shame Plushenko couldn’t skate; I would have loved to see that showdown.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

bookworm wrote:I don’t entirely disagree. You could validly say he is Russian now in that sense, but that’s still entirely different than having a Russian born athlete win.
Fair enough. \:D/

Now I have to mention the big win.... Davis and White are GOLD, baby! (Sorry, my dear Canadians. :- )

Those Jamaican bobsledders were the coolest athletes ever. \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Amazing finish in speed skating with the gold being decided by three thousandths of a second!

Meanwhile, Team USA’s shocking underperformance is blamed on their new suits so they change mid-Games, but it doesn’t appear to make a difference.

It’s not just Viktor Ahn. ‘Russia’ gets two more short track medals, another from Ahn and now one from Vladimir Grigorev who is a two time Olympian for Ukraine but now, like Ahn, skating for Russia. You can talk about how, from the side of the athletes, they probably have pure intentions, but you can’t tell me from Russia’s side it’s not about getting medals. They were desperate to finally win in this sport, knew their current Russian born skaters couldn’t, and so went out and recruited other nations’ skaters who could.

-- 19 Feb 2014 06:19 pm --

I’m upset with the feature they did on Lindsey Jacobellis during snowboardcross. (If you don’t remember, she had a huge lead in the Torino Games, the gold medal was locked away, then she shocked everyone by falling on the landing of the second to last jump coming to the finish.)
They made it look like it was a shocking fluke that robbed her of the gold. That’s not what happened at all! It was shocking, but it wasn’t a random mishap - she asked for that fall! She wasn’t content to just take the win by the huge margin she had, she got cocky and tried to show off by doing a trick off the jump and that’s what caused the fall and cost her the gold. It was her fault, not a freak fall.
I can’t believe they would misrepresent the incident like that. That moment is one of my defining Olympic memories. I don’t remember much from Tornio (or anything else that long ago for that matter) but I will never forget watching that fall in disbelief and the equal level of disbelief in the commentator’s voice as he exclaimed “She went down on a showboat trick!”

I used to just hate ice dancing. I didn’t get it, I couldn’t stand it. But these Games I’ve found that I’ve actually really enjoyed watching it.

Absolutely unbelievable series of events in the men’s Super-G! Bode Miller barely dodges competitor after competitor with skiiers finishing, in order, two hundredths, seven hundredths, and nine hundredths behind his time, then a skiier that surely would have beat him shockingly goes off the course coming around a turn! Two skiiers later someone finally beats him, but then the next one ties him! The last skiier is another American who no one thought would really be in the running, but he gets the second place time so Miller shares bronze! I’ve never seen anything like it!

I don’t understand why when there’s a tie for gold they only give out two golds and a bronze, skipping silver, but when there’s a tie for bronze they give out a gold, a silver, and two bronzes.

-- 19 Feb 2014 06:20 pm --

“I’m Bob Costas sitting in for Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira.” :lol: Glad he’s finally back.

The Michael Jackson medley ice dance was one of my favorite things ever!

Davis and White record the highest scores ever for both the short dance and free dance to win Team USA’s first ice dancing gold! \:D/

-- 19 Feb 2014 06:20 pm --

What’s with all three U.S. two woman bobsleds having a Summer Games track athlete? That’s crazy!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Is the result of today's woman's hockey game a spoiler for anybody still? ;) I don't want to be too obnoxious, since the shoe could be on the other foot tomorrow, but wow, what a day! (Picture me jumping up and down cheering while wearing my Olympic Canada hoody from the Vancouver Olympics and my Canadian flag socks.) Gold for Canada versus Sweden in woman's curling (making an 11-0 record through the Olympics for Jennifer Jones and her team) would have made it a great day, but the end of the Canada-US woman's hockey game has ensured a permanent smile on my face today! \:D/ I understand that there are a few others who may feel differently. Maybe tomorrow will be your day (but I really, really hope not.) ;)
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

We actually got this one live. Canada played a really good last three minutes. That first foul on us in overtime was bogus though.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

I'm not a huge hockey fan, I think it's a great sport, but I don't watch it often. But boy, that was an exciting game!
One of the boys in my math class convinced our teacher that we should watch it. We watched the last 5 minutes before overtime and then she said we had to learn. He was streaming it on his tablet and I conveniently sit behind him so I kind of watched the end of the game. It was a great game!

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

We watched the end of the game in my Science class. Good game, despite the ending. Good job to Russia for winnings its first ever Olympic gold in Women's Figure Skating. Also Maddie Bowman won gold in Women's ski halfpipe. I saw some of this but it wasn't interesting compared to snowboard halfpipe.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Extremely disappointing or extremely exciting gold medal game in women’s hockey, depending on your side. Canada was shut out all of regulation but managed to score two goals in the final three minutes to force overtime and ends up winning. So the rematch of the last Games’ final ends the same way and Canada claims a fourth consecutive Olympic gold. I’m happy for them in a way, but in another way I really don’t think they deserved it. You can argue that it was awesome they could play so well in the final minutes, but you could also argue that they should have played that way the rest of the 57 minutes and because they didn’t the ending was more a fluke than a show of superior skill.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

You could say that. Not many people north of the border will agree with you, but you could say that. ;) It's not like the first 56 and a half minutes had the Canadian women just sitting back doing nothing. They had lots of shots and chances, but sometimes bounces go your way and sometimes they don't. When the US hit that goal post on the empty net towards the end of the game...that was a bad break. Both teams played extremely hard all game, and they both have plenty to be proud of. The teams are very well matched, but Canada beat the US the other time they met in this tournament as well, in slightly less dramatic fashion. It's not like this was the only time Canada has ever beat the US womens team. This game definitely could have gone either way, because both teams are so talented, but "fluke" doesn't work for me. A fluke would be if most of the Canadian and American women got the worst flu ever and Switzerland and Sweden got to fight for gold instead of bronze. This win wasn't a fluke. If things happened the other way around the US won dramatically like Canada did, I would have been a lot less happy, but it still wouldn't have been a fluke.

Speaking of hockey and American teams losing by one goal...wow, did we ever have another barnburner today! :mad: I alternated between holding my breath and taking big, deep breaths all through the third period of today's mens Canada vs. US semifinal, I think. ;) That makes it Canada vs. Sweden for the gold and the US vs. Finland for the bronze. I assume that most Americans are praying that Tuuka Rask continues to have the flu for a few more days. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I didn’t mean fluke as if they didn’t deserve it in general, yes it was a hard fought game on both sides, I just meant that this particular moment in time should have gone the other way, since it was literally 200 seconds from doing so. While Canada definitely played hard the whole game, to me they seemed to go to a whole new level in the last three minutes and then in overtime. That’s what I meant they should have played like the whole game, because I definitely sensed a difference at the end.

And yeah, the empty net miss is a huge issue on this side because it would have ensured the ‘right’ outcome, but in all objectivity if it had gone in then it would have been a huge issue on the other side because it was a result of referee interference.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I enjoyed an extra-early start to my day to take in the Canada-Sweden gold medal hockey game this morning! It was worth it. 3-0 Canada fo the gold! \:D/ I was obviously really happy with the outcome, but I was disappointed that Henrik Sedin was injured and had to decline his spot on the Swedish team, since he's one of my favourite players and I would love for him and his twin brother Daniel to have matching silver medals from the game! A last-minute drug testing result that left out Sweden's Nicklas Backstrom was also unfortuante. He's a classy player who took allergy medication, not a performance enhancing doper. Click here if you want to read more about that. That was unfair to him and to Sweden, in my opinion. I still think Canada would have won, but I would have loved to see Sweden get to play with more of the players who really deserved their spot and had external circumstances (injuries/testing) get in the way.

I enjoyed watching Finland win bronze yesterday. Can anybody deny that Teemu Selanne deserves such an epic end to his Olympic presence? 4 Olympics games over his long career, 4 medals, and two game-winning goals in the 2014 tournament, including for the bronze medal yesterday. Not too shabby for a 43-year-old! He's so easy to love. :inlove:

I haven't watched all the of the closing ceremonies yet (it was time to head to church, and I'm going to finish later) but I really laughed at the "glitched" unfolding of the Olympic rings when they had all the people there to form them! That was hilarious. They held the pose for so long that I was starting to wonder if they were actually going to do it properly! It's nice to see that sense of humour.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Two more medals for Viktor Ahn as he has made the podium in every event he skated (not that it was ever in doubt he would) so to recap: Russia goes into these Games with no short track medals of any color ever; they come out with five; yet a skater from Russia still has never won one. (Unless you insist the Russians on the relay team count, but I would counter by insisting that they would not have won had Ahn not been on their team.)

I am happy for Ahn though, he’s an amazing skater. And in a bit of poetic justice, the South Korean men leave the games with no speed skating medals.

In the very last speed skating event held Team USA finally finds the podium. This is their single medal of these Games of any color in either long or short track in either gender. This is beyond shocking; it’s unthinkable. What in the world happened here?

-- 23 Feb 2014 04:00 pm --

What a crazy slalom, I’ve never seen so many people go out in one event!
Agent 86
0x Moderator 0x Admin
0x Moderator 0x Admin

Post by Agent 86 »

Image Image Image Image Image

It's the Olympic results!
*dramatic pause*

In first place we have......
Russia! With 13 Image 11 Image and 9Image For a total of.. 33 medals!
In second we have.......
Norway! With 11 Image 5 Image and 10 Image For a total of.. 26 medals!
And third goes to......
Canada! With 10 Image 10 Image and 5 Image For a total of.. 25 medals!
Other places:
4th Place: The USA! With 9 Image 7 Image and 12 Image For a total of.. 28 medals!
5th Place: The Netherlands! With 8Image 7 Image and 9 Image For a total of.. 24 medals!
6th Place: Germany! With 8 Image 6 Image and 5Image For a total of.. 19 medals!
7th Place: Switzerland! With 6 Image 3 Image and 2 Image For a total of.. 11 medals!
Image Image Image Image Image
^AIOluver^

Who am I? I'd rather not answer that question, the real question is, "Who are you?". Right now I am trying to think of something witty to put here.. I might not find anything, but that's fine. This block of text should be fine for a signature. Wait, are you still reading this? Why are you reading this? Stop. Seriously.
STOP.
This sentence is true.
The sentence above is false.

I dare you not to read this.
Hey! I said not to read this.
Maybe if I talk like this.
Wait, you still see me? *sighs* I give up.

http://blackgaardscastle.forumotion.com/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This was a good opening ceremony, but London’s is still my favorite.

The map projection during the parade of nations was very cool.

This was quite a feat of production. All the suspended contraptions were incredible and the way the people interacted with the floor projection was amazing.

I love that the whole world got trololo’d.

I really liked the light up strand things the dancers spun around in for the dove of peace, it was a very neat visual.

What’s awesome though is that on the Russian broadcast when the fifth ring didn’t open they cut to rehearsal footage where it worked so no one would know there was a problem. :P

This was my favorite closing ceremony. (Though Batman and Robin randomly jumping out of that exploded car in London was pretty hard to top. :P )

The intentional ring glitch was the greatest thing ever! :hilarious: Well done!

The giant mascots were absolutely incredible. I don’t know why everyone says they’re super creepy, I thought they were super cute. And just from an engineering standpoint it’s amazing how they move like that.

This was the best cauldron extinguishing I’ve seen, so simple yet profound. When the tiger had no nudge the bear because it didn’t want to blow it out, it gave me chills because that’s how I feel every time. The extinguishing of the cauldron always makes me sad. It was such a great little touch to add to show the emotion of what all this means. And then of course the tear, a throwback to the Moscow Games closing ceremony, showing that these aren’t separate events, it’s all one ongoing Olympic legacy.