Dialect Quiz

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Limerick
OK

Dialect Quiz

Post by Limerick »

I was kind of wondering what people thought of this and if it was as eerily accurate for everyone else as for me.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013 ... z-map.html

Many of these I was familiar with, but, not as much as others. And some things, I seemed way in left field with. Lightning bug, rotary, is 18-wheeler really so strange?

Also, it changes each time, sooooo...

So fascinating :)
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Dude, 18-wheeler? Yes, I'm sorry to inform you, but that is strange. Semi-trucks, man. =P

Oh, and for the record, I'd never seen a roundabout called anything but that before taking the quiz; and I don't think I've ever seen the word rotary before. xD

This was actually pretty interesting. I didn't realize that it changes every time until I read your comments, Limer. So I'm going back to take it again. The first time it put me in the general Midwest area, so I'd say it's pretty accurate.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Either Oklahoma or Massachusetts for me.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Limerick
OK

Post by Limerick »

Really, roundabout is generally a British term, Rotary traditionally American xD I don't really call it either haha.

Not many around where I live :p

And semi-truck seems so weird, tractor trailer or 18 wheeler or just truck xD
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

It looks like I belong in the Northeast. :P
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Both of the times I've done it I only got western states. And since that's the half of the country I haven't lived in... weird.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I got the three closest large cities to me, so to was actually pretty accurate. I've lived here practically since I could talk :yes:

Rotary??? I can't imagine them being called anything other than roundabout, or maybe traffic circle. Same with an 18 wheeler. That just sounds strange to me. It's a semi truck ;)
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I got Seattle... I guess that makes sense since it's NW USA and I live in SW Canada. We call them traffic circles and semis here.
Metal15
Tallying up

Post by Metal15 »

One of the cities that was most relevant was Portland OR. which is where I live. XD
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

Interesting quiz, Limerick. It says I should live in Philadelphia or Baltimore O_o
I guess Philly kind of makes sense, because I picked up some of my dialect from my Dad who grew up near there.
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
Doll
Found

Post by Doll »

I did the quiz twice, and both times, it got Michigan as one of the answers. I live in CO...but I have noticed that I do use a lot of MI slang, since my mother is from MI.
IT'S BELLE/DOLL/GG - I'M BAAAAAAACCCKK!
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I got the Midwest, which is good because I live in Indiana. All it would have had to do to get me exactly was ask how I pronounce words like going, running, and other -ing words because we say gonin', runnin', etc. I know it seems weird but I do it naturally without thinking. This is why when we went to Maine, a person immediately asked us if we were from Indiana. Not the Midwest - Indiana.

I was least like the East Coast (specifically New York), which makes sense. No offense to any East Coaster's but I don't like the way they pronounce water.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I got Rochester, Buffalo, and Grand Rapids. Rochester is where I live, and Buffalo is right next to me. There were a few questions I know I differ from the regional pronunciation, like around here "cot" and "caught" are supposed to sound different, but I say them the same. Also, I say big-rig, tractor-trailer, semi-truck, and sometimes 18-wheeler all interchangeably, but I chose tractor-trailer, I think. It said I got Grand Rapids and Buffalo cause I call it pop, though that is also true for Rochester. Just a county to the east of here and it's called soda.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Interesting quiz.
One of my results was where I live. :)
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

This was interesting. One result got my at Long Beach, California (which is across the country for me). =p But when I took it again I got the capital of my state.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

My three most similar cities are Yonkers, Newark, and New York City, which is interesting because I was born in New York, but I actually grew up here in the South. (We moved down when I was three years old.) My father's family is Italian, however, so I guess I retained my dialect from growing up around them.

My particular trigger word was "sneakers"; I've never heard another word used to reference athletic/gym shoes. For the record, I almost always say "tractor-trailer," "traffic circle," and "soda." I also talk very quickly, which could be why people sometimes ask me where I'm from lol.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I got three cities in Southern California, which is where both my parents are from. Colorado, where I live now, doesn't seem to have much of a unique dialect. I selected the "I don't have a term for that" option quite a bit.
Last edited by ric on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

My influences are NYC (because I've grown up there), Nova Scotia, Canada (from my grandma) and South Carolina (because one of my early church that was full of people from that state. Accourding to this test my great infuences are NYC, Arlington and Durham. I wish this test included Canada.

I know my use of "y'all" is unusual for a NYCer. Who doesn't say lawyer the first syllable rhyming with flaw? Don't drive through liqueur stores sound like a bad idea to anybody? I remember asking mommy what tennis shoes were when I was 7 because I only knew them as sneakers. A rummage sale in NYC is called a stoop sale by natives but it wasn't an option so I selected tag sale since that is what most transplants call it and is my second most used term. I knew every word for truck because I listen to country music but I still call it a truck.

It was a cool test. During the test, my map mostly stayed blue.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

I evidently talk like a southerner with a northwest accent
Edit: did it again now I got that my cities are Spokane Boise and Salt Lake City. Oddly enough I have been to all of those within the last year. Least similar are New York Jackson and Baton Rouge.
Last edited by E II on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am confused
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I did the quiz just for fun, and I got Rockford, Grand Rapids, and Buffalo. They are all more northern cities, which I guess works, since I am a Canadian. I have never actually been to any of the three cities that came up. Apparently my use of the word "kitty-corner" was instrumental in bringing me those results. :-k It must be my Catspaw side making itself known. ;) It was neat to see all the different options, since some of them looked very odd to me, but I assume that they are there because some people use them, and somebody else is thinking the same thing about the choices I made! ;)