The Hobbit: That Christopher Tolkien Did Not Like

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Even though it will stink, I will still pay money to see Orlando Bloom's face on the big screen.
*insert provocative quote here*
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Termite wrote:Even if it does stink, I will still pay money to hear Benedict Cumberbatch speak.
Pretty much this.

not to mention a few other awesome actors in the movie \:D/

and to see the commercials that precede it; that's always fun

Till the end of the line.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

So I just purchased and watched the extended edition, and may I just say....

Dwarves + Rivendell = :hilarious:
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I found out that I’m going to get to see this at a private showing! \:D/
One of my cousins gets to hold an invite-only show as a reward for a fundraiser the theater did a while ago and she picked this movie.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Do you get to see it before the premiere date?! \:D/
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don’t. That would be the only thing that would make it cooler.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Still, a private showing is really exciting ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yes it is! \:D/
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

So I went to the premiere, and I'm still digesting what I just witnessed. O.O Since it's now 4am, I'm just going to give a minimalist review, but I intend to go in-depth at some point.

Let me preface everything by saying that, if you cannot suspend all your previous notions of The Hobbit, don't even bother paying money to see it, because you will be disappointed.

The good points: the sensation of Mirkwood, the spiders, Thranduil, Legolas, Smaug, Bilbo.

The bad points: Tauriel and an unfortunate storyline.

She is tolerable up until one scene which is simply unforgivable, I'm sorry to say. (This scene is the climax of a storyline that demonstrated a shocking lack of judgement by Peter Jackson.)
Last edited by Aeva on Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Watched the first movie for the third time to prepare for part two. I wanted to see the extended edition this time, but haven’t been able to acquire it yet, so it was just the theater version. It will suffice though.

Only a few thoughts worth noting, since I’ve already posted about the movie twice.

I’ve pretty much accepted the Azog addition, so I wasn’t bothered by it this time through, but I did have a new feeling about it. Instead of being upset, I was confused. I used to be so ‘Come on, why did they do that?’ that I didn’t actually think ‘Really, why did they do that?’ And this doesn’t just go for this movie, it’s for any book adaptation that decides to change or add something so extremely not in the original material that it fundamentally changes the entire story. Why? This is not the Hobbit anymore. This is not anything anymore. Why would you go through the trouble of making a movie based on a book when it’s not going to actually be based on the book? I don’t get it at all.

And I’ll mention this once more, then suffice it to say that the sentiment goes without saying in any future thoughts on the movie because it’s not going to change. I cannot believe the pinecone fires were all just plain orange. Every time I watch that scene it upsets and saddens me more. I need to look up the explanation for why they did that so I can at least get a reason, and it better be a good one.

I also have to mention that for being so ridiculously long, the movie never felt like it was dragging. Not even once. The whole thing was engaging, and the pace and flow was great. Even the third time through, knowing everything that was going to happen, it did not feel at all like it was as long as it was. Which is amazing.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Well, since it's still fresh and I have nothing to do, I figure I might as well share my extended thoughts. \:D/

Before I retreat to spoiler tags, let me echo what bookworm just said. These films are no longer The Hobbit, and I have acclimated myself to that fact. Peter Jackson has gone far beyond the whimsical children's book and turned this into an epic, very altered adaptation. The Desolation of Smaug is not for book purists.

Anyway, on to the main stuff. I'm going to put all my specific thoughts under spoiler tags so as not to ruin anything for anybody, because there were some wonderful moments in this film.
The opening came straight from one of the appendices, and I thought that was a neat way to begin and give a bit more history.

Beorn's screen time took a big hit sadly, although looking back I can understand why they didn't spend too much time there. The bear CGI was as good as it's going to get, I suppose, but I did like his human form very much. And of course those ponies were beautiful. :inlove:

Mirkwood was everything I had hoped it would be. The hallucinogenic qualities came through splendidly, and I loved the bit when Bilbo finally climbs above the trees. I felt his relief and joy at feeling the sun on his face.

I assumed the spiders' nest would be turned into a larger battle, as it was, but they themselves were excellent. The clicking noises and voices were spot-on, although I'm slightly disappointed that Bilbo didn't sing. At least he did throw some rocks to distract them which was clearly a nod to the book.

And of course, cue the elves who were magnificent. LEGOLAS. :inlove: (I'll get to Tauriel specifically at the end.) I really like the portrayal of Legolas in this film. He is not the same elf that he is in LotR, and I think Orlando Bloom captured that perfectly. He is haughty and cold as no doubt he would have been until his experiences with the Fellowship humanize him. That quick mention of Gimli was beautiful. :') Thranduil was fabulously arrogant as well. They are definitely playing off the fact that Thranduil has seen a lot during his long years, and I think the "more dangerous, less wise" spirit of the Woodland elves came across excellently. (Speaking of Thranduil, that little bit of magic he works on his face to demonstrate the burn marks as he's practically hissing at Thorin was incredible.)

The escape from Mirkwood was obviously very different from the book as well, but that was clear from the trailers. And again, I can understand why they would turn that sneaky escape into a frenetic chase. Bilbo's reaction after he realizes that he doesn't have a barrel was quite priceless though, as was Legolas's dwarf-hopping. xD The dwarves' coordination was pretty awesome too, although that quick sequence with Bombur was kind of ridiculous haha. (I shall address Kili's orc wound at the end as well.)

Bard's role was greatly expanded, but I think that worked out well in the end since he did kind of have a big part to play in the book. I liked his mysterious bearing. Laketown in general was well-done; the Master was perfect as was the debate between Thorin and Bard. (That one unfortunate scene in Laketown will be discussed at the end.) Legolas's duel near the end was awesome.

Erebor was stunningly beautiful, and I truly felt the dwarves' desperation to find the lock. That was quite a moving scene for me. I also appreciate the way Thorin is beginning to succumb to the lust of gold.

And now, we arrive to the main scene for me: the conversation between Bilbo and Smaug. Although it played out slightly differently, they nailed it. Smaug is fantastic, and his voice was perfection. I mean, I knew Benedict Cumberbatch was going to be amazing, but still. He was terrifying and dangerous and yet almost seductive, and his spell-binding power was captured perfectly. Perfect dragon is perfect. :inlove:

The whole scene where he hunts the dwarves through Erebor was quite the high-flying adventure. I didn't expect that, but it wasn't unwelcome either. Thorin's taunting was brilliant.

I loved all of Gandalf's scenes as well, because as I said before, this is no longer Tolkien's masterpiece. They are clearly trying to link these films directly with LotR, and since I have accepted that, I can enjoy the development of the White Council/Necromancer plot line.

And then....

"What have we done?"

THE END. I DID NOT EXPECT THAT AT ALL. When the screen went black, I actually squealed in the theater, and I never do that lol. Holy smokes, I absolutely did not see that coming. (Most of the theater erupted as well, so at least I wasn't alone.)

Oookay, now that I've raved about everything that I loved, I have to talk about what was desperately disappointing.

Tauriel. I was concerned about the invention of this character right from when she was first announced, and unfortunately all my worst fears were realized. :/ If they had simply left her as the kick-butt captain of the guard, I would have been fine with that. I can even tolerate that little scene when Thranduil starts making assumptions about her and Legolas. I didn't mind the pep talk she gave to Legolas nor the help they gave the dwarves at the end of the barrel sequence. Heck, I even thought that scene in the dungeons when she and Kili talk about their lives was kind of cute, and I honestly believed it was going to be left at that. But sadly, no. That scene in Laketown is simply unacceptable. I'm truly astonished that Peter Jackson could have such a lapse in judgement about this storyline, which begins at the end of the escape from Mirkwood. And orc wound for Kili? No problem, I'm cool with some Durin family feels. But a Morgul shaft? Athelas? Seriously? And then that infamous scene in Laketown where Tauriel stays to help happened, and I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. >_> I was already very upset about the company splitting up over this stupid wound, and then Jackson just lost his marbles when he thought it would be a good idea for them to channel Arwen and Frodo. They almost redeemed themselves when Kili started talking because I thought he was talking about his mother (which would have made everything a little more tolerable), and then it just all went sour. Like, you're going to hold hands? I'm going to be sick.
Overall, I loved it. It was a wild ride from start to finish, but it all worked out and drew me right in (except for that one scene of course lol). I will no doubt rave and rant more later, but for now I'm done.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I'm going to see it tonight! \:D/
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

I watched An Unexpected Journey a week ago tonight, and absolutely loved it. I've been saying quoted from the movie throughout the week. Two of my friends just surprised me about an hour ago and told me they're taking me to see it tonight.
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Well, I went to see the movie last night.

I'm going to post my long and cynical rant as soon as I can, but first, I need some time to emotionally recover.

The Desolation of Smaug? Ehh. It's the Desolation of J.R.R. Tolkien's beautiful writing. Yes, I'm going to be the cynical one just like I was last year. And you'll all probably disagree with me. Because I did not like this movie.
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

I know we're all going to say (and I even told one of my friends) that approximately 2% of that movie was based on the book, but I agree with the rest of you that, as its own entity, the movie is high quality and spectacular. I was so amazed by Smaug I was jittery afterwards.

And Aeva,
Unlike you, I didn't mind the Tauriel subplot at all. I think they handled it very well. Normally, I am of the "Leave the romance out of my action movie" persuasion, but they made it tasteful in a way that I wanted to see how it would turn out in the third part. The "trousers" remark was sickening and unnecessary.
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

The Old Judge wrote:And Aeva,
Unlike you, I didn't mind the Tauriel subplot at all. I think they handled it very well. Normally, I am of the "Leave the romance out of my action movie" persuasion, but they made it tasteful in a way that I wanted to see how it would turn out in the third part. The "trousers" remark was sickening and unnecessary.
Ohh yeah, I forgot about that. I was quite frustrated with that bit too because that kind of stuff absolutely does not belong in Middle Earth.
Whatever floats your boat about Tauriel lol. I didn't mind her too much as an added character; it is really the romance that bothers me.
Last edited by Aeva on Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Just got back from seeing it with my parents. I might post a longer review later, but here are a few thoughts:

the battle scenes were all way too long. I know that some of them (the spider scene) is in the book, but honestly they all felt dragged out. I didn't mind the change in the barrel escape scene, but the orcs distracted me from the brilliance that could've been. I suppose the Orcs did distract the Elves from stopping the Dwarves, but still.

I loved seeing Bilbo finally climb up and reach the sunlight. That was a welcome moment of relief.

I liked seeing Beorn, and the ponies. It was good to see the Necromancer, and hear his voice (also voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch)
speaking of Benedict, I agree with Aeva. Perfect dragon, excellent voice and motion capture, Benedict. you are awesome.

Of course, the whole end sequence in the mountain, with the Dwarves trying to defeat Smaug was rather drawn out. I appreciate that Thorin is starting to lust after the gold and the Arkanstone, but at least he didn't go to extreme measures. His taunting of Smaug was great, however.

I liked the conversation between Killi and Tauriel; I thought it was sweet. And I even liked their little romance;
but I didn't like how she saved him. aren't Killi and Fili supposed to die in the book? it's not that i want them to die, but that's how it happened
Overall, I liked it (except for ridiculously drawn out battle sequences). :)

Oh, and I loved the end credits song. I already own it on my Ipod, along with a cover of it by Peter Hollens.

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Shennifer wrote:
but that's how it happened
:hilarious: Since not a single sequence followed the book I wouldn't put it past them. Though they probably wont.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Knight Fisher wrote:
Shennifer wrote:
but that's how it happened
:hilarious: Since not a single sequence followed the book I wouldn't put it past them. Though they probably wont.
you're probably right.

IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

I really enjoyed the movie. A few years ago I read 2/3 of the book, so I don't really remember what happens in it. Cumberbatch's voice as the dragon was spectacular. Loved it.
The spider scene freaked me out, even though I don't mind spiders in real life. :P
The movie was wonderful.
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9