Sports Discussion The Good The Bad And The C'mon Man!

Formerly Baseball Discussion: Latest Headlines.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh, I thought it was Sunday morning.
Still, two coaches in two days.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

The same NFL record tied twice in one season! That's quite a feat. Especially considering no one has tied it since 1969. Though some say it is not such a feat since the 7 TDs were performed against Oakland. Any thoughts?
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh yeah, there was also that yesterday. I don’t care who it’s against, it’s impressive.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Also his ninth nfl start.
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

How about the Kansas City Chiefs? First team in any of the major sports leagues to start a season 9-0 after having the worst record in their sport in the previous season.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Ya but they were expected to be much better this year what with the new coach and new wb
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Better sure, but this is way better than better. It's an incredible turnaround, especially since it was so fast.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Well I think they weren't great the first couple games but they got used to each other and now are fairly good. I don't think they have played many good teams though. I think Denver 2 times in 3 weeks will be a good test for them.
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah, I don’t know how impressive they’ve actually been playing (haven’t seen any games), but they’re getting wins which is all that matters in the end. Sunday will definitely be a test. We’ll see what level they’re really at.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

I'll be impressed if they beat Denver once. But I don't care about that until the Super Bowl. The hawks are getting there this year and this time they gonna win it.
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Amazing game at Lambeau yesterday! Matt Flynn returns to the Packers to bring them back from down sixteen to the Vikings and go to overtime. Both teams score and the game ends in a tie.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

A tie in the NFL? Amazing?

No.

It helps the Lions out a bit, but I don't like tie football games.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

But... Ties never happen so I don't care
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Did I say I liked it? Ties are stupid. The game was amazing.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I'd just settle for some competent refs. It's one thing to make a call, say for example calling holding on Devin Hester's record breaking return. I can respect that they thought it was holding even if I disagree. However to then not know where to enforce the penalty is inexcusable. To repeatedly blow huge calls both ways, (The Rams got stolen from big time on that roughing the passer call.) and to decide so many games with penalties or non-calls week after week is ridiculous. They just don't have the credibility to get leeway for mistakes.

Would you rather have ties or penalty shoot outs? :P Both stink. However ties are much better in the NFL than the college system would be.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It’s crazy, there’s been a tie game two seasons in a row now.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

None of my sports teams are looking upward (other than UC). The Bulls lost Rose for the season, again and we will most likely lose Deng in free agency this offseason. I wish we could lose Boozer's contract. I am okay with how he has been playing, just not his contract.

The Colts have just had entirely too many injuries - Ballard, Allen, Bradshaw, Wayne is a hefty offensive output gone. Pep Hamilton is okay but you can't pound the football when you have Richardson (whom has been a bust) and Brown running the football. I kind of wish we still had Bruce Arians.

Lastly, Reds are also regressing some as we will not be able to resign Choo and might lose Brandon Phillips. Ahh, the pains of a small-market team.

The bright-side of this all is that UC football is playing well and UC basketball with our defense, Sean Kilpatrick and our 6-0 start looks pretty good.

Okay, I am done ranting...for now.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Truly bizarre end to the Sunday Night game! I’ve never seen anything like it.

The Redskins were down seven in the closing minutes but heading down the field looking to score. They end up with a second down play that gets stopped right at the line to gain. The official that spots forward progress comes running in right on the line, indicating that it was enough for a first down, but the official who places the ball set it further back than where the first ran in, short of the first down. Someone signaled that it was a first down, so the chains were moved and the down markers were reset. The Redskins threw the ball downfield incomplete. The officials then signaled that it was fourth down and one to go, and the down markers were moved back to four while the chains remained set as if it were second and ten. Apparently the first down was signaled incorrectly on the first play, and the previous first and ten was actually third and one. Now of course if the Redskins had known that, they would have called an entirely different play. So they’re furious on the sideline, and the commentators are indignant in the booth, but the Redskins have to now hurry and go for it on fourth down, which they do, and they get past the line so it looks like all the craziness will be for naught, but then the player is stood up and a Giant player rips the ball right out of his hands through brute force. Giants get the ball and kneel out the clock.

Simply crazy. Al and Chris got steamed at the officials for not calling for a measurement when there was the initial confusion of whether it was first or third down, but in their defense (this is huge: me defending the officials) the Redskins didn’t give them time. They were in hurry up mode and had snapped the ball before anyone even realized there was confusion on the down. So there wasn’t really much the officials could have done about it. It was just a really strange situation, because you can’t fault whoever decided the down either way they decided it. If they said first down they were right because that’s where the side judge ran in, but if they said third down they were also right because that’s where the ball was spotted! It could have legitimately gone either way, and that’s why yes they should have called a measurement, but again the Redskins just ran with it before anyone could comprehend what had happened.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

So the 49ers won and I am sad :( but on the upside my English teacher doesn't like the 49ers either and permitted me to use all of my vocabulary sentences (ugh) to shine negative light on them \:D/
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I somehow didn’t hear about this before. Major changes to the Pro Bowl this year.

This is ridiculous. What is the point if it’s not AFC vs. NFC anymore? I can go with the rule changes, even though all the clock stuff is stupid, but to change the format? That’s as terrible as moving it to before the Super Bowl or moving it out of Hawaii.