BBC's "Sherlock" Series

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

You may have already seen this but here is Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch's video for the Sherlock panel at ComicCon. Cumberbatch even explains how he survived the fall ;)
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I knew it!! That thing with the second monkey confirms all my theories! :x
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I want to know how or if the cabbage factors into his survival.
But yeah, the second monkey does explain a lot.
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

Post by Wooton Z. Bassett »

Watched the second episode. Not as good as episode 1, but it's getting very exciting.
I'm on the Soda Shop and Campbell County Message Boards.

Check out unofficialaioblog.blogspot.com/

Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Amethystic wrote:I knew it!! That thing with the second monkey confirms all my theories! :x
But the cup of tea! that was definitely important wouldn't you say?

Till the end of the line.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Shennifer wrote:
Amethystic wrote:I knew it!! That thing with the second monkey confirms all my theories! :x
But the cup of tea! that was definitely important wouldn't you say?
But that's why they had the big helicopter thing, right? Between that and the tea, it's so obvious what was going on the entire time.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Aw man. The next episode has been totally spoiled for me. Now that I'll be expecting the monkeys, the surprise is ruined. :(
ique
Found

Post by ique »

Haven't seen the series, but I reeeeally want to because Cumberbatch is incredible.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Wow, I didn’t like The Reichenbach Fall at all. Don’t get me wrong, it was a very clever story - very clever - but not as a Sherlock Holmes tale. Reichenbach is only supposed to be Sherlock’s end, not his downfall.

So as for whether there was the anticipated ‘emotional flailing’, that would depend on what I was supposed to flail over.

If it was the story, not so much. There wasn’t room for flailing as Sherlock was methodically taken down bit by bit, because I wasn’t open to it to affect me. I was frozen in a reaction of ‘this isn’t right’ so instead of getting more and more involved as things kept spiraling downward I just got more and more upset.

But if it was just over the very end
(the revelation that Sherlock is still alive)
then my emotions did indeed flail, to an extent. Not excessively, because I sort of figured it was coming, but more along the lines of trying and failing to figure out what had really happened back there.

I do have to say though, that while the overall episode was disgraceful, in my opinion, for a Sherlock Holmes story, the climax, the final deadlock between Sherlock and Moriarty, was actually an impressively well conceived retelling of the intent behind the original story.

Arthur Conan Doyle never intended to write a definitive end to the ongoing rivalry between Holmes and Moriarty. His vision was that neither could ever get an overpowering upper hand, they were perpetually locked in their struggle, symbolic of the eternal battle between good and evil. However his publisher insisted he come up with an ultimate end. Doyle therefore wrote the resolution to The Final Problem somewhat out of spite. While technically complying with the mandate, he still kept his own vision intact. Neither rival won out, they were both killed off. The struggle remained unresolved.

In that respect, this episode did get one thing right.
On the rooftop, Sherlock almost had Moriarty. He had found a way out. So Moriarty removed it by killing himself, knowing that then Sherlock would have no choice but to carry out the original plan and kill himself as well. Both of them were inescapably locked into this struggle by the other, and the only way for either to end it was for both to die. Yet by that happening, neither could win. The struggle was ended, but not resolved.
That did impress me very much. I only wish the way they chose to lead up to it wasn’t so wrong.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I'm sorry you were disappointed on the lead up to the end but I'm glad you didn't dislike all of it.

I was upset about how Moriarty was working to bring Sherlock down,
but at the end,
when Sherlock jumped off the building, I didn't quite know what to think. For a minute, a horrible minute, I believed him to be dead because how could he fake that it looked real.
However, what was also emotionally hard was seeing him lie to John about who he was and what was going on and not explain the truth. Not to mention John at Sherlock's grave at the end.
I haven't read the original Final Problem yet, so maybe when I do it'll change my opinion somewhat.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Shennifer wrote:
However, what was also emotionally hard was seeing him lie to John about who he was and what was going on and not explain the truth.
Well yes of course, I 'flailed' over that because of the nature of the scene. He didn't have a choice, he had to play it that way. It was very tough. But that's my point. That scene never should have had to go that way in the first place, because the discrediting plot was out of line.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

bookworm wrote:
Shennifer wrote:
However, what was also emotionally hard was seeing him lie to John about who he was and what was going on and not explain the truth.
Well yes of course, I 'flailed' over that because of the nature of the scene. He didn't have a choice, he had to play it that way. It was very tough. But that's my point. That scene never should have had to go that way in the first place, because the discrediting plot was out of line.
I gather that it was different in the Final Problem.

Did you like the how the rest of the episodes compared to their original predecessors? I think this is the only one you said you didn't like. And I'm curious as to your thoughts on the rest of them.
Last edited by Shennifer on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

This is my Moriarty theory... that Moriarty is not a person but an idea.

So he could very well be back again. *shrug*
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH OHMIGOSHOHMIGOSHOHMIGOSH EVERYONE WATCH THIS! (spoilers. you have been warned. :P)

SO. Perhaps his head is all bloody from hitting the ground too hard, and then Sherlock planted the gun? Hmm....
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Termite wrote:
This is my Moriarty theory... that Moriarty is not a person but an idea.

So he could very well be back again. *shrug*
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH OHMIGOSHOHMIGOSHOHMIGOSH EVERYONE WATCH THIS! (spoilers. you have been warned. :P)

SO. Perhaps his head is all bloody from hitting the ground too hard, and then Sherlock planted the gun? Hmm....
But...BUTWAITWHAT?
Moffat said Moriarty is dead.

I DON'T want him to be an idea. Besides it happened too fast for me to really get a good look (yes I know they slowed it down,
but only from behind. And we don't have a detailed coverage of what happened from a better angle that gives every detail)
Watching it a few more times assures me he's dead.

Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Guys, I love that we can come up with theories for the show \:D/
*insert provocative quote here*
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:Guys, I love that we can come up with theories for the show \:D/
To quote tumblr, we are turning into Sherlock: deducing and analyzing

;)

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Well, about what Moffat said....

Rule number one: Moffat lies. And he says so himself in the quote in the yellow box. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

November 24th is when Season 3 comes out!!! It cannot come fast enough. Catching fire 22nd, Dr. Who 23rd, Sherlock 24th. Thanksgiving break will be very very busy.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

AND ANOTHER CONSPIRACY THEORY.
Love you always, SnC
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Shennifer wrote:I gather that it was different in the Final Problem.
Only entirely.
In the book there is no plot to discredit Holmes, Moriarty simply wants to kill him. Sherlock escapes successive assassins until he finally meets up with Moriarty himself, they fight on a cliff, and both go over.
Shennifer wrote:Did you like the how the rest of the episodes compared to their original predecessors? I think this is the only one you said you didn't like.
Indeed, while some of the past episodes I haven’t liked as much as others, this is the first I haven’t liked at all. As I said, it’s not an acceptable Holmes story, so it is impossible to compare to the others. I did say the story itself was extremely clever, so in style and plot it compared excellently; and if this were an episode in some generic detective series I would actually rank it near if not at the top. The story and development were exceptionally strong. But as a chapter in this series, unquestionably the worst. Simply shameful.
Shennifer wrote:And I'm curious as to your thoughts on the rest of them.
As Holmes stories? They were fine. Some, like Hounds, even great. I don’t care about them that way really, because they’re just passing cases, you can take or leave them. If they change some ideas to put their own spin on it, that’s up to them. But The Final Problem is a cornerstone story, an extreme liberty like destroying Sherlock Holmes’ reputation is totally out of line.