Boston Explosion

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Boston Explosion

Post by Jehoshaphat »

There was two explosions in Boston at the marathon finish line. Please pray for all those hurt.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 ... e-say?lite
By Erin McClam, Staff Writer, NBC News

Two explosions went off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday as runners completed the race and thousands of people cheered them on. The blasts were described by race organizers as two bombs, and witnesses told NBC News that there were widespread injuries, some severe.

Video from the finish line showed screams and an enormous cloud of white smoke, and about 20 seconds between the blasts. The Associated Press reported that bloody spectators were being carried to a medical tent that had been set up to care for tired runners.

Jackie Bruno, a reporter for New England Cable News, said on Twitter that she saw people’s legs blown off.

“Runners were coming in and saw unspeakable horror,” she said.
Advertise | AdChoices

Massachusetts General Hospital said that it had four patients and was expecting more. Tufts Medical Center said it had one patient and two on the way.

A House Homeland Security Committee official told NBC News that Boston firefighters reported discovering an undetonated device at an intersection near the finish.

Serghino Rene, 30, who works in alumni relations, was volunteering near the finish line not long before the bombing but was a few blocks away when he heard the explosion.

“We saw two big puffs. I thought maybe it was fireworks. Then it went off again. And then all of a sudden we heard people crying and running away. It was a huge horde of people just running away,” he said. “We just got away from the scene and away from tall buildings. I’m scared and emotional. I’m wondering if there are people who I was volunteering with who were still there and got hurt.”

Race organizers, in a post on Twitter, said: “There were two bombs that exploded near the finish line in today’s Boston Marathon We are working with law enforcement to determine exactly what happened.”

President Barack Obama was notified, and his administration was in touch with state and local authorities, a White House official told NBC News. Obama directed the administration to provide whatever help was necessary, the official said.

Within the first hour after the blasts, New York police deployed counterterrorism vehicles to landmarks, and Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House was closed to foot traffic.

The race is a signature event in Boston. Race organizers said that almost 27,000 runners competed, representing 96 countries. Tens of thousands of spectators turn out each year to watch. A special marker at the 26th mile of the course, yards from the finish, had been set up to honor the 26 dead in the Newtown, Conn., elementary school shooting last December.

The race began at 10 a.m., and the explosions were reported just before 3 p.m. The winners had long ago completed the race, but the explosions came as masses of other runners were approaching the finish. NBC affiliate WHDH said that storefront windows nearby were blown out.

Will Ritter, the spokesman for Massachusetts Senate candidate Gabriel Gomez, told NBC News that he heard what sounded like two explosions and saw smoke rising near the Boston Public Library. He said that he saw three fire engines and police running to the site.

“We heard two really large explosions in rapid succession, about a second apart from each other,” Ritter said. “Everybody kind of ducked and hit the ground.”

Janet Wu, a reporter for WHDH, told NBC News that she heard two loud explosions. A witness told WHDH that it sounded like cannon fire.

The AP reported that runners and race organizers were crying as they fled the scene. Runners who were still on the 26.2-mile course were being stopped and directed elsewhere, the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency said. The agency suggested that people trying to reach loved ones use text messaging because of crowded phone lines.

The Boston police bomb squad was en route. Police, fire and medical technicians were responding. New England Cable News reported that the emergency response came within seconds.

The Boston transit system suspended some service.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

There's a live stream of the latest news and footage here.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I've been watching the ABC live stream for an hour now...it's awful. My cousin works in Boston, but I don't think his office would be near there, although I'm not sure on that. :mad:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

It is all over the TV and radio in my area. They are saying two people dead but of course that number will most likely go up.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’ve been watching the CBS feed.

There was also an explosion at the JFK library the police said at the press conference.

Live finish line webcam.

Edit:

They’re now saying it was an accidental fire at the library, not related.
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

My good friend's dad, uncle, and cousin were all there, but thankfully the were no harmed.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

That's just so sad and tragic...
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

The explosions were in the spectator areas, so unless it was a runner who had already finished, I doubt it was a runner.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I was pulling merch for a store opening at other stores in the area, and I had just stopped in to say hi to my former boss when he got a news alert on his phone. Listened to the radio on the way back to where I was working. Took me back a bit to 9/11, my only access to news that day was the radio as well.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I just found out that I knew someone who was there, and they had actually planned to hang out in close proximity to where the first bomb went off, but at the last minute changed their mind and went about a mile or so down the road from there.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Jesus' Princess wrote:I just found out that I knew someone who was there, and they had actually planned to hang out in close proximity to where the first bomb went off, but at the last minute changed their mind and went about a mile or so down the road from there.
Thank God. o.o

A friend's brother goes to college in Boston, thankfully he was well.

So. Sad. *sigh*

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

After an incredible 24 hours, one suspect is dead and the other is in custody.

Timeline of events.

I was watching the conclusion on tv all last evening, it was simply amazing. I’ve never seen anything like this.
When he was finally caught and all the emergency vehicles started filing out (which took a long time because there were hundreds) everyone in the neighborhood went out and lined the streets and cheered every single car as it went by.

Tweet from the Boston Police: "CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody."
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I was watching the live stream on my computer ALL day yesterday while I was baking in the kitchen, and then had the news on TV all evening as well. I was so glad they found him and were able to take him alive.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Humby
Tallying up

Post by Humby »

Pray also for the explosion of the plant in Texas.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This is unbelievable.
One man was hit by both of these major explosions.
People keep asking Joe Berti if he feels unlucky.

A bomb exploded at the finish line of the Boston Marathon moments after Berti finished the race. Two days later, he was in his home state of Texas when he saw a fertilizer plant explode near Waco.

"I was just like, `I can't believe this!'" said Berti, who said he had never witnessed an explosion before. Then he thought: "I just want to get out of here and get away from all these explosions."

But Berti, as it turns out, is far from unlucky. Instead, he feels fortunate. He left both tragedies unscathed, while members of his running group and his wife – who was closer to the Boston explosion than he was – were also unhurt.

"It's a miracle," he said Thursday in an interview with The Associated Press. "People keep saying, `Don't you feel unlucky?' and I was actually the opposite – saying not only do I not feel unlucky, but I feel blessed that my wife could be 10 yards from the explosion and not have a scratch."

The bombings in Boston, which happened about 10 seconds apart at the finish line of Monday's marathon, killed three people and left more than 180 wounded. In West, Texas, which is near Waco, a fertilizer plant exploded Wednesday, killing at least five people, injuring more than 160, and leveling homes, apartments and a school.

"We're grateful that God has been merciful to us," said Berti's wife, Amy. "We are just praying for the people who were so much less fortunate than we were."

Berti's road to the Boston marathon started just a couple months ago, when he decided to run with Champions4Children, a charity that helps kids with rare or undiagnosed disorders and their families. He was one of eight Austin-area runners who ran the marathon with that group. Each ran for a sick child or "training partner," who tracked his or her runner's marathon progress from home.

During the last four miles, the 43-year-old Berti, who wore bib number 25472, felt his body shutting down, and his pace slowed. But he was running for his partner Drew, and he vowed to finish.

"I had just run to the finish line and... (moments) later I heard the first explosion, and then turned around and saw the smoke," he said. "I knew immediately that it was a bomb. ... Then the second explosion occurred and I saw a wave of people running."

At that point, he said, he was so exhausted he couldn't run anymore. He worried about getting caught in a stampede. He was concerned about members of his running group who were behind him. He also thought about his wife, whom he was unable to reach and was probably wondering where he was. He told himself she was fine, because she was supposed to be at a restaurant.

"But then, I was like, `She never listens to me, and she may have been at the finish line,'" a thought he quickly tried to remove from his mind.

As it turns out, Amy Berti and a friend were just yards from the first explosion. She had just taken a picture of Joe, and was heading to the finish line to find him when the bomb went off. She and her friend were both hit by shrapnel. Amy was uninjured, her friend was bruised.

But a woman right next to Amy had her leg torn off from the knee down, and lost all the fingers in her left hand. Amy Berti went to get help, and once that woman was being cared for, Amy's frantic search for her husband began.

His cellphone battery died. He wasn't on the bus. He wasn't in the medical tents.

"I had just watched him cross where that bomb was, so I didn't know if he made it through and I couldn't find him," she said. "I started to freak out a little bit."

After about an hour, the couple reunited at their hotel, both of them OK. They left Boston Tuesday morning and returned to Austin, with every hope of getting back to life as normal with their two girls, ages 8 and 11.

Joe Berti went back to work. On Wednesday, he had a daylong meeting in Dallas, followed by a museum tour. He was heading home on Interstate 35 and nearing Waco Wednesday night when he saw black smoke up ahead to his left. As he drove closer, he saw – and felt – his second explosion in two days.

"You've got to be kidding!" he remembers thinking. He described the giant fireball as a massive force that shook his car. He said it looked like pictures of nuclear explosions that he has seen on television.

He didn't know what he had just witnessed – but he pulled over and took a picture.

"My next reaction was to get out of there because something fell on the top of my car – some debris or something fell from the sky," he said.

As black smoke billowed over the highway in front of him, Berti held his breath and drove through it. After a few attempts, he was able to reach his wife – sparing her another round of worry.

"I'm like, `Honey, what is with your luck? Why are you in all of these places?" Amy Berti said. When a reporter suggested that Joe should stay home for a while, she joked, "We need to keep him moving. Maybe he just needs to stand in an open field."
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, I hadn't heard that story before. That is really crazy! :mad: