confusing forum layout?

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Loney 97
Not as new
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Planet Earth, The Solar System as We Know It. . .

Post by Loney 97 »

It looks like this is a place where a newbie is really needed, so I'll post. I don't think the forum is too complicated; after about ten minutes you're already used to it. One thing that is kind of weird is there's lots of places where it seems like you can't start new topics, that could be confusing to people just arriving. Another thing is the way that the avi and all the stuff surrounding it is set up; why is the username so small? I think that that is one place that could be improved. Other than that, it looks like a great site! :D
Thank you to my SS for the great sig!
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

It seems to me that if people don't know where to post, they're just being lazy and not actually reading the forum section descriptions.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Loney 97 wrote:It looks like this is a place where a newbie is really needed, so I'll post. I don't think the forum is too complicated; after about ten minutes you're already used to it. One thing that is kind of weird is there's lots of places where it seems like you can't start new topics, that could be confusing to people just arriving. Another thing is the way that the avi and all the stuff surrounding it is set up; why is the username so small? I think that that is one place that could be improved. Other than that, it looks like a great site! :D
This right here is the best post in the topic. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

T.S. (myself) wrote:Bookworm, the reason for having one forum for anything non-AiO was to keep the focus on AiO.
Like I said, I understand the purpose, but I think you went about it wrong. To emphasize AIO discussion you can expand on the AIO forum categories, as you have done, and also have general categories to streamline the rest of the threads. You don’t have to divide only AIO threads and toss everything else into a void.

Loney 97 wrote:One thing that is kind of weird is there's lots of places where it seems like you can't start new topics, that could be confusing to people just arriving.
Like where? The only one I know of is City Hall. The others are clearly marked as locked and for archival purposes only.
Loney 97 wrote:Another thing is the way that the avi and all the stuff surrounding it is set up; why is the username so small?
What do you mean?
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

"Username being small" most likely depends on the style you're using, unless you prefer all names to be this big.[/exaggeration]
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
Loney 97
Not as new
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Planet Earth, The Solar System as We Know It. . .

Post by Loney 97 »

DanP740 wrote:"Username being small" most likely depends on the style you're using, unless you prefer all names to be this big.[/exaggeration]
Is the username supposed to be only as big as all the rest of the text? I think that makes it kinda hard to tell people with the same avi apart, like Joy & Woody. . . :?
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

We don't have the same avy anymore. :-
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

People rarely have the same avvy as someone else, so it's rarely an issue.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Loney 97
Not as new

Post by Loney 97 »

DanP740 wrote:People rarely have the same avvy as someone else, so it's rarely an issue.
I guess; but still, that's one thing that could be changed. . .
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

The only time people have matching avys/sets is election time, it's just a way of showing support for your team. :)
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Marvin D. wrote:City Hall
Are you new in town? Unfamiliar with what to do first? Pop in and take a look at several helpful guides to get you settled into your new home! You'll also find Mayoral announcements to keep you abreast of the latest developments

^it's right there in one of the first forums. It's not as if it's hard to miss.
Oh, I could navigate fairly easily throughout the general board and its forums, however, the Welcome/Goodbye thread evaded me for quite some time. This was primarily due to confusion between 'City Hall' and 'The Steps of City Hall', along with far too many announcements and headers within the forums, in my opinion.
bookworm wrote:
T.S. (myself) wrote:Bookworm, the reason for having one forum for anything non-AiO was to keep the focus on AiO.
Like I said, I understand the purpose, but I think you went about it wrong. To emphasize AIO discussion you can expand on the AIO forum categories, as you have done, and also have general categories to streamline the rest of the threads. You don’t have to divide only AIO threads and toss everything else into a void.
Firstly, it is hardly a void. It is normally kept in good order by us moderators. The public can easily navigate and find the threads they were looking for. New people often are slow to sort through all of the threads, but that is a price we are willing to pay.

As for streamlining 'the rest of the threads', the question lies in dividing the rest of the threads. Since the creation of the board the administrators have added three subforums to the General Discussion, all to to many threads of the same topic or genre. Current Games contains all of the games (count to a million, pop in your head, rate the avatar, ect.). The church forum holds all topics concerning religious subjects and the like. The gallery has all of the threads about user's personal works.

As for the rest of the threads, they are not easily divided into different groups. Because the current subforums seem to be working well, we will continue in the same direction, adding new ones when we hit a good number of relatable topics.

As far as I know, the administrators have no plans or desire to add new forums. The board was completely created for AiO. General Discussion was not intended to be a focus of the board, just a place for anything other than AiO. To add anything above that, besides for organization, would be to some extent encouraging discussion the board wasn't designed for. If the members want extended General Discussion, they can come here.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

On SS, I honestly just noticed the General Discussion forum a few days ago. :anxious:
Last edited by snubs on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Aaron Wiley
Popsicle kid

Post by Aaron Wiley »

snubs wrote:On SS, I honestly just noticed the General Discussion forum a couple few days ago. :anxious:
And we don't have a problem with that at all. :D General is supposed to be more of an afterthought, and we'd rather new users focus on the AIO portion of the site first anyway.

But I definitely agree with T.S. on the board being harder to navigate for new users. You have a lot more forums on the board, which makes the whole thing look a lot more overwhelming.

I also dislike the general formatting of the posting itself. It looks a lot messier...

EX:
ToO post format
http://i.imgur.com/Bt3O1.png

SS post format
http://i.imgur.com/OLDI7.png
Last edited by Aaron Wiley on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And the Lord saw that man had created the Internet, and He was most distressed. For once people started using chatspeak and improper grammar, their level of smartness was decreased by more than 500%. And so the Lord removed all the gifts he had once bestowed on man, and it was very sad." The Book of Marvin, Chapter 351, Verse 442.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Jesus_Minime wrote:
snubs wrote:On SS, I honestly just noticed the General Discussion forum a few days ago. :anxious:
And we don't have a problem with that at all. :D General is supposed to be more of an afterthought, and we'd rather new users focus on the AIO portion of the site first anyway.
Though, I'm sure it was just me. Because it's definitely not difficult to find. I just wasn't looking for it.
Jesus_Minime wrote:I also dislike the general formatting of the posting itself. It looks a lot messier...

EX:
ToO post format

SS post format
Grayscale3.0 looks at lot better when it comes to side profiles.
Last edited by snubs on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

What really annoys me with the SS layout, is the ten posts per page setup. Really annoying if you're reading a thread.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Knight Fisher wrote:What really annoys me with the SS layout, is the ten posts per page setup. Really annoying if you're reading a thread.
I don't like that you cannot click on the member's username within a thread, and it's very hard to tell which page you are on because the page number does not highlight.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jesus_Minime wrote:But I definitely agree with T.S. on the board being harder to navigate for new users.
But T.S. said it was not hard to navigate, so you are actually disagreeing with him.
Jesus_Minime wrote:You have a lot more forums on the board, which makes the whole thing look a lot more overwhelming.
‘Larger’ vs. ‘overwhelming’ is a subjective comparison. I agree our layout is longer (obviously, since we have more categories set aside as their own forums), but your smaller layout is the one I find overwhelming. Overwhelming to me is not dependent on the size, but on the organization. If I went to your site to discuss a particular non-AIO subject, I would be at a complete loss as to how to proceed. Because there is only one General Discussion forum with anything and everything just tossed in there, it would take a considerable amount of time to determine if there was already a thread on this subject, having to look through everything in there with no rhyme or reason to their content.
Jesus_Minime wrote:I also dislike the general formatting of the posting itself. It looks a lot messier...

EX:
ToO post format

SS post format
The “excess data” you refer to in your screenshot does not appear when I browse the site, because I use a theme that doesn’t show all that.
You can’t use theme-dependent points as arguments against the site; that’s why there are different themes to choose from. So you can use one that fits what you want.
Aaron Wiley
Popsicle kid

Post by Aaron Wiley »

bookworm wrote:
Jesus_Minime wrote:But I definitely agree with T.S. on the board being harder to navigate for new users.
But T.S. said it was not hard to navigate, so you are actually disagreeing with him.
Sorry I didn't mention which board I was talking about, I meant the ToO is harder to navigate, or at least, it was in the beginning. I have a better handle on things now, but the whole layout still feels kind of messy to me.
bookworm wrote: ‘Larger’ vs. ‘overwhelming’ is a subjective comparison. I agree our layout is longer (obviously, since we have more categories set aside as their own forums), but your smaller layout is the one I find overwhelming. Overwhelming to me is not dependent on the size, but on the organization. If I went to your site to discuss a particular non-AIO subject, I would be at a complete loss as to how to proceed. Because there is only one General Discussion forum with anything and everything just tossed in there, it would take a considerable amount of time to determine if there was already a thread on this subject, having to look through everything in there with no rhyme or reason to their content.
But, as you'll notice, we just don't have as many none-AIO related topics. That makes them easier to keep track of. We do have a few sub forums in there that we've created entirely based on what seemed to be needed. There were a lot of topics flooding the general discussion a while ago that were simply about various works user's had created, so we put up "The Gallery" subforum, and since then there hasn't really been much need for other sub forums. Like we've said several times, the focus of the site is to talk about AIO, the general discussion is more of an afterthought. We made modifications to it when they're needed, but there hasn't been a lot of need for change in that area because people seem to be able to find their way around it just fine.
bookworm wrote: You can’t use theme-dependent points as arguments against the site; that’s why there are different themes to choose from. So you can use one that fits what you want.
Yes, I think I can. It's not general knowledge that you can change your "style" on any given message board, so most users (especially new ones) don't know how to do this. I'm basing my arguments on the default settings, because that's what most users are going to be seeing, especially when they first join.
snubs wrote:
Knight Fisher wrote:What really annoys me with the SS layout, is the ten posts per page setup. Really annoying if you're reading a thread.
I don't like that you cannot click on the member's username within a thread, and it's very hard to tell which page you are on because the page number does not highlight.
I agree with both of the first two arguments here and I'm going to go try to fix both of them right now, haha. As for not being able to click people's names, we have a little button that says "Image" which does the same thing.
"And the Lord saw that man had created the Internet, and He was most distressed. For once people started using chatspeak and improper grammar, their level of smartness was decreased by more than 500%. And so the Lord removed all the gifts he had once bestowed on man, and it was very sad." The Book of Marvin, Chapter 351, Verse 442.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Since we are talking about different styles/layouts...I took the liberty of taking screenshots of each style so you all could compare the different layouts. They are in order of Index, Profile, Post.

Just click to enlarge the image.

"autumn"

"BlueToO"

"CatsVille"

"Chrimbo"

"Grayscale3.0"

"GreenTea"

"Springo"

"newToO"

"odyssian"

Aaron Wiley
Popsicle kid

Post by Aaron Wiley »

Thanks snubs, :)

I actually just went through them all yesterday to see what kinds of options there were. I liked green tea the best, but I left it on blue ToO for some reason anyway.
20 posts to a page on the SS now, and we're working on the page highlight thing. Thanks for pointing those out guys.