Peter Walking on Water/the Train Trestle at Miller's Ravine

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Peter Walking on Water/the Train Trestle at Miller's Ravine

Post by King Butter Turtle »

*topic title note - I really wanted to call this thread 'Peter Walking on Water the Train Trestle over Miller's Ravine' but, it won't let you strike through words in a subject line - argh. :x

Anyway... :-

This is another one of those 'has-everyone-else-always-taken-this-for-granite-and-I'm-just-really-slow-or-am-I-actually-the-first-person-to-think-of-this' threads. ;) I was just listening to A... is for Attitude and noticed that the scene where Whit rescues Peter from the train trestle has some similarities to the story of Peter walking on water in the Bible.

Whit - "Ok Pete, ok. Take it easy now. I'm almost there. Just relax. A few more steps and it'll all be over."
*they notice the train is coming
Whit - "Peter, you have to get up from there."
Peter - "I can't!"
Whit - "Yes you can! Come on, get up! Good, now give me your hand, Peter. - you're hand."
Peter - "I'm scared!"
Whit - "We've got to move Pete and I mean right now! Go! Go! Go!"
Peter - "Ok"
Whit - "Come on, give me your hand, quick! Jump Peter, jump!"

*not the whole scene word for word
  • both Peters are in Danger
  • both Peters are afraid
  • both Peters put a tremendous amount of trust in the figures they're walking towards
  • both stories can be described as miracles (although in a quite a different way, I guess)
  • obviously, both characters are named Peter (and since the Peter in Odyssey is only in 2 episodes, they may well have given him that name for the sake of drawing out the similarities in this scene)
Now, obviously Whit isn't God - it's not Peter's faith in Whit that gets them off the track and at one point Whit admits that he, too, is scared but, the Peter sides of the stories do seem to share quite a bit. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not or, like I said, if everyone else has already caught this but, it is an interesting thought none-the-less. :)
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

You know, I'd never thought about that before. it's an interesting connection for sure :)
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

"My head just exploded."
~Jay Smouse~

I never realized that! Maybe it's because I haven't listened to that episode that much. Kudos to you, KBT for coming up with that parallel!
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

I was just about to write the AIOWiki article on Miller's Ravine. Huh.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Loney 97
Not as new
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Planet Earth, The Solar System as We Know It. . .

Post by Loney 97 »

That's a really cool connection; good for you for putting the two together! =D>
Thank you to my SS for the great sig!
Nick Mulligan
Lurker

Post by Nick Mulligan »

That actually makes a lot of sense! I wish I would've thought of that! ;)
I love my barking tree frog.
Tikvah
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Tikvah »

That's really cool! I wonder If the writers did that on purpose.
Arkán Dreamwalker
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Arkán Dreamwalker »

And I have never heard the episode. -_-
~ Walker in Dreams