The Official Complaint Thread

Out of the Ruins of the Week of Craziness

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I knew it existed..

Because I was thinking about turning it on when I was in office. \:D/

But that stinkin' Catspaw intervened. :( You have to watch out for her. :noway:
Last edited by Whitty Whit on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Whitty Whit wrote:I knew it existed..

Because I was thinking about turning it on when I was in office. \:D/

But that stinkin' Catspaw intervened. :( You have to watch out for her. :noway:
I don't know how many people knew or not. I was just guessing when I wrote my earlier post.
Last edited by Laurie on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Laurie wrote:
bookworm wrote: I did not even know such a feature even existed on this message board and I would venture a guess that there are others who were unaware of this feature as well.
I didn't know about that feature until I was robbed.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

LOL you guys.

I think I'll just turn off money completely if everyone keeps making a big deal about it. ;)

As far as the robberies that took place during the last event, that's not on me, that's on yourselves. When I began informing specific people that the feature was available, I made it very clear that there was a level of responsibility that came with that knowledge. The entire story arc itself was designed to progress according to your own decisions and strategy, rather than a complete element of control that would have left everyone helpless. I basically left the fate of the event in your hands.

So, I COULD just intervene and give everyone what they want in order to make everyone happy, but I'd rather you guys just be responsible on your own accord.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Jelly wrote:LOL you guys.

I think I'll just turn off money completely if everyone keeps making a big deal about it. ;)

As far as the robberies that took place during the last event, that's not on me, that's on yourselves. When I began informing specific people that the feature was available, I made it very clear that there was a level of responsibility that came with that knowledge. The entire story arc itself was designed to progress according to your own decisions and strategy, rather than a complete element of control that would have left everyone helpless. I basically left the fate of the event in your hands.

So, I COULD just intervene and give everyone what they want in order to make everyone happy, but I'd rather you guys just be responsible on your own accord.
If you want to turn the money feature off, go right ahead it won't hurt me at all. In fact this message board would be a lot better without the money feature. One thing to consider is that the next time you need money for a story arc where are you going to steal it from if nobody is making money? I don't participate in these story arcs, I never have and never will. In fact I made it very clear that I wanted no part of it. Please do not blame me for something that I wanted no part in to begin with. That is not only unfair but totally uncalled for.
Last edited by Laurie on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Jelly wrote:I think I'll just turn off money completely if everyone keeps making a big deal about it. ;)
Empty threat... ;)
Jelly wrote:As far as the robberies that took place during the last event, that's not on me, that's on yourselves. When I began informing specific people that the feature was available, I made it very clear that there was a level of responsibility that came with that knowledge. The entire story arc itself was designed to progress according to your own decisions and strategy, rather than a complete element of control that would have left everyone helpless. I basically left the fate of the event in your hands.

Like Laurie, I had no idea we had a robbery mod installed. I never knew it was a possibility and I'm actually shocked that it's being allowed outside of a story arc. Stealing money has its place within arcs (I gladly let Arkan borrow my money), but it ALL needs to be returned. Anything else is a severe (virtual) injustice.

And please, none of this "it's just fake money!!" garbage. This is a fake town with fake names and fake positions of authority, and yet somehow this place still has value. We should do things right even when it's not life-changing.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

You're supposed to have my back, man. :(
American Eagle wrote:Like Laurie, I had no idea we had a robbery mod installed. I never knew it was a possibility and I'm actually shocked that it's being allowed outside of a story arc. Stealing money has its place within arcs (I gladly let Arkan borrow my money), but it ALL needs to be returned. Anything else is a severe (virtual) injustice.
Tyler installed it at the beginning of the term for a fun mini-event that lasted a day or two. I'm not sure how all of you missed that. It's been otherwise deactivated, and I only brought it back because it played an important role in the story arc (which everyone was warned about to begin with).
American Eagle wrote:And please, none of this "it's just fake money!!" garbage. This is a fake town with fake names and fake positions of authority, and yet somehow this place still has value. We should do things right even when it's not life-changing.
Fair enough, which is why I gave you guys the responsibility banter. I'm not planning on just handing out cash to everyone who complains, I want you guys to resolve this for yourselves.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Jelly wrote:You're supposed to have my back, man. :(
American Eagle wrote:Like Laurie, I had no idea we had a robbery mod installed. I never knew it was a possibility and I'm actually shocked that it's being allowed outside of a story arc. Stealing money has its place within arcs (I gladly let Arkan borrow my money), but it ALL needs to be returned. Anything else is a severe (virtual) injustice.
Tyler installed it at the beginning of the term for a fun mini-event that lasted a day or two. I'm not sure how all of you missed that. It's been otherwise deactivated, and I only brought it back because it played an important role in the story arc (which everyone was warned about to begin with).
American Eagle wrote:And please, none of this "it's just fake money!!" garbage. This is a fake town with fake names and fake positions of authority, and yet somehow this place still has value. We should do things right even when it's not life-changing.
Fair enough, which is why I gave you guys the responsibility banter. I'm not planning on just handing out cash to everyone who complains, I want you guys to resolve this for yourselves.
I missed that mini event because I don't recall there being a topic telling us about it or I was not online when it took place. If there was a topic then I missed it and that is my fault.This is just a suggestion but perhaps the robbery feature should be gotten rid of in light of all of the outrage of late.
Last edited by Laurie on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Some questions:
  • Are you notified when someone steals from you?
    If so, I don't think you need to return any money unless people ask for it back. If Jeremy returns and wants his money, he should definitely receive it.
    If not, I think the theft mod needs to be removed forever. >_>
  • Did anyone gain through robbery? I think that's unfair, tbh. It should probably be taken away.
I probably shouldn't listen to Adele when I post on the ToO because it makes every silly thing seem like an emotional warfare. :(
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

American Eagle wrote:
  • Are you notified when someone steals from you?
    If so, I don't think you need to return any money unless people ask for it back. If Jeremy returns and wants his money, he should definitely receive it.
    If not, I think the theft mod needs to be removed forever. >_>
Yes, you are notified. And I'm all in favor of friendly returns.
American Eagle wrote:I probably shouldn't listen to Adele when I post on the ToO because it makes every silly thing seem like an emotional warfare. :(
Best quote of the day. \:D/
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

So....Arkan. I'd like my money back, please. ;) Since Jelly won't give it back.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

American Eagle wrote:
  • Did anyone gain through robbery? I think that's unfair, tbh. It should probably be taken away.
Bookworm gained a nice sum, I know that. Arkan gained a lot too, but it all got taken away.

No one really complained about the robbery thing last time it was active because no one lost very much. Some people lost a lot when trying to steal but failed. But that's their fault for trying to steal the money in the first place. So yeah, no one was very successful.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I got a bunch. (And lost a good bit too in the process.) But if anyone wants what I sstole from them back I'll give it too them. They just have to prove I did, because I don't remember all of them...
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I didn't steal anything, (I still don't know how the robbery feature worked, I couldn't find it..) but I had $2,200 stolen, and that was money I was saving for a specific purpose. If there's any way I could get that back it would be greatly appreciated.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

You steal in increments on 5 dollars, that way, if you fail, you lose $2.50. So just try it again, and gain 2.50. \:D/
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

So, Arkán, how about giving Joy's $300 back? \:D/ Please?

And Whitty, how about giving me my dollar back!?!? :x
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I was robbed five times, but only one of those times was an amount over three bucks :p
Untitled.png
*insert provocative quote here*
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Wow, this thread sure got interesting over the last 24 hours. :p
American Eagle wrote:Are you notified when someone steals from you?
I already did ask for my money back, on the previous page of this thread. ;) That's what started this whole debate.
Laurie wrote:I did not even know such a feature even existed on this message board and I would venture a guess that there are others who were unaware of this feature as well. If I had known I would most definitely have had problems with it. I find it very disturbing that such a feature would even exist in the first place. Even though the money we are talking about is fake, the fact that these tactics are even considered and then used is just very sad.
I second this post. Besides, the money isn't just "fake," it has various actual uses on the forum.
Marvin D. wrote:you took Jeremy's money too? >_> That's just lame. .inactive? He'd just posted 10 days ago. it's amazing what people do just to get some more money.

*annoyed*
Exactly. I've posted multiple times every month this year, and probably almost every month during the past 8 years. But I still don't think that even if someone was inactive, that that provides a legitimate excuse for stealing their money. :-s

Jeremy
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

My problem is that people like bookworm have tons of money already and aren't even using it. And then he goes and robs from people who are saving their money for various reasons. .and then uses the excuse that Jeremy hasn't been active, when he has been active all the time. I don't care about my money (though I am saving it for the elections), but if you have tons of money you aren't doing anything with, and you go around and steal other people's money and give a lame excuse as the reason, that's just not nice.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Marvin D. wrote:My problem is that people like bookworm have tons of money already and aren't even using it. And then he goes and robs from people who are saving their money for various reasons
This is a completely inaccurate description of what I did. If that were the case, then I would be just as upset about it as you. But if that were the case, I wouldn’t have done it in the first place.
I made it a conscious point to not take from anyone that I knew was active, because as you say they could be planning to use it for something. Other than a few people I apparently misjudged, the members I took from were completely, and in all likelihood permanently, inactive. Seriously, as in ‘last login 2009’ inactive. There’s no way you can be upset about them losing that money, it’s been sitting there for years are would have continued to indefinitely.
As for me not using my money, that argument holds absolutely no basis, because you’re leaving out the obvious difference. I’m not using it at the moment, but I can at any time. They’re not here, they can’t. As I said before, several of them actually logged back on just to tell me good luck with it before disappearing again. Not only were they perfectly fine with it, but they told me it was a good idea! I’m here and they’re not, so it’s better with me. If I hadn’t robbed it, they probably would have just sent it to me. If anyone should have a problem with it it would be them, but they overwhelmingly don’t, so you have no basis for complaining.

But it’s never (to my knowledge) been said that I’m not honest, so if someone doesn’t feel they were inactive enough to warrant loosing money they may notify me and I will send it back. Not because I feel I have to, just to make peace.

Edit:

Jelly, are you saying you’re not giving anyone back anything, it’s all up to the people involved? There are serious holes in that plan.

First off, the robbery feature is a mod that was installed and activated, making it legitimate to use. In other words, even if people don’t like it that’s too bad. The people who used it are under absolutely no obligation to return anything they don’t wish to. Otherwise there would be no point in it.
(Note that I do not completely endorse this cold hearted position, I’m just saying that’s the way it is. I already said I’ll send mine back, so I don’t subscribe fully to that opinion, but if someone else does it’s perfectly valid.)

But more importantly, Arkán’s thefts should really be covered by the administration because you were the ones that made it happen. (Before you give the ‘he pushed the button’ hear me out.)
He needed the million for the election. Originally you gave him all the money needed, but by the time you showed him what to use it for he didn’t have it all and had to make it up. And when he did, he sent it all to you.
So his robberies, since they went to regaining the fee, would come out of the fee, which means you would reimburse them from the one million.
Last edited by bookworm on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.