US Election 2012 Discussion Topic

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

I cast my fake internet ballot for:

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden
21%
Governor Willard Mitt Romney and Congressman Paul Ryan
33%
Governor Gary Johnson and whoever he is running with
7%
I tried to vote for Al Gore, but the butterfly ballot confused me and I voted for Pat Buchanan
No votes
Dementia-addled Clint Eastwood
2%
Random third party person no one else cares about
2%
RON PAUL AND AYN RAND!!!!!!
9%
Ross Perot and Admiral Stockdale
No votes
An Ewok and Admiral Ackbar
14%
Top & EB
12%

Total votes: 43

Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

We get to sing "God Save the Queen" here which is awesome!

Also, in Canada engineers get iron rings because we're cooler than other countries.

So while I've been watching the news about the election I also have been watching Criminal Minds. It's a funny combination now, because you see Romney acting all nice and kind about Obama winning, but inside you know he's all criminal-minds-raging. And then you're scared about when he's all of a sudden going to switch and become scary, because that's always what happens on Criminal Minds. Like today this guy just got fired from his job (in the CM episode) and then he all of a sudden went out and tried to kill a dog, and then kidnapped his boss later in the day. But I guess I need to realize that this isn't CM...
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Tumblr posts, but ya know, I'd rather not link to tumblr for your own protection. ;)

Last edited by jasonjannajerryjohn on Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m not surprised by this outcome at all, but I am deeply disappointed. Not because ‘my guy’ didn’t win, because I have so little faith in the American people I’m afraid they didn’t put as much thought into this as they should have.
I see most of the country as ignorant people with short attention spans who don’t care enough to actually look into the truth of things and instead just go with whatever they hear. I sincerely hope I’m wrong in that assessment, but that’s how I see them.
If the majority of the nation truly believes in what Obama stands for and reelected him to continue on with that, then that’s one thing. I disagree with it, but more people disagree with me. That’s how democracy works. But I believe far too many people couldn’t care less about his actual policies, they just support him because he’s hip or cool or connects with people better than Romney, and that not only makes me sad, it makes me mad. Those are not reasons to elect someone President of the United States, those are reasons to elect him class president of a high school.
A few weeks ago I was flipping through radio stations and briefly stopped on a talk show that was having people call in with who they were voting for and why. The caller I heard made me literally sick to my stomach. She simply said, and this is a direct quote, “I’m voting for Obama because he was smart enough to marry Michelle.” At that moment, I knew my country was doomed.
Then there’s the story that over half of voters said that Obama’s handling of Sandy was a factor in their vote for him, and 15% said it was the most important issue to them in their vote. Not that it was something they considered, that it was the most important. What?! It was a fluke that that whole thing even happened at all, much less when it did. How can that one moment in time be your basis for putting someone in power for four years?
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Actually Sandy happened because of climate change. But that's a whole other can of worms that I'm certainly not prepared to talk about right now mostly because I am spectacularly ignorant on how climate change actually works.

Also I'm gonna answer the rest of your post with what Hadassah said:

Hadassah wrote: I like what Winston Churchill said. He said that the best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter. I really believe that. So many voters seem to be uninformed, it's ridiculous.
And let me remind you, Dems aren't the only ones uninformed. How many people just in here thought Romney should win because they hated Obama or they thought Obama was the anti-christ or they thought Obama was a Muslim or something else silly like that?
Last edited by jasonjannajerryjohn on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Sir Winston speaks the truth. The very tragic truth.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

bookworm wrote:... because I have so little faith in the American people I’m afraid they didn’t put as much thought into this as they should have.
I see most of the country as ignorant people with short attention spans who don’t care enough to actually look into the truth of things and instead just go with whatever they hear. I sincerely hope I’m wrong in that assessment, but that’s how I see them.
If the majority of the nation truly believes in what Obama stands for and reelected him to continue on with that, then that’s one thing.
I voted because I looked at the truth and don't just go with what I hear. I put plenty of thought into it. I'm not a single (or even double) issue voter. I pay attention to the whole spectrum, and not what the news organizations tell me. I voted for the person I thought would best run our country for the next four years. Our president.

I try to mostly stay away from politics here, but I'm semi-offended by your suggestion that people who voted for our president weren't paying attention. Please don't make accusations like that. And feel free to call me out if I ever do the same to you. :)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

darcie wrote:I'm semi-offended by your suggestion that people who voted for our president weren't paying attention. Please don't make accusations like that.
I never suggested that everyone who voted for him weren’t, and that line wasn’t even directed exclusively at Democrats. There are uninformed people voting for both parties, it’s not an accusation it’s a fact. I’ve met them. I’m glad you’re not one of them.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

bookworm wrote:
darcie wrote:I'm semi-offended by your suggestion that people who voted for our president weren't paying attention. Please don't make accusations like that.
I never suggested that everyone who voted for him weren’t, and that line wasn’t even directed exclusively at Democrats. There are uninformed people voting for both parties, it’s not an accusation it’s a fact. I’ve met them. I’m glad you’re not one of them.
It's the people like my friends teacher, who told her that he was voting for Obama only because he didn't want someone in office who had never had less than a million dollars in his bank account. Now that is a dumb reason to vote for someone. If you go through and look at the issues, then by all means vote for whoever you think will do the job the best. It's just dumb to vote for someone because of a silly reason like skin color or whatever
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Jesus' Princess wrote:It's the people like my friends teacher, who told her that he was voting for Obama only because he didn't want someone in office who had never had less than a million dollars in his bank account. Now that is a dumb reason to vote for someone. If you go through and look at the issues, then by all means vote for whoever you think will do the job the best. It's just dumb to vote for someone because of a silly reason like skin color or whatever
I would guess the root meaning behind the concept of not voting for someone who never had a small bank account would be that they don't think someone who has only been rich can relate to what most of America goes through. While they may not have expressed that fully to you, I think that is a perfectly valid reason. If you can't relate to the real people that live in this country, you probably won't be able to connect with what the real needs of the country really are. And that's a real issue facing us today.

At least that would be my translation. :)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Frankly I'm appalled that rich people are even allowed to live at all. :noway: President Obama's autobiography reads like the Great American Biography of every American--so, so relatable. \:D/
Jelly wrote:I’m not surprised by this outcome at all, but I am deeply disappointed. Not because ‘my guy’ didn’t win, because I have so little faith in the American people I’m afraid they didn’t put as much thought into this as they should have.
If the majority of the nation truly believes in what Obama stands for and reelected him to continue on with that, then that’s one thing. I disagree with it, but more people disagree with me. That’s how democracy works. But I believe far too many people couldn’t care less about his actual policies, they just support him because he’s hip or cool or connects with people better than Romney, and that not only makes me sad, it makes me mad. Those are not reasons to elect someone President of the United States, those are reasons to elect him class president of a high school.
A few weeks ago I was flipping through radio stations and briefly stopped on a talk show that was having people call in with who they were voting for and why. The caller I heard made me literally sick to my stomach. She simply said, and this is a direct quote, “I’m voting for Obama because he was smart enough to marry Michelle.” At that moment, I knew my country was doomed.
Then there’s the story that over half of voters said that Obama’s handling of Sandy was a factor in their vote for him, and 15% said it was the most important issue to them in their vote. Not that it was something they considered, that it was the most important. What?! It was a fluke that that whole thing even happened at all, much less when it did. How can that one moment in time be your basis for putting someone in power for four years?
I feel the same way... in 2008 I thought then Senator Obama was a bad choice, but McCain/Palin was a poor ticket and the Republican party was far from popular after eight years of President Bush, so it was no shock at all that he won. He was unproven, I was willing to give him a shot--and with a handful of good things here and there, overall he has done a poor job. Not really entirely sure how a majority of voters can still support him after things have turned out as they have, but then again the democrats have spent the last few years convincing the general public that Republicans are sub-human and Mitt Romney is one of the most evil people ever who only wants to take money from poor people and give it to his RICH CRONIES. And lots and lots of people want free stuff and will vote for the person who promises them the most. It's frustrating to live off of a low paying part time job and see other people better off financially without even having to go to a job they hate every day... but that is what America has decided to become apparently.

On the bright side, it will all collapse sooner than later and then we can all see what its like to live in Mad Max! \:D/
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

And I bet most of the people who are all like, "EWWWW RICH PEOPLE!!!" would trade bank accounts in a flash. So it's not that some people like Romney are rich, it's HE is rich and I am not.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Dr. Watson wrote:And I bet most of the people who are all like, "EWWWW RICH PEOPLE!!!" would trade bank accounts in a flash. So it's not that some people like Romney are rich, it's HE is rich and I am not.
Well it's not like Obama's exactly poor..
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I thought everyone lived in a multi-million dollar mansion by the time they were 30 except me?
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Obama earned his money in a different way. Much of his current wealth came from royalties from his book, but he also won a Nobel peace prize and donated the entire amount to five different charities. And he made some key investments when he was younger, mostly for college preparation for his daughters.

Feel free to look it up. It's actually quite interesting.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:Actually Sandy happened because of climate change. But that's a whole other can of worms that I'm certainly not prepared to talk about right now mostly because I am spectacularly ignorant on how climate change actually works.
Ok here's the explanation for Sandy that I didn't know earlier:

Last edited by jasonjannajerryjohn on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Oba-rai wrote:Obama earned his money in a different way. Much of his current wealth came from royalties from his book, but he also won a Nobel peace prize and donated the entire amount to five different charities. And he made some key investments when he was younger, mostly for college preparation for his daughters.

Feel free to look it up. It's actually quite interesting.
How did he get rich before anyone knew who he was, though? I honestly have no idea. JJJJ needs to post a video for me to not watch about it.

And all of Mitt Romney's wealth came from him being awesome and earning it. When daddy George Romney died, Mittens donated the entirety of his inheritance to charity. I point that out only because a lot of people assume he just inherited all his wealth but HE DID NOT! :x Not that anyone here said that he did, but I think its pretty awesome to give a fortune to charity. >_>
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

The Top Crusader wrote:How did he get rich before anyone knew who he was, though? I honestly have no idea. JJJJ needs to post a video for me to not watch about it.
You should watch some of those videos some time. You might learn something. Like that video that explained the deficit you never bothered to watch that would have answered your questions.
The Top Crusader wrote:And all of Mitt Romney's wealth came from him being awesome and earning it. When daddy George Romney died, Mittens donated the entirety of his inheritance to charity. I point that out only because a lot of people assume he just inherited all his wealth but HE DID NOT! :x Not that anyone here said that he did, but I think its pretty awesome to give a fortune to charity. >_>
Much like Obama giving Nobel Prize money to charity?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:How did he get rich before anyone knew who he was, though? I honestly have no idea. JJJJ needs to post a video for me to not watch about it.
You should watch some of those videos some time. You might learn something. Like that video that explained the deficit you never bothered to watch that would have answered your questions.
I don't need a random dork on the internet to tell me about something I already know. >_>
The Top Crusader wrote:And all of Mitt Romney's wealth came from him being awesome and earning it. When daddy George Romney died, Mittens donated the entirety of his inheritance to charity. I point that out only because a lot of people assume he just inherited all his wealth but HE DID NOT! :x Not that anyone here said that he did, but I think its pretty awesome to give a fortune to charity. >_>
Much like Obama giving Nobel Prize money to charity?
Sure, but he was PRESIDENT at the time so its not like he did it without any scrutiny. Plus his conscious probably would have killed him for stupidly getting the Nobel Prize anyway if he didn't give the winnings away.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

The Top Crusader wrote:
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:
I don't need a random dork on the internet to tell me about something I already know. >_>
Much like yourself? Look, you don't know everything. You might benefit from learning some things just like the rest of us. And you might even learn something you don't already know. -legasp- I know. Humility is key.

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

This is a discussion forum, not a post a random video of some guy who I doubt has a magical knowledge fountain that no one else has access to forum.