US Election 2012 Discussion Topic

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

I cast my fake internet ballot for:

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden
21%
Governor Willard Mitt Romney and Congressman Paul Ryan
33%
Governor Gary Johnson and whoever he is running with
7%
I tried to vote for Al Gore, but the butterfly ballot confused me and I voted for Pat Buchanan
No votes
Dementia-addled Clint Eastwood
2%
Random third party person no one else cares about
2%
RON PAUL AND AYN RAND!!!!!!
9%
Ross Perot and Admiral Stockdale
No votes
An Ewok and Admiral Ackbar
14%
Top & EB
12%

Total votes: 43

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It seems most liberals I know continue to insist President Obama will absolutely no matter what win the election, but polling trends are now sliding pretty heavy to Romney. Now its far from over and I am in no way insisting that Romney will absolutely win no matter what... only that its far from over and if the polls are so soft that it can slide back and forth there is no reason to insist that EITHER is going to win in a landslide at this point. The post-debate polling is going well but could quickly disappear if the other debates go badly for Romney (and Ryan in his this week). Even though the popular vote had been just a couple points in Obama's favor overall, the important swing-states have favored him heavily until just the last few days. As I'm sure I said, I could still easily see a very close popular vote with a "landslide" looking electoral college if either candidate tips most of the swing states.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Remember to get out and vote tomorrow!

And then sit back and hope that the 538 people who actually elect the president make a decent decision.

;)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Anyone have any final predictions before election day?

The optimist in me wants to say MITTENS R-MONEY IN A LANDSLIDE but realistically looking at polls it looks more like Romney will win back a few traditionally red states like Indiana, North Carolina, and a good shot at Florida and Virginia... but beyond that current trends aren't entirely positive (even those last two states have started to look worse for him in the last week). I do however think some of the polling is suspect in cases where they are using 2008 numbers as their models, were Republican turnout was low and Democrat turnout was a super high. I don't think the two numbers have literally reversed but without a doubt enthusiasm is lower for the President than it was four years ago, and Mitt Romney is far more popular than John McCain was among the party faithful, and has drawn significantly larger crowds than McCain in 2008 and President Obama this go around. I was turned away from two rallies myself due to overflowing crowd size.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

I do think Obama will win ... although honestly, as much as I'm an Obama supporter, I don't think it will matter so much. If Mittens wins, he will shift right back to the center moderate person he's always been and basically be a white, richer, slightly less good-looking version of Obama! \:D/
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Is he going to get hit in the face with an iron at his inauguration? Because otherwise he is far handsomer. :noway:
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

I thought these were relevant.

Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

If I were a liberal and saw this I would instantly convert to whatever religion Ronald Reagan heads up after seeing this.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Does Reagan head up the religion of dino Jesus?

Also, you didn't even watch the videos I posted. Shame on you.
Last edited by jasonjannajerryjohn on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

The Top Crusader wrote:Anyone have any final predictions before election day?
Obama will win. He only has to win a couple of swing states, whereas Romney has to win almost all of them (and only has the lead in a few at best). A lot of Romney supporters are going to be very disappointed since the media (and conservative pundits) have made them think that it's a toss-up, when really Romney has almost zero chance of winning.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Jeremy wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:Anyone have any final predictions before election day?
Obama will win. He only has to win a couple of swing states, whereas Romney has to win almost all of them (and only has the lead in a few at best). A lot of Romney supporters are going to be very disappointed since the media (and conservative pundits) have made them think that it's a toss-up, when really Romney has almost zero chance of winning.
That's true since he can't convince 47% of Americans to vote for him no matter what, he's pretty much a goner. :(
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

OK, I'm ready to call the race. ;) Obama won. He's up 4 in the Ohio exit poll, and will almost certainly win Nevada. That's all he needs to get past 270.

EDIT: I just noticed Obama even has a slight lead in NC exits. It's definitely over.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Don't you just love the screwed up electoral college system? Because I know I don't.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I don't understand all the hatin' on the electoral college. What's the issue with it?
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

It's an obsolete mechanic from a bygone era.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:

It's an obsolete mechanic from a bygone era.
Sorry, not able to watch the video at this point. :( What makes it obsolete, in your opinion?
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Watch the video, it'll explain it. Sad you can't watch it though. :( I'll summarize the video's point though for the moment, but do go back and watch it. It's much better at explaining it than me.

The EC is obsolete because back at the end of the 1700s when this country started the easiest way to deliver your voting information was to send a representative on a horse with your voting information to Washington and he'd vote for the entire colony. But now that we have the ability to transmit data very quickly across the world, this system is obsolete, we've just not actually changed it.

And there are various problems with it other than being obsolete, hence the video. ;D
Last edited by jasonjannajerryjohn on Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I've got $10,000 dollars on Romney.

Ya, I haven't done much research about the issue, but it does seem like the electoral college is a bit obsolete.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I'm watching the progress in Florida... And it's incredibly interesting to watch...

It's currently at 49.8% Obama, 49.3% Romney, and about 0.9% third-party candidates...

The suspense is killing me...
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Well, Obama won. And, last I checked, Romney was ahead with the popular vote.