The Hobbit: That Christopher Tolkien Did Not Like

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

orangie wrote:
Godzilla wrote:Yeah I don't really care anyway, but three films seems dumb for one children's book. I mean the lengthier books in the LotR trilogy only got one movie per book... not sure why the shortest gets 3. Except that they want more monies.
I totally agree. I think they like taking my money.
I've heard that they're incorporating things from other parts of the mythos of Middle-Earth. The fact that they're actually casting Christopher Lee as Saruman [and that's all I've got to say about that] was an early indicator of this, given that he was only ever mentioned in the book... but if you open up the Silmarillion and stuff, there's a lot more where that came from.
Last edited by Caswin on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
Sparrow
Processing

Post by Sparrow »

Caswin wrote:I've heard that they're incorporating things from other parts of the mythos of Middle-Earth. The fact that they're actually casting Christopher Lee as Saruman back in his "Necromancer" days was an early indicator of this, given that he was only ever mentioned in the book... but if you open up the Silmarillion and stuff, there's a lot more where that came from.
What? Saruman was the Necromancer? I was always under the impression that Sauron was the Necromancer, not Saruman. Now I'm very confused. :-k
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Sparrow wrote:What? Saruman was the Necromancer? I was always under the impression that Sauron was the Necromancer, not Saruman. Now I'm very confused. :-k
Grrrrrrrrrah. You are correct. I have a reason for the elf thing, at least, but I'm not sure where that came from. ... Well, Saruman is in it, anyway.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
Marc.
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by Marc. »

I can't wait for this. And I honestly don't mind that it's three movies. The Hobbit was a children's book, so they're incorporating more of Middle-Earth lore to make it longer and more mature, to stand up to the LOTR trilogy.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Yes, they are using a lot of the appendixes, from the end of ROTK, like the White Council. It will also show Gandalf's travels after he left Bilbo and the dwarves in Mirkwood. I am very excited for this movie, I have faith that Peter Jackson isn't going to let us down.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

There is nothing better than seeing the appendix of a book brought to film.
Sparrow
Processing

Post by Sparrow »

The Top Crusader wrote:There is nothing better than seeing the appendix of a book brought to film.
Oh, you speak such truth. \:D/
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

They're bringing in the Necromancer and Dul Goldur into the third film... and seeing as it comes out like seven months after the second, I doubt it'll be really long... it'll be pretty awesome, though, especially if he gets to take over Mirkwood. (or whatever it is he does witht e forest. My Middle Earth hsitory is a bit rusty.)
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Caswin wrote:Something that keeps getting passed around on Answers.com describes them as being "lesser in stature", but I can't find a source for that.
I believe the "lesser in stature" phrase is used to describe the depth of knowledge and fairness of the Mirkwood elves because they are less wise and fair than the elves of Rivendell and Lothlorien. (If memory serves, the Mirkwood elves are descended from elves who never returned to the Undying Lands, while the elves of Rivendell and Lothlorien are descendants of elves who did spend some time in Valinor.)
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

New trailer available:

Radagast, and riddles, and rock giants oh my!
Last edited by BlessedCheesemaker on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

It looks epic! And Gollum doesn't look to horrible. Captain's a bit upset at that, but I'm not. The Hobbit looks...epic, to say the least.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Oh man, that looks AMAZING. \:D/

Can't wait till December 14th.

Till the end of the line.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Gollum looks 50 years younger... which is fantastic, since he's supposed to be. \:D/

I.CAN'T.WAIT.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

The new trailer has a LOT more material than I was expecting. O_O Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just didn't think that we would get to see so much \:D/

85 days left, everyone ;)
*insert provocative quote here*
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I think those "rock giants" are the trolls from chapter two. I'm on chapter nine of The Hobbit, it's my first time reading it, and I should finish just in time for the movie! \:D/ I'm excited, to say the least.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

Yeah that'd be weird. But I gotta say, their babies would be straight up badbutts!

Love Peace, Love music, Love life.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Shennifer wrote:Oh man, that looks AMAZING. \:D/

Can't wait till December 14th.
I'M HAVING MY BIRTHDAY PARTY AT THE MIDNIGHT PREMIER!!
Anyone's welcome to join me!
\:D/ :mrgreen: :D
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Aw man, that'd be awesome to join you for your party and for seeing The Hobbit :) Unfortunately, I live too far away :(

Till the end of the line.
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

Woody wrote:I think those "rock giants" are the trolls from chapter two.
No, there are rock giants in the Misty Mountains during the storm. They are throwing boulders at each other and one of the reasons that the dwarves, Gandalf and Bilbo take shelter in the cave.
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I'm actually very interested in the thematic style of this latest venture to Middle Earth. The first trailer was a lot.. darker, a little more serious in tone, and more likely to send chills down your back. This second one is a whole lot more in keeping with the original spirit of the book.

It's probably been an interesting balance for Jackson.. because the book itself is so much more lighthearted and 'fun' when compared to the later depth found in the Lord of the Rings books, yet the studio is probably pushing to market this as a 'sequel' and there's a high standard of expectation for the Hobbit to be as large-scale and 'epic' as the Lord of the Rings was. And given all the rumors regarding everything Jackson has done with the Return of the King appendixes and Gandalf's character, I fear that this new trilogy will spend far more time trying to tie itself into the Lord of the Rings cannon and less time letting itself simply be the fun, exciting stand-alone that it was originally written to be.

Still excited for it, though. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait