Computer Design

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Computer Design

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

So I was thinking about this today, does anyone know why people put the fans on the bottom of the computer? I mean laptops. It just tends to be an annoyance because the computer overheats and occasionally turns off from it, but I'm sure there's some reason for it being there.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

My last computer (that I loved) had that problem and I used it until it was shutting off nearly every 5 minutes. It was sad. :(
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

On my MacBook the vents are on the back of the bottom part not underneath it, the fans actually got caught up at one one point and my computer would get REALLY hot. There was a simple fix I found though, just punch (yeah, literally punch) the area above the keyboard
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Where else would you put it? Laptops have limited space by design.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

bookworm wrote:Where else would you put it? Laptops have limited space by design.
Exactly.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

My laptop has a side vent and vents in the hinges of the screen, no bottom vents. \:D/ Seriously though, laptops really aren't meant to actually literally sit on your lap, it's a bit of a misnomer tbh. I know a lot of people use them that way, but it's really not a good idea, they should be set on a surface like a table or something.
...I hate marquees.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Yeah my current laptop (a sony vaio) has side vents. Also, J-man, no way, I only put my computer on a surface in class, the rest of the time I'm chilling in the lazy boy with my laptop! \:D/
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

My laptop sits on a desk.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah, the vents are on the sides. JJJJ was talking about the fan.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Fans large enough to provide enough cooling for the processor can't be facing the sides of a laptop. The intake or outflow can be on the side, but the only place with enough surface area for the other direction of airflow is the top or bottom of the laptop. Which makes me think, so why isn't the fan on the top, above the keyboard?

And originally I bet the intention was for laptops to be on a person's lap, before processors were fast enough to get this hot.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: