War Horse

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
War Horse

Post by Sapphire »

So, what do you all think of the movie, War Horse?

I saw it a few days ago, and I loved it. It is one of my favorite movies of all time. It was beautiful, dramatic, powerful, and inspiring. It is one of the few movies that has caused me to shed a few tears. I would recommend this movie to every single person out there.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I don't want to sound rude saying this :anxious:

...but, am I the only person who dislikes movies about horses? I mean, I've seen quite a few...and they're always so...predictable :|
*insert provocative quote here*
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:I don't want to sound rude saying this :anxious:

...but, am I the only person who dislikes movies about horses? I mean, I've seen quite a few...and they're always so...predictable :|
I understand what you mean. If I wasn't such a horse lover, I would probably feel the same way.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Oh, I love horses \:D/

But not movies about 'em :(
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:I don't want to sound rude saying this :anxious:

I totally agree with that statement. Not that horse movies aren't good, I kind of like them, but they are rather predictable.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:Oh, I love horses \:D/

But not movies about 'em :(
Well, I have seen some horse movies that I wasn't that crazy about either, but War Horse is really worth seeing in my opinion.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I'm also not a fan a horse movies in general; I mean, they're horses. Movies are supposed to be about people that talk. :x

However, this looks really good. Epic and memorable. It will undoubtedly be nominated for Best Picture, so I will surely watch it soon.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

I'll probably watch it when its on DVD. It does sound good. :)
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

American Eagle wrote:I'm also not a fan a horse movies in general; I mean, they're horses. Movies are supposed to be about people that talk. :x
Can't they be about animals who talk? :(
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:
American Eagle wrote:I'm also not a fan a horse movies in general; I mean, they're horses. Movies are supposed to be about people that talk. :x
Can't they be about animals who talk? :(
ONLY if it is animated (The Lion King, Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, Shrek, Ice Age). Unless the title includes "Narnia", all live-action movies with talking animals should never be made.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I saw it Christmas day, and it was touching. I'm not a horse fan like my sister is, neither the history fan, but I fell in love with the movie. It may have been about Joey, the horse, but honestly, it was about EVERYONE. Telling the story of war horses in WWI, of those in the war. "The war takes everything and everyone" - an accurate statement voiced in the movie and the book.

I'll put this under a spoiler, but it doesn't really spoil anything. The movie is more or less about:
the movie follows Joey from birth until the end of the war. There is a happy ending. But it follows the horses journey as it touches first Albert, his first real friendship/human relationship, then Captain Nicholls, the young Captain who buys Joey, then two German boys, then Emily and her grandfather, then the germans and pulling canons, and then the end, which does have a happy ending. I won't spoil it for you all the way, but honestly, it isn't so much about the horse as the journey, as Joey touches each life. "The war takes everything and everyone."
It was well worth seeing, and I want to see it again. Granted, I went for Steven Spielberg being all awesome, and then Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumerbatch and David Thewlis, but I fell in love with every character, each story, each life style and life within the story told. It's touching, powerful, and thoughtful.

And as for the conversation on here... communication is in many forms. Verbal, nonverbal - and beyond. Honestly, in War Horse, you can tell what Joey is thinking, is gonna do at times. The horses used for Joey were fantastic and amazing. *there were 11 of them, btw. 1 foal, 2 teenagers, and 8 adults.*

If you get the chance, I totally approve of this movie. :)
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:I saw it Christmas day, and it was touching. I'm not a horse fan like my sister is, neither the history fan, but I fell in love with the movie. It may have been about Joey, the horse, but honestly, it was about EVERYONE. Telling the story of war horses in WWI, of those in the war. "The war takes everything and everyone" - an accurate statement voiced in the movie and the book.

I'll put this under a spoiler, but it doesn't really spoil anything. The movie is more or less about:
the movie follows Joey from birth until the end of the war. There is a happy ending. But it follows the horses journey as it touches first Albert, his first real friendship/human relationship, then Captain Nicholls, the young Captain who buys Joey, then two German boys, then Emily and her grandfather, then the germans and pulling canons, and then the end, which does have a happy ending. I won't spoil it for you all the way, but honestly, it isn't so much about the horse as the journey, as Joey touches each life. "The war takes everything and everyone."
It was well worth seeing, and I want to see it again. Granted, I went for Steven Spielberg being all awesome, and then Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumerbatch and David Thewlis, but I fell in love with every character, each story, each life style and life within the story told. It's touching, powerful, and thoughtful.

And as for the conversation on here... communication is in many forms. Verbal, nonverbal - and beyond. Honestly, in War Horse, you can tell what Joey is thinking, is gonna do at times. The horses used for Joey were fantastic and amazing. *there were 11 of them, btw. 1 foal, 2 teenagers, and 8 adults.*

If you get the chance, I totally approve of this movie. :)
That does sound pretty good.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

This looks like the kind of movie that would be really good, but I would have to be in the right mood to watch it, because I don't really like sad movies or war movies that are realistic. They make me too sad. I know that sounds lame, but I don't want to sit and be sad for two hours, especially when I'm paying for the privilege. ;) I will probably see it eventually, but I won't be rushing to see it.
Eowyn18
Not as new

Post by Eowyn18 »

I loved this movie! It was cute and refreshingly innocent.
I hate most horse movies due to the fact that they are sooooo unrealistic! Anyone who really knows anything about horses realizes that 10 year-old girls who move from the city to the country cannot magically tame wild horses. In real life most of the horse movies I know of would end with the main character being killed or mortally injured!

Although War Horse did have some unrealistic moments in it, it's main focus was on people, not the horse. Kind of like Black Beauty. :)
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Post by ObiWan Kenobi Girl »

I really liked it!!! I almost cried! and that's saying something for me, lol! :P
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

I really want to see this! I probably will when it comes out. I do agree that horse movies are...predictable. And some are just plain stupid. Horse movies that I loved as a kid seem kind of lame when I watch them now. The Back Stallion movie could've been better with better actors. Black Beauty is a classic. Secretariat wasn't a horse movie. Just like you guys are saying, it was about the people. And yes, I'm your stereo-typical horse-crazy girl. But I will NEVER get to take horse-riding lessons. I only get to touch horses every few months at my aunts. I receive a horse magazine, jump for joy over every new horse series I find, and nearly scream over a new, good horse movie. But my 3rd favorite animal is a wolf. I'm "different". I could be a (somewhat) girly girl one second, and your everyday tomboy the next.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

I really want to watch but we have to wait to go to USA to even watch it more the less buy it
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/