Coronavirus

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Olympics will be "rescheduled to a date beyond 2020 but not later than summer 2021"

It will be interesting to see if this changes the rotation of the Summer Games going forward to odd years, or if they just have three years between this and the next one. Also whether this changes the scheduling of the Winter Games to maintain the two years between events.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Interesting thought. Because things are planned so far in advance, I assumed that they would just move this Olympics and leave all future dates intact. This is a unique situation, so it is possible that they would make additional changes.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I was able to buy a 2 roll package of paper towels yesterday at Walmart. First time since the pandemic started. The Walmart I bought them at limited purchase to one per customer. They had that same limit on milk too. No toilet paper to be had.
Last edited by Laurie on Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

bookworm wrote:
Haha thanks for sharing this, bookworm. The Girls Like You part made me laugh
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I went to the grocery store today and it seemed as occupied as it normally was before this virus happened. There was only one brand of toilet paper and of course they were limiting how many people can get. Almost everyone had on a kind of face mask and about half had gloves on as well. It was strange not seeing any kids at the store since they have been banned from going to any public places except for going to get medical attention.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The bigger chains in Canada have put some directional arrows (turning alternate aisles into one-way streets, so to speak) in the aisles of grocery stores to limit contact further. Is this happening other places too? I went shopping on Monday (the first time I had been out of my house in a week) and saw some people following the arrows and others not, but it wasn't clear to me if a few people were ignoring the arrows or just didn't notice them.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Catspaw wrote:The bigger chains in Canada have put some directional arrows (turning alternate aisles into one-way streets, so to speak) in the aisles of grocery stores to limit contact further. Is this happening other places too? I went shopping on Monday (the first time I had been out of my house in a week) and saw some people following the arrows and others not, but it wasn't clear to me if a few people were ignoring the arrows or just didn't notice them.
It seems like a lot of stores are implementing this strategy. I haven't actually been inside the grocery store for about a month since we've been doing curbside pickup, but that was what they were doing when my sister needed to pick up a few things last weekend. I think she also said they all had to wait in a spaced line outside because they were only letting in about 50 people at one time.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:The bigger chains in Canada have put some directional arrows (turning alternate aisles into one-way streets, so to speak) in the aisles of grocery stores to limit contact further. Is this happening other places too?
I haven't seen anywhere here do anything affecting navigation through the store, but every place that is still open has put markings on the floor in the checkout area for how far apart people are supposed to stay when waiting in lines.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Our stores are putting down a bunch of stickers on the floor around the checkout area that show everyone where to stand. They're also doing senior hours for a couple hours in the morning so seniors feel safer shopping. Sadly, a lady from one of my friend's church just passed away from the coronavirus if you all think of it, maybe pray for her family. :'(
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, I'm seeing seniors hours (usually the first hour a store is open) and stickers to show where to stand in line as well. It seems to be a standard thing then. It does make things feel a little safer and easier to know if you're far apart enough or not.

So sorry to hear about the lady who passed away, Danadelfos. I'll pray for her family and friends.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

MonkeyDude wrote:Every store in my town is completely out of bananas, which makes up like 50% of my diet (Oh the irony), and I'm a litttttle grouchy.
Username checks out.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Just came from my grocery store; since I was there last we now have the one way aisles as Catspaw described.

Also there are signs on the doors now saying you have to wait in a limited entry line to go in, though I didn't have to. I guess it wasn't busy enough at that time to enforce.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

If you guys have the luxury, I’d recommend going to your local grocery stores as opposed to your big box stores, there’s always a lower volume of people and they seem to be well stocked in my experience. Even they have converted to one way aisles in my area, but with no people in the aisles it isn’t that much of a hassle to backtrack.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, there are some items I'm able to get at a smaller locally owned store that has been a really good experience. They don't carry all the items I want, but for what they do carry, it's a much better experience than the bigger stores.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Oh my, somebody put a lot of effort into this! :lol: I like the Britishness of it.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I normally don't like parody covers of songs, but I liked this one. :lol:
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

That was great. Thank you for sharing bookworm!
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Our Walmart has started to implement the 1 way isles, but not everyone follows them.
ImageImageImage
logos linked