2012 Summer Olympics

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:The judging is weird this year...usually it's not this critical :(
I know. Usually I’ll just go ‘Aw come on, that should have been a little higher’ or ‘Woah, that was a little too high’ but this year it’s been ‘Are you crazy? There’s no way it’s worth that much!’ or ‘How did that score that low? Come on!’ One extreme or the other. >_>
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I absolutely agree. I'm not particularly partial to the new (well, it's not really "new" anymore :p ) judging system.
*insert provocative quote here*
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

How about Japan launching an inquiry to get onto the podium in the men’s team competition? That was pretty funny.

“Why did he have cash in his hand?” :lol:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I was happy to see Bradley Wiggins win gold today. I've become a fan of his since he won the Tour de France.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

bookworm wrote:
Musical Shutterbug wrote:The judging is weird this year...usually it's not this critical :(
I know. Usually I’ll just go ‘Aw come on, that should have been a little higher’ or ‘Woah, that was a little too high’ but this year it’s been ‘Are you crazy? There’s no way it’s worth that much!’ or ‘How did that score that low? Come on!’ One extreme or the other. >_>
Musical Shutterbug wrote:I absolutely agree. I'm not particularly partial to the new (well, it's not really "new" anymore :p ) judging system.
I know... Especially in Gymnastics...

I was perfectly happy with the 1-10 rating system.

8.58 was obviously high, while 4.63 was a fairly low score;
Pretty straight-forward...

Now it's all confusing and crazy...
Each routine (on each different event) has a different max. score, so by the time you figure out what the max. score is, the thing has flashed by and you don't even get to see what the actual score was...
Sometimes I caught a glipse of the deducted score, but I had a hard time getting to the actual score before it dissapeared...

Then I realized that they were using those red-yellow-green symbols (to show you if the score was considered high or low), but I still wanted to know how difficult the routine was (ie. why 15.833 was considered yellow), how many points were deducted (and why) etc.
By the time I looked at all that, I couldn't remember what the score was, and half the time, I couldn't even remember the color.
](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Eventually, I just gave up on trying to read the score, and I just listened to the crowd (and the annoucers) to see how good of a score they got...

bookworm wrote:How about Japan launching an inquiry to get onto the podium in the men’s team competition? That was pretty funny.

“Why did he have cash in his hand?” :lol:
At-first, I thought he was trying to bribe the officials...
:D

But, now that I think about it, requiring a payment for an inquiry does make a lot of sense.
That way, you don't file an inquiry for every teeny hiccup.

But seriously, I may have to adopt that policy myself...
"If I don't like your question, I'll just keep your money!"
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The USA/China volleyball game was crazy! Six match points! :o

I was really disappointed when Misty May and Kerri Walsh finally lost their first ever set. But after I thought about it, maybe it’s for the best. The important thing is to get that consecutive gold, the record was just a nice extra. Now they don’t have that pressure to keep it up and can focus entirely on getting the medal. They still have the undefeated match streak going, and only one lost set is still unbelievably impressive.

And Michael Phelps did make history! Twice!
Most ever medals, and first swimmer to get three consecutive gold medals in the same event! \:D/
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

The tie breaker really stinks for Aly. >_>
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Yeah, I know. That must have been horrible.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Phelps pulled off an amazing feat. He's definitely one of the world's best athletes in history.

Also, USA basketball crushed Nigeria shooting 30-37 inside the line and 20-30 from outside combining for 50-67, WOW. That's what I call lights out shooting, Carmelo was on FIRE.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That feature on the Magnificent Seven was incredible. US Olympic history has so many amazing stories.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I know. That was awesome.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The USA/Canada match that just ended was the greatest soccer game I’ve ever seen! Even though I only watched it from the last 10 minutes or so of regulation time on. Two extra periods, and then a great last second winning goal! It was weird that there seemed to be an injury about every two minutes though.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Beach volleyball finals are going to be intense. All-american. Kessey/Ross vs Treanor/Walsh.... WHO. WILL. WIN!?!?!
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Treannor/Walsh. Duh.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Maaaaaaan I wouldn't be so sure.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

People watch beach volleyball for the sport of it?
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Wow, how about Ally Raisman losing a medal in the all around because of a tie breaker but then winning a medal on balance beam because of a tie breaker? Crazy.
And I’m now an even bigger fan of the Károlyis.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

That was great...though, I missed most of it. =[
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

I enjoyed this Olympics' gymnastics competition more than 2008's, and I'm thrilled for Aliya Mustafina, who is just awesome, and I'm very happy for Gabby Douglas, who rose above the complaints that she was a "headcase" and couldn't contribute to the team come London, but poor Viktoria Komova makes me so sad that I can't find that much joy in the whole thing. I love gymnastics, but all the drama regarding judging and medals and such just make me a little heartsick.

That, and the announcers annoy me so much. Eh. Now I'm just waiting for the closing ceremony. Track and field has been interesting, though. I do wish they'd show more equestrian sports.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Kairi, everyone knows the only sport that really matters is basketball. :noway: