Wisdom Teeth

Oh, the Agony!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Wisdom Teeth

Post by Jacob Isom »

So you might be wondering if you're ever going to have to get your wisdom teeth out. Having made it through 20 years of my life, I had my wisdom teeth out today. The procedure was the easy part. The post-wisdom loss is really painful, even with the Vicodin. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? I got a sheet of information and I'm just curious to know if there's a good remedy for quick recovery. :)

Sincerely,
The Wisdom-less

By the way, I had three taken out. I was blessed to not have four.
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Yea! I was only a 3/4-wit as well. (Want anymore silly dentist jokes?) My dentist dad took mine out after they'd already grown in, so no digging necessary. :D
Um... did they tell you to swish salty water? I think I remember that. If you have a Waterpik (which you prob don't) that also helps to flush gunk out. Just make sure to keep those holes clean so there's no infection. Alas I have no good solutions for the pain. :boohoo:
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

The salt water rinse is a great suggestion! Just keep rinsing!

Everyone should have a happy dance.
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

Just keep rinsing... just keep rinsing... just keep rinsing, rinsing, rinsing.

Yeah, I know, old jokes die hard fast. :) I have the info on swishing salt water. I'm kinda nervous about that whole experience tomorrow when I start. The Vicodin didn't work very well when the initial numbness went away, but now I've had my second dose and most of the pain is gone. God is good!
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

JacobIsom wrote:Just keep rinsing... just keep rinsing... just keep rinsing, rinsing, rinsing.
Are the meds making you hear Dory's voice?? ;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

The meds are keeping me up all night. That's a problem. Vicodin, I'm quickly discovering, is a lot like Excedrin Migraine in that it has tons of caffeine. I was drugged and tired all day, but now I'm really awake. Oh, I hate it.
Felicity Blackgaard
I'm not Gabe

Post by Felicity Blackgaard »

JACOB!!! *hug hug hugs* How are you doing? Ouch, not so good!

I've recently had my wisdom teeth pulled and the best medication for pain and inflammation would be Motrin IB, about 800 mg.

And drink some tea, like peppermint or wintergreen. Minty teas are good for pain and inflammation. :D

Hope that helps and it's great to see you around again. ^_~
Raskolnikov
Still standing tall

Post by Raskolnikov »

If you want a quick recovery, don't eat food that will get mashed in the tooth sockets and/or break the stitches. Eat soft stuff, and clean out the site(s) often. :) No pizza, or steak, or anything like that. :shame:

I had four wisdom teeth taken out, they knocked me out with an IV. I liked the IV, it makes you feel careless, and happy. I couldn't feel anything or see anything, but I kinda knew I existed. It was weird. Yeah, post-pulling was a little more painful. Blood, lots and lots of blood. It actually didn't really hurt that bad though, thankfully, I didn't have to take any of my pain meds. :-k

The best advise I can give you is keep it clean. Clean, clean, clean. :) And, yes, tea is a pain reliever.
"Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" -Battle Hymn of the Republic
"What we do in life, echos in eternity." -Maximus in Gladiator
>John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.<
How dare I call this love and not bear my cross to the end.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I had my wisdom teeth out too. Heavy meds yay! Vicoden is tricky stuff. I had it for foot surgery about 8 years ago and it did nothing. When I had it for my wisdonm teeth boy did it feel good. Well that and the fact that the surgery(all 4 out) screwed up my jaw and my TMJ so I had to take Soma AND vicoden..THAT was fun. No pain. \:D/

Keep medicated but make sure as soon as you start feeling "good" that you cut down on the meds.

Watch out for foods like someone else said. Be careful that you don't chew much. I ended up biting my tongue pretty decently while medicated. NOT fun.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Ironic thread actually. I get my teeth out this Friday! *cries followed by weeps*
I've heard so many mixed experiences. Some people are totally fine by the 24-hour mark, a girl on my volleyball team's sites got infected. AHHH!

“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

I got two of mine out a week ago (the other two I got out last summer). Anyway, apart from ice packs, take a rag and get it just a little wet then warm it up in the microwave then put it on your face. That really helped me. Try it. Other than that, just wait, give it about a week to 10 days then you should feel great!
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

Pepper Doyle wrote:Ironic thread actually. I get my teeth out this Friday! *cries followed by weeps*
I've heard so many mixed experiences. Some people are totally fine by the 24-hour mark, a girl on my volleyball team's sites got infected. AHHH!

It varies. When I had the first ones out, it was terrible! The second time around, not so bad.

Everyone should have a happy dance.
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

Well....I had all 4 out, only 1 was cut the rest were pulled. I probably would have died if they had all had to be cut. Everything was fine until the 3rd day. I couldn't completely open my mouth for about 2 months, and I swelled up like a lop-sided chipmunk.

I'm fine now...
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

Aram Doyle wrote:Well....I had all 4 out, only 1 was cut the rest were pulled. I probably would have died if they had all had to be cut. Everything was fine until the 3rd day. I couldn't completely open my mouth for about 2 months, and I swelled up like a lop-sided chipmunk.

I'm fine now...
Are you sure? You poor thing! Two months of turmoil. I would die!
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

It was interesting, I lived on refried beans, pudding, soup and chewing on only one side of my mouth. I got to have morphine in the surgeons office too!! \:D/ that was fun!
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

This thread really makes me look foward to getting mine out. My dentist/Orthodonist found out that my bottom set as least, is facing out and not up, so all my teeth won't be allowed to grow in. :(
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

Ow. I hope you feel better soon :-|

Aside from everyone else's good suggestions, a folky remedy I used was homeopathic arnica montana . . . it's often recommended for post-surgery to reduce swelling and bruising. Make sure you get the homeopathic stuff, though, since arnica itself is poisonous. It comes in a tiny tube with little white pills. I think it helped, but who knows, really. I just slept a lot in the week after the surgery, because being awake wasn't fun.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Latest fanfiction: Parting Words.
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

Pain relievers help ;-)
*returns*
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

Oh thanx alot for the comforting words people, I'm going to get mine out soon! :shame: Now I'm scared! :mad:
JacobIsom wrote:The meds are keeping me up all night. That's a problem. Vicodin, I'm quickly discovering, is a lot like Excedrin Migraine in that it has tons of caffeine. I was drugged and tired all day, but now I'm really awake. Oh, I hate it.
*looks forward to this part*
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

Raskolnikov wrote: I had four wisdom teeth taken out, they knocked me out with an IV. I liked the IV, it makes you feel careless, and happy. I couldn't feel anything or see anything, but I kinda knew I existed. It was weird.
Aw man, do I hate that feeling. I recently had a surgury on my mouth and they knocked me out with an IV. Anytime I think about it, I shiver because when I was under the influance of that stuff, I couldn't control my movements. I like being in control :-(
*returns*