AWANA

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

AWANA

Post by Conniepaw »

how many of you were in or are in the awana program??? it has changed soo much..i dont like it..i like the old program better. i was in awana up until 6th grade and now i work with the cubbies...they are adorable..what about you?
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

I was in AWANA from Cubbies to Guards, and now for the past 3 years I have been a leader. For the first year and a half I was a Sparks leader, an for the past year and a half I have been a Cubbies leader. :D
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

I was in Awana untill last year when I had to choose between the church's middle school program or Awana. I chose the middle school program. I didnt really like how my church switched from guards and indians and stuff like that to Truth And Training. Or, T and T. Though last year I got 1st place at the Bible Quizzing!
*returns*
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I did AWANA pretty much through high school then stopped to help with youth group. I found out my college gives scholarships for the citation award so I quickly finished up everything I had left and now I have my Citation! yay!!! \:D/
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I loved Awana. I loved the games the very best though. Since I've always loved sports. I was on the RED team! I loved the uniforms, the standing at attention and saying the Pledge of Alligence! It was all so great.

It was also where the majority of my spiritual growing came from, I can safely say, because that's where so much of the word was "hidden in my heart"! It was just great.

I was in the AWANA program from Sparks until Guards, I got the Timothy Award and everything . . . and our church took Gold at the Awana Olympics... my brother, sister, and I dominated at the Grand Prix because our dad helped us with our cars [and he's a genius at that stuff]. Then they made a rule he couldn't help us anymore. :D
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I got my Citation Award last month! \:D/ And went AWANA Scholarship Camp last month too! (Both extremely exciting.)

Frank's family is an AWANA family. :yes: I love it!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

When I lived in Indiana I was in Sparks. I had just completed the second book when we moved to MI. One of the churches we looked at said I would have to start from the first Sparks book. Needless to say we didn't go to that church (for other reasons of course). I liked Pionner Girls better actually.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I went to an AWANA thing in like the 4th grade with my brother, who had a friend who invited him to it. I got a free t-shirt. \:D/

I am not in AWANA, nor have I ever been. But I am in a bible quiz program called Bible Bowl with National Bible Bowl (hince the name. ;) ) You can find out all you want to know by either asking me or going to this website: www.biblebowl.com

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Linne

Post by Linne »

I was in AWANA through 6th grade, and since then I've been helping in different groups. I've worked in Cubbies, Sparks and Chums! But I've decided to stay with my adorable little kindergarteners! :D
Hope
You like me! You really like me!

Post by Hope »

ummmm... may i ask what AWANA is????? :anxious:
Aelwyn

Post by Aelwyn »

AWANA stands for Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed.
It's a kids program with different age groups. 3-4 year-olds are Cubbies; kindergaten-2nd grade is Sparks, and then there's 3-4 grade girls which is Chums; 3-4 grade boys - Pals; 5-6 grade girls - Guards; and 5-6 grade boys - Pioneers.
AWANA encourages kids to memorize verses. Every clubber has a book that has sections. Each section can have up to 4 or 5 verses depending on what book they're doing or if it's a review section. For eac section that the clubber says and the leader signs, the clubber gets one share, which is used like money on store nights or auction night. Usually at AWANA, they have snacks, play games, and listen to a message.
They get awards for finishing deifferent parts if their books.
Store nights are when there's a room with tables of goodies set up and the kids can come in and "buy" the items with their shares. Auction night is at the end of the year, and they auction off bigger items that the clubbers can bid on depending on how many shares there is.
At the very end of AWANA, there's a banquet night, and those who have finished their book get a book award of some sort. The book awards get bigger as they finish higher levels of books.

I hope that wasn't too complicated of an answer. :)
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

We have that in my denomination, as well. But, it's different. Anyways, is it my imagination or was there a topic about this long ago?
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

I was in Awana when I was little. So many memories...Grand Prix!
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

Ah yes, the grand prix. Me and my dad were COMPLEATLY unstoppable. In my first grand prix, I was 1st Place speed in the whole club, and 3rd place design for the 3rd graders. In the open I got 3rd place design. Then in 4th grade, I topped everyone again in speed and I got 1st place design in the grand prix open! This past year I got 1st place speed at the church and I got so close to getting 1st place speed in the open, but I got 2nd.
*returns*
Hope

Post by Hope »

not it wasnt confusing at all.... i was just very clueless... thanks though Karin
Linne

Post by Linne »

Kenric wrote:We have that in my denomination, as well. But, it's different. Anyways, is it my imagination or was there a topic about this long ago?
Well, I started one way back at the beginning of the board...
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I wish we still did the program at my church, I'd totally love to help lead it. Do the game time perhaps!! But we stopped doing it, then tried another kid's program that didn't work out, and now we don't have any special programs for the small kids.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Aelwyn

Post by Aelwyn »

Hope wrote:not it wasnt confusing at all.... i was just very clueless... thanks though Karin
You're welcome! I'm glad it wasn't confusing...I was kind of in a hurry when I was posting that.
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

I went to AWANA. I started in 3rd grade being a Indian girl or whatever, and then in 4th - 6th grade I did Truth and Training.

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

macnut24 wrote:I was in Awana when I was little. So many memories...Grand Prix!
I went to an AWANA camp in California a bunch of years ago and knew a guy with the last name "MacNut"...or something to that extent. :-k