In your 20s and an AIO fan

In your 20's and remember listening to AIO as a kid when episodes like Prodical Jimmy were brand new

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

What year did you star listening to AIO?

18%
7%
4%
11%
14%
7%
21%
18%

Total votes: 28

[email protected]
Just visiting

In your 20s and an AIO fan

Post by [email protected] »

I'm one of those "kids" who grew up listening to AIO all the time. In the car, with my dad at 3:30 every afternoon, even as I went to sleep at night. My dad and I have always had a game that there is an "AIO for everything" (He names something and I have to think of an AIO that applies). I even remember putting in the episode where connie's grandmother dies as I was driving with my parents to the hospital where my grandma was dying.
As the 20 somethings, we grew up on AIO and know a life filled with AIO lessons. And we still listen!!!
We are the group that can tell you everything about every episode. Can name all those strange AIO facts, and even know who else the actors play when not performing for AIO. We listened through highschool and college even when our friends thought it a bit strange. And now, as we continue to get older, we still listen! We are the AIO generation.

Let's remember and experience AIO together, and share all our good memories with the younger generation who barly remember Jack and Oscar.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I voted for 1992, since I know it's around there somewhere, though I couldn't say for sure. It's nice to have another older fan around, though there are quite a few on the ToO! \:D/

The game that you and your dad play sounds fun! :D I love it when something reminds me of an AIO ep and I look at my brother or sister and know that they're thinking of the same thing, or saying an appropriate AIO quote around people who don't know what I'm talking about, with at least one person who does!
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

Count me in. I'm one of those old-timers. It feels great to be an old fan of Odyssey.

(1991 all the way!)
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I voted for 1996 since I honestly cannot remember when I started listening to AIO.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I voted 95... It might well have been 94, but I can't remember. :(

I'm 17, so I remember when DBD was brand new! I had no idea what was going on, though, and I ended up not listening to half the episodes!
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

Kat wrote:17, so I remember when DBD was brand new! I had no idea what was going on, though, and I ended up not listening to half the episodes!
If your 17 then why does the age under your name say your 21? Are you pretending to be older than you are? :D
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I think I've been listening since around '92. My mom discovered AIO, and I've been listening since before I was old enough to understand what was going on!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

rickyderocher wrote:
Kat wrote:17, so I remember when DBD was brand new! I had no idea what was going on, though, and I ended up not listening to half the episodes!
If your 17 then why does the age under your name say your 21? Are you pretending to be older than you are? :D
17 is her real age and 21 is her RPG age. Simple, right? ;)

I remember when I first got DBD! \:D/ Wow, that was exciting! Except that was before I really loved "A Name, Not a Number" so I had only a vague recollection of it, and I thought that Dr. Blackgaard was dead. :anxious: Apparently I missed the end of ANNAN or something. ;) So it was rather shocking to get a new album and see Dr. Blackgaard on the cover when I was sure that he was dead!
[email protected]
Just visiting

DBD came out, and I was already an old fan!! The first episode I remember hearing really was Apple Sauce. But I was 6 so who really knows what the first one I remeber is. If you know the trivia, DBD was created to End AIO. They couldn't find another Whit voice, so they created DBD to end it. But then suddenly we had a new Whit, and no reason to end it. So they just continued.

I actually still own AIO on tape. I have volume one on tape. Whits flop included. It makes me sound so old when I say that. I'm acutally only 22 though.

I actually remember listening each week as DBD unfolded. Im not sure how old I was, but I know I was at least 13, because I had met my best AIO friend. He knew as much as I did about AIO. And we listened to DBD together. And I met him at 13 so.... ok now I do feel old lol.

One more post for the night. My favorate episode for many many years(and still very well may be, but there are just so many more to chose from now adays) was Windy City. This would be the one when Whit and Connie go to Chicago and end up meeting Dr. Blackgard. Connie gets kidnapped, there is that funny clown Pinky and we find out Dr. Blackgard's cat is named Sasha. Yes I actually remember all that off the top of me head! I was born and raised in Chicago, and always thought it funny how they talked about Ohare being such a huge airport, since I frequently traveled out of there. It actually does have it's own zipcode btw for those who are curious.

Please try not to double post. Use the edit button instead. Thanks, Me. :)
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

I'm not in my 20's...but my siblings are...and I have to say I think I've been listening to them since I was born--or REALLY little. (whether I remember or not.., :anxious: )

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

JacobIsom wrote:Count me in. I'm one of those old-timers. It feels great to be an old fan of Odyssey.

(1991 all the way!)
Me too! So it's not hard to figure out that I've been listening my whole life.

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

I voted 1994, but I just realized that I think it was actually '93. I was really little. Anyway, since people are talking about the Darkness Before Dawn episodes, I'll share my thoughts. I remember listening to the DBD eps on the radio when they first aired. I was actually out of town the week that "The Time Has Come" aired, and got back only to have a friend tell me that Eugene had become a Christian. The next weekend they re-aired that episode and I got to hear it, but I already knew the outcome. ](*,) Also, a few weeks later when Blackgaard blew up the tunnel and everything was silent for a few seconds, I remember my older sister saying "great! Jack is and Odyssey is over forever!" She scared me so much because I used to believe everything she said and thought it was true.

We own all but one album, and every one #37 and earlier is on tape. #4 is actually the old tapes with 1980's Whit outside on a path twisting through a park (at least, I think that's what it was). I'd like to upgrade all my old albums to CDs, but that's quite an investment!
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
[email protected]
Just visiting

Well, since this is the place for the old timers..... Jack and Oscar. I was listening to AIO online the other day and they replayed an episode with Jack in it. These two boys were some of the oldest supporting voices. They were the "kids" around town. They were basically the predisesors to Jared. My favorate Jack and Oscar episode is when they discover Wonderworld from Digger. It's a classic. I grew up with a backyard treehouse, and I always wanted it to look just like wonderworld. I had a trap door and everything.

Here's one more topic to toss out there. The first AIO videos. Rememeber those classics? Do most kids now even know what the Stratisfer (did I spell that right?) even is? I remember checking out the AIO videos from our public library for the first time, and watching Whit go to trial for the Cat Burglar.

Does anyone remember the AIO tape packets that came in twos? They would be two tapes, 4 stories. The packages were cardboard, ususally colors like purple, green, etc. I have a few of those, wondered if anyone else had them. I don't know when they came out, or what they were for. The episodes weren't by theme or anything either. Just random episodes. The Dawns Early Light. Melodies Diary, and Someone Two Watch over me were several that I have in the packages (they are packed waiting to me moved to my new place soon so I can't go look.).
"We live, we love, we forgive and never give up.'Cause the days we are given are gifts from above. And today we remember to live and to love."-SuperChic[k] (my life song)
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

I listend from birth! :-D well...near right after :-)
*returns*
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

[email protected] wrote: Here's one more topic to toss out there. The first AIO videos. Rememeber those classics? Do most kids now even know what the Stratisfer (did I spell that right?) even is? I remember checking out the AIO videos from our public library for the first time, and watching Whit go to trial for the Cat Burglar.
Poor Whit - he was such a bad guy. ;) I think it's the Strataflyer, isn't it? :-k I'm not entirely sure. I really liked the movies when I was younger, though I later realized that some of them really weren't very good. :(

Jack and Oscar were great kids! :D And Curt Stevens, with all of his schemes!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I listened since it first started! \:D/
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

For me it was not until 1998 :( when I was already 20!
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

I listened from the beginning. Yes, Jack and Oscar and their lovely summer detective work....or how bout the Kirbins (or however you spell that family's name) whose house Lucy was afraid to walk by on her way to school....or "Lucy, you squealed! Admit it you squealed!" "Yes Heather, I did, I told my Mother" "That's right, and she told my mother, and now I'm in big trouble" sigh.
[email protected]
Just visiting

The Kirbins. What a classic episode. It's funny to think about that being over 10 years ago, and yet that episode is so perfect to be replayed today. Not just because it teaches Lucy to trust people not from how they look, but for who they are, but because it deals with a racial issue we still face today.
The Kirbins were of middle eastern decent, and this made everything think they were killers. Even today many people still seem to have this thought process. It's amazing how Odyssey values transend an entire generation of listeners and are still relavent. Thanks for that awesome reminder of an old forgotten episode.

Hope to hear about more forgotten episodes from those early days of Odyssey from all of you.
"We live, we love, we forgive and never give up.'Cause the days we are given are gifts from above. And today we remember to live and to love."-SuperChic[k] (my life song)
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

Curt and Lucy...Oscar, Jack, Robin & Melanie, Pam...

I love all the old ones!

Yes, I remember the movies. I remember I'd go to some of my friends houses and be like--let's watch an odyssey movie! Dylon and Jessie :D and...what was the dog's name (and the cat) goodness...I can't remember. I haven't seen any of those movies in a long time! I remember the Strataflyer too...yay!

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...